IPs

• 8 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist

IPs

« on: <06-15-11/1451:16> »

My street merc is fast. Really fast.

A high INT and the highest augmented Human REA give him a 14 INI.

However, he's only got 2 IPs, for various reasons (mainly because I chose Move-by-Wire over Wired Reflexes).

Our team will consist of (if all goes according to plan) my Street Merc (Tank Hitter), an Ork PhysAd (DPS Hitter), a Face, a Technomancer, a Troll Occult Investigator with some combat capability (Stun/Mana bolts, Spirits, and a big stick), and a Rigger.

The Rigger is an AI who lives in a van (down by the river) so I'm not counting on it in a fight. The Face is a crack shot with a pistol, but she's a willowy Dryad who really should be hiding behind the Hitters. The Techno is a scrawny little punk who, if he doesn't have an Allergy (Mild - Sunlight), probably should...the only fight I know of that he has been in, he missed at close range with a shotgun, which he promptly dropped (that recoil thing is tricky!).

That leaves my Merc with 2 IPs, the PhysAd (4 IPs, I think), and the Mage, who has Enhance Reflexes to boost himself up to 3 or 4 IPs.

So...long story short (too late)...are 2 IPs too few for a primary Hitter for a team, if most of the rest of the team are puny meatbags?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

flatlyne2001

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-11/1511:55> »
I recommend drugs  ;D

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-11/1533:14> »
The Face I'm building now has 2 IPs...

I'd recommend some Jazz. I figure 2 IPs is fine if you can make sure what you shoot stays down.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-11/1610:24> »
IPs aren't important for attacking, they're important for not dying.  I mean, they work as a force multiplier and that's great, don't get me wrong -- Shadowrunners are (by nature) often outnumbered, and extra attacks are fantastic -- but where they really shine is as the "don't get your face shot off" trick.  Having an extra action or two (or three) lets you spend an action on a dodge every now and then and keep from getting yourself dead;  even characters with great Reaction can often get drowned in incoming fire thanks to that pesky "often outnumbered" thing, as the -1 cumulative modifier starts to rack up.  Kicking off your dodging die pool by being able to toss in a skill can be a real lifesaver.

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-11/1615:23> »
Second the recommendation for Jazz. You won't need it all the time, but an autoinjector with DNI can let you inject it on the first turn as a free action and then get the extra pass on the next turn. If you're feeling really fiesty, one autoinjector with Jazz and another with Cram can pump you up to 4 IPs when you really need it.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-11/1438:40> »
And don't forget the edge option to get extra IP's when it's necessary. Always surprising, and can save your life.
2 IPs can be enough if you're a real tank, more IP's can let you dodge more easily, but there's no outnumber modifier to resistance test, so, good tank, some drugs and edge when it's necessary, 2 IP is fine.
Plus, you play first, meaning you can protect yourself and/or your mates, meaning harder to hit, and less dodge required.
« Last Edit: <06-16-11/1448:05> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-16-11/1441:59> »
2 IPs is fine if you can make sure what you shoot stays down.
that. It's more like a dps thing :P A mage throwing Stunballs might only need 1 IP

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #7 on: <06-16-11/1445:09> »
Yeah, my guy is long on Edge, so that's an option for when he runs into real trouble.

Drugs are a possible solution - but the character is currently trying to clean himself up...he's got a bit of a drinking problem (though HE wouldn't call it that) and a serious reputation problem (he'd admit to that).

Adding a drug habit to the mix is probably not the best course of action, in terms of RP.  :o

-T-

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-16-11/1504:32> »
Null perspiration, chummer. It's only a habit if you do it habitually. A zap from a combat drug once every couple of months is fine. In fact, lemme slide you your first taste for free, just so you can get a feel for how easily a little juice can save your life...  8)
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.