NEWS

Minimum strength for self-built bows

• 2 Replies

Unisus

• Newb
« on: <10-23-10/1547:57> »
Hi!

I have a question about bows a character builds via his build/repair skill. According to the rules "material science limits high-tech bows to a maximum Strength rating of 12", but i could not find anything about building a classic bow out of wood. If i take a strong enough stick that is also flexible, i should be able to build a real strong bow for giants, but i´m not really sure about this.

Is there anywhere a clarification on this?

Greetings

Unisus

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-23-10/1610:53> »
The reason compound bows exist is because "material science" allows you to force multiply your strength.  They have advantages over a straight wood bow that I would think can't be replicated by a "strong enough stick".  If you can get you GM to bend the rules and create a bow with higher strength rating as a house rule, but when the book says this is how far science has come I tend to believe it.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <10-23-10/2307:36> »
There's no rules that address bows of any sort above the 12 limit.

Technically there's no rules in 4th edition to "create" any weapon from scratch, only to modify existing weapons.

So you'd have to ask your GM for special permission anyhow, so you might as well ask him if you can make a stronger pull bow.

I don't think there's any wood strong enough for a 13+ strength bow, though - strength 12 is already staggeringly strong. The uber-bow would probably have to be built with steel cables and pulleys and such.

-k
« Last Edit: <10-23-10/2309:31> by KarmaInferno »