NEWS

Help understanding new Martial Arts quality from Arsenal

• 48 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #45 on: <10-18-10/1350:16> »
Again, I'm not saying that you can't damage the person using a wooden sword, nor that the damage is less devastating. But, if you hit someone's unprotected wrist full-force with a bokken, their wrist break. With a katana, you have a good chance that they will lose the hand. Are either less immediately devastating in melee? No. BUT with a bokken, you're also considering that it can be used on a backswing, it's a lot easier to not deal deadly damage and you have to worry a bit about the fact that it is easier to break than a metal katana.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #46 on: <10-18-10/1356:49> »
Again, I'm not saying that you can't damage the person using a wooden sword, nor that the damage is less devastating. But, if you hit someone's unprotected wrist full-force with a bokken, their wrist break. With a katana, you have a good chance that they will lose the hand. Are either less immediately devastating in melee? No. BUT with a bokken, you're also considering that it can be used on a backswing, it's a lot easier to not deal deadly damage and you have to worry a bit about the fact that it is easier to break than a metal katana.

Agreed.

The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #47 on: <10-19-10/1144:43> »
Clearly, but that doesn't make it make sense.
Yeah... I know. I was trying to make it make sense but you are right. Though it is a NON leathal weapon it is still a "Blade" Blunt... but a blade. What made the difference to me was the reference to teh Escrema. Thats a stick.

Hmmm, use the Escreama (dang spelling !!!) technique with a small dual-sided blade of comperable length and is it a Club or Blade technique? both are deadly but one breaks bones better than the other slices and dices. Same goes with the Katana and Bokken. The Bokken uses the sword techniques of a Katana it just doesn't have the head lopping effect.

You know I think this is one of those areas that what ever works at your table and your GM decides is the right answer
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #48 on: <10-19-10/1252:04> »
If it's any easier for ya, you can call it "Kali" or just "FMA" (for Filipino Martial Arts), instead of Escrima.  They're all pretty much the same thing.