NEWS

Does 4 I.P.s seem excessive?

• 50 Replies

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <10-18-10/2207:29> »
I'm just waiting for the former company man with wired reflexes: 3, whose tragic backstory is that the other people in the office decided to throw him a surprise birthday party.  Never, ever jump out and yell "Surprise!" at someone with wired reflexes: 3.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #46 on: <10-19-10/0036:14> »
heh @ Glyph.

Also: Don't be the guy that has to tell him he's fired for the aforementioned incident.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
  • www.hazmatthemonstar.com
« Reply #47 on: <10-19-10/1543:44> »
I know that's not a terribly helpful comment on my part, but it really is one of the very basic concepts of the game -- the whole reason Shadowrunners use magic and cyberware and stuff is to let them do things normal humans can't.  They can leap tremendous distances, shoot a submachinegun built right into their arm, sprout claws and razors to tear someone up with implanted weapons, fire a weapon with ridiculous accuracy, punch through an engine block, or...yes...even move amazingly quickly.

As for how it would look?  Just watch any of a handful of recent action movies that play with time as part of their combat scenes.  The slow motion/fast motion trend that 300 used, for instance, would be great for melee oriented Adepts, as would some fight scenes from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (or any number of similarly modern and elegant kung fu movies).  Look at the combat in Watchmen for more, or -- heck! -- even the fight scenes in the recent Batman: Arkham Asylum video game, or parts of Wanted, or Jet Li's The One, or a ton of other Hollywood productions.  The Matrix, too, has some excellent examples of how Shadowrun combat could look (particularly the lobby scene, for a pair of cybered-up or Adept-powered Shadowrunners tearing through a standard corpsec team!).

Any time you see the whole world slow down except for one guy who is kicking ass all over the place, you've got some sort of idea of how Wired Reflexes or Move By Wire might make the world look.
Seriously. Your'e right critias. I don't have any SR homies in RL really, so I needed some help envisioning it. Your comments really have helped me see the fun in that aspect of the game. I will use those movies to help my players (if i ever get them to a tabletop) enjoy it too. And, hell, it's 2072 omae!

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <10-19-10/1549:11> »
Back before the on/off switch for wired reflexes became standard, there was an optional rule (standard, in some games) regarding surprising someone with the wire.  It generally meant that the folks with wire had to go to great lengths so that no one would surprise them, not so they were prepared for combat, but that a random friend or loved one wouldn't accidentally get murdered.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #49 on: <10-19-10/1607:46> »
Yeah those were the good old days... Always having to sit with your back against the wall, telling people not to come up behind you, and calling the rigger at 3 in the morning to help dispose of the joytoy that surprised you and is now sans head.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <10-20-10/0612:18> »
And the rigger's response:

"What, AGAIN?"
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."