NEWS

Blind Fire and Visibility

• 32 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #15 on: <10-20-10/1015:49> »
Just thinking... does an invisible target cast a shadow? I heard it ruled both ways!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-20-10/1028:07> »
Blind firing to me was also just firing and not giving a damn what, or if, you hit. Under the same classification as spray-n-pray and just firing from the hip wildly... Which anyone that has seen me play a shooter is usually my first policy. I think Code may have already done a couple just roll his gun to the side and pull the trigger for S&Gs because there might have been baddies off to the left of him somewhere.

I guess it'd be GMs call what modifiers apply judging on what kind of blind firing it is?
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-20-10/1035:29> »
Just thinking... does an invisible target cast a shadow? I heard it ruled both ways!

It does ,but it isn't noticed.
Invisibility is an Illusion ! (not " bending the Light around the Subject", or it must/should be considered a Combat Spelll ;) )

with an illusionary Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #18 on: <10-20-10/1043:43> »

It does ,but it isn't noticed.
Invisibility is an Illusion ! (not " bending the Light around the Subject", or it must/should be considered a Combat Spelll ;) )

with an illusionary Dance
Medicineman
Possibility of a Perception roll to see through the illusion?

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <10-20-10/1045:59> »
Magic. Are you really trying to bring physics into magic? Go apologize to that poor catgirl's family right now.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #20 on: <10-20-10/1048:52> »
Magic. Are you really trying to bring physics into magic? Go apologize to that poor catgirl's family right now.
No such thing, I'm fishing for information on spell use in the Run! ;D

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <10-20-10/1220:27> »
You use Intuition to see though the illusion not a skill.  Like every other spell its an opposed roll, the rolls are just made very far apart.  Spellcasting + Magic vs Intuition (+counterspelling).  If you fail that you are unable to see the target.  If he does something like open a door or knock over a table you could Blind Fire at him.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #22 on: <10-20-10/1259:43> »
Thank you. Hey? WHere'd you go? ;)

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <10-20-10/1745:31> »
Invisibility is like Hitchhiker Guide SEP field. It is not that you can't be seen (the robotic camera sees you) it is that you convince other peoples minds to not look at you.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <10-20-10/1810:34> »
One factor everyone is forgetting is that Blind Fire is also an Firearms + Intuition test, not Firearms + Agility so you're also using your hearing and extrapolation from indirect knowledge of where someone is no matter if he's behind terrain or the attacker got blinded.  But yes, it only makes sense that visibility modifiers don't stack with blind fire because if you look at visibility modifiers, blind fire is basically an option on that chart, it's just called full darkness, but it's -6 just like blind fire so blind fire is essentially a type of visibility modifier.....except I would use Firearms + Intuition for full darkness as well.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <10-20-10/2139:59> »
Insinuating that Blind Fire and Total Darkness are the same is where we got into trouble in the first place, should Thermographic characters be able to blind fire through a wall at -3 instead of 6?  I think not.  Thinking of them as two totally separate entities is better.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-22-10/1106:53> »
So what would you use for full darkness, Firearms+Agility or Firearms+Intuition like with blindfire?

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <10-22-10/1430:50> »
Hm, I guess I would use Blind Fire (skill + Intuition) whenever you can't see the target, whether it's from total darkness, thermal smoke, or whatever. In those cases, the visibility table isn't relevant. However, it still matters for some things, like Perception tests.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #28 on: <10-22-10/1730:15> »
...Oh and while shooting blind You use INT instead of AGI)

with a blind Dance
Medicineman
Where is that stated? or is that your house rule?
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <10-22-10/1753:06> »
...Oh and while shooting blind You use INT instead of AGI)

with a blind Dance
Medicineman
Where is that stated? or is that your house rule?

p. 150 SR4a.  applies to targets completely obscured by cover, total darkness, or undetectable by sight to the character, but whose location can be guessed at.  The INT ruling is on p. 152.