NEWS

The Extreme Price of Being an Archer

• 77 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #75 on: <08-16-16/0351:58> »
Given my experience with archery (and the bow hunters I keep company with), I'd say most arrows of any feasible type would blunt, contort (irreversibly bend) or shatter on impact with anything harder than arid soil.
Factoring in the advancements in personal armor that Shadowrun has pushed, I'd call it a certainty.

In the long run, it'd probably be more financially beneficial for a dedicated archer character to be able to manufacture his/her own arrows; though at this time, I'm unsure how SR5 RAW handles that, if at all.
...unfortunately that is not permitted in Missions (this is a Missions character I am working on).
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <08-25-16/2027:43> »
Just going to throw my two cents in here about hand loading rounds for pistols (which I have done a LOT of).
To verify what previous posters have said:

1) The cost of reloading your own ammo is about 1/2 that of buying new. Keep in mind this is "reloading" and hence you are recovering the brass which is a siginificant part of the expense of a new round.

2) Using an "multi stage" press, which is different from a "single stage press", once you set everything up (cleaned brass, primers, auto powder measure) you can easily reload 5-10 rounds per minute. It sounds to me like the times in Hard Target are WAY off.

That being said, you can't really "reload" arrows. The best you could probably do is recover the shafts (with fletching), then maybe you have to replace shafts, fletching or heads on a per arrow basis.

Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #77 on: <08-29-16/1209:41> »
One thing to note about handloading ammunition; while real world equivalents are indeed about reloading, Shadowrunners in the 6th World will more than likely be using caseless ammunition. As such, hand loaded ammunition in Shadowrun is more likely to be about wildcatting rounds that it is about recovering spent... uh... plastic? I have no idea how you would recover anything to reuse from caseless rounds...