NEWS

Improving Fake SINs through usage

• 4 Replies

Maded

• Chummer
« on: <05-16-20/0716:27> »
I’m curious if anyone’s considered a system or house rule for improving a Fake SIN through successful and successive “legitimate” uses, thus building on the databases surrounding a fake identity to make it eventually come across as more “real” as more information becomes attached to the fake SIN.

Or if people just run it as “pay the cost to improve the rating”.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the WAR ROOM!

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-16-20/1534:37> »
I don't really see it.

I picture a Fake Sin 1, which is wildly different from person trying to pass it off.

If anything, continued use, imho, would increase the probability of it being discovered by a system.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #2 on: <06-01-20/0202:17> »
It makes sense to me but I'd probably cap it at one level above what was purchased as the higher rating ones are supposed to have DNA, medical records etc in them and no amount of paying for bus rides is gonna replicate that
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <06-01-20/0223:39> »
It makes sense to me but I'd probably cap it at one level above what was purchased as the higher rating ones are supposed to have DNA, medical records etc in them and no amount of paying for bus rides is gonna replicate that

No, they ALL tie back to a database, that has every detail of your life, INCLUDING a DNA sample. Everything and anything that can be tracked is tied to your SIN. Where you were born, what childhood diseases you had. What school you went to, AND your grades (including all your 'participation' trophies from the Science Fairs). Every job you have had*. (If they are not the ones issuing the SIN in the first place. Any criminal infractions, any tickets, licenses, bank accounts, rental agreements... it ALL ties back to your SIN...

Which is why there are ratings. A fake SIN, could be one of several types:
A legal SIN that has been somehow copied and is now in circulation.
A totally made up SIN inserted by way of a black market organization.

Thus, the Higher the rating, the closer you match all the info on the SIN, at a casual glace. (a GOOD scanner, like those used at police stations will find the fake SIN eventually).

Thus, If you are, say an Male African Troll, having the totally real and legal SIN of a Female Asian Dwarf is not a good match (Rating 1)...

Or a crappy black market SIN might have used the DNA of a chicken for the Bioinformatics... (again Rating 1)

Now, for most small things that require a SIN, that no one really cares about.... you're going to do fine. No one cares about your SIN for riding the bus (although technically you need a SIN) Or if you're buying a soykafe from a vending machine. (In fact, one make even argue the scanner for many of these annoyance scans are probably broken!)

I'm going to say that again. No One Cares How Many SoyKafes You Bought.

You do know what they care about? How many $5000+ purchases you have made! (You can't escape the advertisers!! You ARE Horizon's Money Puppet. Just admit it!)
But the more expensive the item, the more security on the check.. (AKA the higher the rating of the scanner)

And, at the end of the day... when that scanner requests a biosample, and you don't match what's on file...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-07-20/1614:12> »
I’m curious if anyone’s considered a system or house rule for improving a Fake SIN through successful and successive “legitimate” uses, thus building on the databases surrounding a fake identity to make it eventually come across as more “real” as more information becomes attached to the fake SIN.
Not really.

For low rated SINs you would have such glaring holes and conflicting information in older transaction data that it doesn't really matter (and rather the more you use it the more risk you take of having it burned) and for high rated SINs you probably have to live a constant double life just to maintain the credibility of the SINs more recent transaction history.

But somewhere in the middle (going from 3 to 4 or perhaps 4 to 5) I could see the potential of increasing the integrity of the fake SIN by one level, but no more....

Having said that, the erased quality from run faster seem to suggest that if you wish to really live under the radar then you should never maintain a lifestyle higher than medium and you should never keep a fake SIN more than 3 months. Failing to do this and you would start to leave traces throughout the matrix that can be traced back to you.

No, they ALL tie back to a database
The information is scatted all over many databases.

What a SIN verification system does it that it tries to find out if the integrity of your SIN is legit (or legit enough as far as it can tell from the records it scanned).

The more believable data (such as financial history and other data trails) the verification system can find the bigger the chance it will be convinced that it is dealing with a legit SIN.

Fluff-wise a rating 1-3 verification system will not even check if there are any DNA data stored at all and a rating 4 verification system (now we talk mil-spec verification units!) just verify that there is DNA on record (but it would be satisfied even if the DNA originally came from a chicken).

And crunch-wise the test is just resolved as a threshold test using the device rating x 2 of the SIN verification unit against a threshold equal to the fake SIN rating. There are no social tests to be made. There is no DNA swabbing or fingerprint scanners to fool. There is no facial recognition to deceive.