NEWS

[SR5] Street Scum level Hacking

• 5 Replies

lawndart

• Newb
« on: <01-20-14/1232:17> »
Hey All,
  I have a Street Scum level game spinning up and I'm trying to come up with some appropriate Matrix type hosts for gangbangers in the Barrens. There is always the local ShopThatSellsThings, whatever augs/gear people are running with wireless enabled, and the comlink everybody has. What other interesting sorts of things might be lurking around (and that would be, you know, approachable for a crappy hacker, no illicit corp research facilities)?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <01-21-14/0044:17> »
How about these ideas:

• A corp kid goes slumming it and leaves his car woefully undefended.  The team hacks the car to open up the locks and ignition, then takes it for a spin.  Assuming the cops don't find them in time, they'd likely ditch the car.  Spin-off from this would be if the kid hired a terribad runner team to try to get revenge.
  • StufferShack is having a sale on Nerps.  The supply is about to go through the roof to accommodate the demand.  The runners are hired to sabotage the sale by hacking the store's node and adjusting the sale timing.  Someone then can come in and buy all the Nerps at the sale price 24 hours in advance.  This of course makes the local community angry as they were hoping to get a great deal.  If they find out who's behind the adjustment.....
  • A gang has hired the runners to help guard their BTL courier(s).  While en route, the team gets ambushed and they have to hide out in a warehouse.  The door to the warehouse is a maglock though, and no one has the tools to physically disable it.
  • Mr. Johnson hires the runners to break into a facility in the Barrens.  The facility should have low-end security which allows the runners to easily get past everything.  The break-in was a test of the security forces though, and now all the guards are fired and looking for payback.
  • The runners have to go into the Underground to go looking for someone.  It's not an extraction per se, but rather some bodyguard work with an unwilling client.  In order to get to the client's location, the team needs to hack some security cameras to find the client before another team gets to him/her.  Of course, the security cameras are run by the Skraacha, who don't take kindly to people playing with their toys.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-21-14/0113:08> »
How about these ideas:

• A corp kid goes slumming it and leaves his car woefully undefended.  The team hacks the car to open up the locks and ignition, then takes it for a spin.  Assuming the cops don't find them in time, they'd likely ditch the car.  Spin-off from this would be if the kid hired a terribad runner team to try to get revenge.
  • StufferShack is having a sale on Nerps.  The supply is about to go through the roof to accommodate the demand.  The runners are hired to sabotage the sale by hacking the store's node and adjusting the sale timing.  Someone then can come in and buy all the Nerps at the sale price 24 hours in advance.  This of course makes the local community angry as they were hoping to get a great deal.  If they find out who's behind the adjustment.....
  • A gang has hired the runners to help guard their BTL courier(s).  While en route, the team gets ambushed and they have to hide out in a warehouse.  The door to the warehouse is a maglock though, and no one has the tools to physically disable it.
  • Mr. Johnson hires the runners to break into a facility in the Barrens.  The facility should have low-end security which allows the runners to easily get past everything.  The break-in was a test of the security forces though, and now all the guards are fired and looking for payback.
  • The runners have to go into the Underground to go looking for someone.  It's not an extraction per se, but rather some bodyguard work with an unwilling client.  In order to get to the client's location, the team needs to hack some security cameras to find the client before another team gets to him/her.  Of course, the security cameras are run by the Skraacha, who don't take kindly to people playing with their toys.

...  Why does every hacking opportunity have to involve blowback?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <01-21-14/0920:04> »
Because I love blowback as a hook of my games.  What starts as something simple becomes something more complex, with narrative elements that otherwise wouldn't be found.  If I'm going to make a single event into the hook for my game, it needs to have repercussions or it gets boring very fast.

Besides, that's just a list of suggested hooks that center around hacking.  Do you have any recommendations or advice to the OP, or did you just want to try to shit all over my suggestions?
« Last Edit: <01-21-14/0925:00> by Namikaze »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-21-14/1905:04> »
Because I love blowback as a hook of my games.  What starts as something simple becomes something more complex, with narrative elements that otherwise wouldn't be found.  If I'm going to make a single event into the hook for my game, it needs to have repercussions or it gets boring very fast.

Besides, that's just a list of suggested hooks that center around hacking.  Do you have any recommendations or advice to the OP, or did you just want to try to shit all over my suggestions?

My point was that, as I understand it, the OP's looking to get a grasp on what sort of hacking would occur at the Street Scum level, rather than asking for hooks specifically.  Hooks are great, but suggestions for things that would integrate with the game rather than steer it would be good too.  For example, if the runners are hired by a gang to help them against a rival gang moving in on their turf, the decker might decide to pull distribution information from members' commlinks, or create fake messages to trigger internal problems or a turf war with a third gang, or what have you.

Or he might break into a Street Doc's system to get the patient list (as they're looking for a certain target), or screw with a local Humanis chapter, or break into a local warehouse's host to let the team in, edit the footage, and adjust records so they don't even know the theft occurred...  Really, just about any enemy/target that's within reach for Street Scum runners will have Matrix targets that are within reach for a Street Scum hacker.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #5 on: <01-22-14/0558:46> »
most places you want to get into are at least going to have a camera covering the door, a maglock and maybe a pressure sensor plate on the approaches to the doors if they're particularly edgy about who comes a-knocking.
Some examples of places that are likely to have at least basic security:
-BTL houses
-Drug labs
-Ganger base
-Warehouses
-Industrial facilities
-Commercial property

On top of this, there will be a few places even in the barrens that will have need of having some kind of host, even if its an old antiquated node running menial tasks.
Places like night clubs, street docs, haulage firms, industrial firms etc will all have some need for processing and data storage, or even just a straight up marketing campaign or platform to gig/performance listings public etc. More security conscious places may have some basic security drones rolling about too, perhaps a rail mounted sentry drone or a doberman or two to deal with.
Pretty much everyone will have at least a shitty commlink to hack as well. should be plenty of stuff for a hacker to deal with, just remember to scale the device ratings down to meet your hacker's abilities though!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor