NEWS

[SR5] Public Transportation

• 18 Replies

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« on: <12-07-13/1023:32> »
I will be starting up a game next week and i have a player with no vehicle. He said everyone in the books just gets around with cabs and buses and that should hold him over till he gets enough scratch together to buy his creeper van that every hacker is contractual obligated to buy.

My question is, what kind of difficulties will he incur? Should i even hassle him about it in the first place?

He has a med lifestyle so I'm not worried about the cost. I'm just curious about SIN checks and witnesses and such. How you guys dealt with this in the past. Is there a 4.0 book that talks about this stuff or do you guys have house rules?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: <12-09-13/0911:49> by Imveros »
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <12-07-13/1031:18> »
At a price of 1 nuyen per km for a taxi, and 20 nuyen for a week pass for the bus or rail, it's not really a hassle. I don't think they'd bother doing a check, you just fork over the cash and they're fine with it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-07-13/1150:16> »
It shouldn't be any problem, except that he should take some extra time to plan his trip.  Also if he must take into account that some places are not served (like the Barrens).  And of course, if that player gets on the bus all blooded after a fight with some gangers, he should be ready to expect commonts and/or people calling the police.  In that case, hitching a ride from a team member should be a nice idea.

As for money, I would say that with middle lifestyle it's included.  No need to add something else (unless he keeps taking cabs into the barrens, at which time he might have to add some extra for hazard pay, provided he can find one willing to take him).

I have characters without a vehicle and I've never had any issues.  Either a pick-up by a team member, or taking public transport has always gotten me where I needed to be.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <12-07-13/1221:02> »
It's actually possible to hire a Z-Taxi, which is quite expensive at 10 nuyen per km.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-07-13/1240:56> »
It's actually possible to hire a Z-Taxi, which is quite expensive at 10 nuyen per km.

Is a Z taxi different from a regular one? Or is that just what all taxis are called in 2075?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-07-13/1250:20> »
Usually we make some throw away remark about Johnny Cab when it comes to people that neglected a vehicle in chargen.
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-07-13/1254:44> »

Is a Z taxi different from a regular one? Or is that just what all taxis are called in 2075?
Its an Armed and Armored Taxi that gets You in & out of the Z-Zones like the Barrens.
And No, its no usual Taxi (the Drivers are the "Travis Bickle" Kind of Guys ;)  )

And You sholudn't hassle him .If the char has a medium Lifestyle Taxis and Busfares should be included
(and If You're playing in Seattle,the City also got a Monorail !)

with a Monodance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <12-07-13/1257:04> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #7 on: <12-07-13/1310:46> »
An important point I don't think has been mentioned - it can really depend on what city you're in. In the Seattle sprawl, you're fine with public transport & cabs as long as you're not heading deep into the Barrens - and as long as you're not packing obvious amounts of illegal items. Though I bet you'll get scanned if you try to take a cab into a AAA residential zone in Bellevue. Ditto for most other major sprawls.

But if you're in Chicago, or some other largely feral city, public transport and cabs might not be an option as they might simply not exist, or not service large chunks of the sprawl in which the characters will be operating.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <12-07-13/1319:31> »
As a player who has the forthought, always, to buy some form of transportation in chargen. It usually irritates me when other players spent all their points on chargen cash, buy everything they think they can possibly squeeze into their budget then ask, "Can I ride with you?"

I want to say, "No, you can walk and you can carry all your gear. If you can't even take a moment to spend, what 3,000 nuyen on a doge scoot you can walk."

However, as I try to be a good player at a table I usually sigh and RP out saying, "Sure, hop in," while mentally addressing them as things other than their name.
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-07-13/1346:02> »
Typically I don't worry about public transit costs or availability any more than I worry about charging times or parking for player owned vehicles. It's stuff that only comes up if it adds to the story in an interesting way. Otherwise it's just part of lifestyle and the underlying assumption that the characters are competent enough to handle their every day lives.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-07-13/1507:35> »

(and If You're playing in Seattle,the City also got a Monorail !)

with a Monodance
Medicineman

we are Playing in Seattle so it seems there wont be any issues at all. I wasn't worried about the cost just the logistics involved. Though it seems the logistics are trivial in the urban setting. I will however have to get him to ride the monorail so that I, and all the other players, can sing the monorail song at least once ^_~

It will also be amusing because the other 3 players all bought dodge scoots making them the toughest go gang in town! They will make quite the picture if he has to "hitch a ride" and sit on the handle bars during a chase while the gangers casually walk to keep up with them XD

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-07-13/1514:21> »
some Go Gangs only need one Dodge Scoot at all
http://i.bnet.com/blogs/overloaded-motorcycle-vietnam.jpg
or
http://epicme.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/OnlyInAsia-1.jpg

With a Dance in Saigon
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-07-13/1533:36> »
As a hacker, you can also just take other people's cars for joyrides when you feel like it.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #13 on: <12-08-13/0119:40> »
As a hacker, you can also just take other people's cars for joyrides when you feel like it.
Or send them away when you just want their parking spot. "Navigate to: Squatters' Mall. Autopilot, Drive."

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-08-13/0459:28> »

But if you're in Chicago, or some other largely feral city, public transport and cabs might not be an option as they might simply not exist, or not service large chunks of the sprawl in which the characters will be operating.

But in Chicago you can't drive in most parts of the city anyways due to the amount of debris on the streets.  So there having a vehicle is actually a bad thing, as you won't be able to use it and trying to will attract the local wildlife.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"