NEWS

Fake SINs and names

• 107 Replies

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <10-15-10/1559:39> »
I like the names from the short fiction pieces in the chapter introductions of various books like SueZ Q, Slammo!, and Turbo Bunny.  I'd think a name like Bruce Wayne would stand out more than Batman personally.  This is why when I realized the heavy gun angle my current character was taking I bought a SIN and changed his name to Dakka.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <10-15-10/1903:03> »
Oh, I didn't realize that Dakka was supposed to be the "real" name tied to his sin! I figured it was just a new code name you were running under.

In Shadowrun, I usually give my PCs a real name and a professional handle, then I ignore the handle. :) Sorta how the Fantastic Four have code names, but they have public identities, so folks just call them by their real names, especially Reed. I guess I'm not much of one for secret identities. My current PC (White Rabbit) is a rare exception to that – she's inspired by enigmatic, badass femme fatales like Alice, Hit Girl, Black Widow, and Trinity – and even I don't know what her real name is yet.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #32 on: <10-18-10/1124:12> »
Oni, Street sam, Close combat - KARATE expert.

Real (SR) Name: Giagi Sintai
Alias (Given to him by his teammates): Miagi Hentai

:)

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <10-18-10/1412:45> »
Code's one of those ones where I knew his handle before I knew his name. He just plain old doesn't like his real name so he made up his own and ran with it (quite literally).
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #34 on: <10-19-10/1041:54> »
Yeah not the same for Usda. His first was going to be a retread of My Minotaur: Vastio (Big) Adustus (Brown) Domare (Cow) roughly translated freom a English/Greek translation book.

Usda was going to be initials Ulysis Samual David Alexander, But the initials were just funner to make a name out of!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #35 on: <11-15-10/1129:51> »
Heh. Imagine someone getting a fake sin by the name of Johnson. :P
That should be a good one to pull at an annoying teammate who burns through his fake sins too fast.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #36 on: <11-15-10/1927:29> »
Yeah not the same for Usda. His first was going to be a retread of My Minotaur: Vastio (Big) Adustus (Brown) Domare (Cow) roughly translated freom a English/Greek translation book.

Usda was going to be initials Ulysis Samual David Alexander, But the initials were just funner to make a name out of!

Oh Bulldrek (no pun intended). He's 100% United States Dairy Association Beef and you know it.  ;D

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #37 on: <01-30-11/0404:25> »
Especially if he's a minotaur.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

RdMarquis

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <01-30-11/0441:40> »
My current character uses a fake SIN with the name Travis Bell. Mostly because it's a reference to the surreal video game Killer7. But, it sounds like a real name, too.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #39 on: <01-30-11/1402:41> »
I have a Fake SIN question:
What if I had a really good fake SIN, with everything, fake medical data, fake financial data, a fake life (like fake purchases data, apparent hobbies/friends/family) and fake employment.

Do I have to pay real taxes for that fake Life?

And can I get payed real money by my fake employment? For instance the boss of a huge company or Corp don't know every employee personal, all they know is in form of data files, and data can be fixed or hacked. In Reality it is a common form of fraud. And Unwired said that fraud and data theft is on the top of the digital crimes.

« Last Edit: <01-30-11/1405:33> by Ultra Violet »

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #40 on: <01-30-11/1426:26> »
Heck no, why would you want to pay taxes? Just get your friendly neighborhood hacker to rig the numbers so that it looks like your fake self paid. It'll probably cost a lot less. That, or have him cook the numbers in a way so that the tax stuff comes out nearly even, so even if you do pay taxes, it's a trifling amount.

As for getting an income, well, that's a little trickier. Sure, it might be possible to have this person on an actual payroll, but that means they'll be showing up on an employee list in HR, and they've got ways to track productivity that'll eventually show this person isn't coming in to work. For the crunchy bits, I'd say that drawing an income from a fake ID would subject this ID to a test every time the paychecks are written up, with the employer's dice pool based on the size of the company and how much is being paid out. (You don't want to be drawing a fake paycheck from Ares.)

There are ways around this, naturally, but if a company is actually paying money to a non-productive employee, they tend to sit up and take notice eventually. If an employee's on the list, but not impacting the payroll, they would probably assume it's an artifact, or an ex-employee that just didn't get removed from the database. Happens all the time, and if it's not costing them money, who cares?

In addition, this payment would have to go to a bank account, linked to the fake ID or channeled through it to another ID. That would be a point of vulnerability; sure, the account would show regular activity, lowering the chance of the bank asking questions, but if the company writing the check started getting suspicious, then the ID's activity would come into question.

All of this could be covered up, sure, but the hacker doing so would want a cut of the proceeds. Given the risk -- a monthly (or bi-weekly) chance of discovery would mean high risk, and the hacker would ask for a larger percentage as a result.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #41 on: <01-30-11/1625:39> »
I have a Fake SIN question:
What if I had a really good fake SIN, with everything, fake medical data, fake financial data, a fake life (like fake purchases data, apparent hobbies/friends/family) and fake employment.

Do I have to pay real taxes for that fake Life?

And can I get payed real money by my fake employment? For instance the boss of a huge company or Corp don't know every employee personal, all they know is in form of data files, and data can be fixed or hacked. In Reality it is a common form of fraud. And Unwired said that fraud and data theft is on the top of the digital crimes.

Yes. With the fake money from your fake job. ;)

I'm sure the fake SIN will show that you're completely up to date with paying your taxes.

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <01-30-11/2208:28> »
I aways liked the list from the GI Joe Cartoon/Action figure line:
http://www.joeheadquarters.com/rollcall_joes.shtml

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #43 on: <01-31-11/1116:10> »
 ???

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #44 on: <01-31-11/1202:36> »
???
I believe he meant that he likes using the roll call for names on Fake SINs...