NEWS

Infected Citizenship, which countries and corps offer these?

• 6 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« on: <01-25-18/1841:13> »
I was wondering whether a list was ever released over which countries and corporations offer citizenship to the Infected. Also is there a list of places they are hunted for nuyen?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

RiggerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-18/2017:52> »
I'm pretty sure this would a be a very short list, unless you include "citizenship" equally to a criminal SIN.

Someone compiled this a while ago for Shadowhelix (german wiki).

From (4th Ed.) Running Wild: "There are 35 countries in the world that recognize the Infected as something other than wild animals which need to be controlled. Ours is not one of those countries, and neither is the UCAS. Both still carry laws on the books establishing bounties for the Infected, though those laws are seldom enforced these days. Many Infected are eligible to acquire criminal SINs and live as second-class citizens, at the expense of being monitored 24 hours a day."

Followed by a the latest list (i know of) of Infected-friendly corps: Aztechnology, Cavalier Arms, DeBeers-Omnitech, Draco Foundation, Evo, Saeder-Krupp, Wuxing, ZetaImpChem   
« Last Edit: <01-25-18/2031:39> by RiggerBob »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-18/2122:34> »
RiggerBob's list is from Running Wild and is the most recent list of which I am aware.

The Shadowhelix map is also from Running Wild, and lists these countries as Infected-friendly: Amazonia, Asamando, Aztlan, California Free State, Euskal Herria, France, Yakut, Philippines, Salish-Shidhe Council, Czech Republic.

The same section lists bounties on the infected for the UCAS and CAS. That said, I vaguely remember some fluff that said that the bounties are legacies and not actively pursued by the governments, especially with ghoul-rights organizations like the Ghoul Liberation League raising awareness and pushing back politically. Do what you want in your game; I definitely pay them out in my games.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-25-18/2339:48> »
Thank you. I had a vague hope The NANs were tolerant to some degree. Makes me wonder what those 35 countries are.

Thanks again!

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-26-18/1141:36> »
I suspect the NANs are one of the more intolerant nations.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-26-18/1358:16> »
I've always presumed the opposite.

Broadly speaking, I imagine that the NAN countries are more comfortable with the Awakening and its ramifications than your average nation. While they might not be thrilled with the Infected, they would be more inclined to accept them as a consequence of the Sixth World.

Given the prevalence of sunlight allergies, the Infected might migrate toward Salish-Shidhe Council (or Athabaskan Council or Angonkian-Manitou Council) rather than Pueblo Corporate Council. With their high Body/Strength/Willpower values, they are well-adapted to hostile environments and could be valuable for harsh, physically-demanding industries. Agriculture, forestry, mining, and energy all come to mind. That would keep them in largely rural environments in isolated communities of their own. The segregated nature of the arrangement could help with broader public tolerance, if not acceptance.

This is all speculation on my part and not explicitly canon, but that's how it plays out in my head.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-26-18/1813:03> »
Some of the legends originate from Northern America, like Wendigo and Tsu-nu-kwa so I suspect you are right about the migration. Based on the stories then yes I guess NAN may be harsher.