NEWS

[SR5E] help me make MegaMan Zero, a street samurai.

• 9 Replies

Tenrier

• Newb
« on: <04-12-19/1102:33> »
Bit of background of how the GM said cyberlimbs work in their world.

You have your base body stats, and then cyberlimb stats, if you use say a 1handed weapon you only add the cyberlimb stats to the attack and skills not your body stats too.
However if the attack or action uses the whole body you average the stats of every limb involved.

Any ideas? We're primarily using the basic 5e book for character creation so all standard rules apply. (P.S. I'm new to SR)
« Last Edit: <04-12-19/1118:46> by Tenrier »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-12-19/1122:00> »
I'm not familiar with Mega Man, but I am very familiar with 5E's cyberlimb rules.

They're unfortunately very complex, but it sounds like your GM is familiar with them and simply using them as presented.  (see pages 455-457 of the core rulebook)

From a character design standpoint, if you want to do 4 cyberlimbs (again, I don't know if that's what you're going for when you mean Mega Man) you'll be challenged by two constraints: essence and resources. Now that's true for any heavily augmented sammy type, but limbs are so essence-intensive that they don't leave much for the other things you'd reasonably want, such as initiative boosting 'ware.  Since cyberlimbs give Capacity, use that as much as possible whenever possible to get cyberware for "free" at least from an essence standpoint.  For example, Wolverine-style retractable cyberspurs cost 0.3 essence, but if you build them into an artificial cyberarm instead of essence they cost 3 points of that limb's capacity limit instead. The biggest challenge is there's limits as to what sorts of things you can install into cyberlimbs instead of counting against your essence. Again some things you'll likely want do not come with an option for capacity cost instead of essence cost.

The trickiest thing of all with regards to cyberlimbs is their stats don't count towards calculating your Physical limit.  Even if you get to use your giant Agility and Strength ratings for an unarmed attack with one massive cyberarm, if your natural physical attributes suck you're still stuck with a low Physical limit for that attack.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Tenrier

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-12-19/1307:24> »
I'm not familiar with Mega Man, but I am very familiar with 5E's cyberlimb rules.

They're unfortunately very complex, but it sounds like your GM is familiar with them and simply using them as presented.  (see pages 455-457 of the core rulebook)

From a character design standpoint, if you want to do 4 cyberlimbs (again, I don't know if that's what you're going for when you mean Mega Man) you'll be challenged by two constraints: essence and resources. Now that's true for any heavily augmented sammy type, but limbs are so essence-intensive that they don't leave much for the other things you'd reasonably want, such as initiative boosting 'ware.  Since cyberlimbs give Capacity, use that as much as possible whenever possible to get cyberware for "free" at least from an essence standpoint.  For example, Wolverine-style retractable cyberspurs cost 0.3 essence, but if you build them into an artificial cyberarm instead of essence they cost 3 points of that limb's capacity limit instead. The biggest challenge is there's limits as to what sorts of things you can install into cyberlimbs instead of counting against your essence. Again some things you'll likely want do not come with an option for capacity cost instead of essence cost.

The trickiest thing of all with regards to cyberlimbs is their stats don't count towards calculating your Physical limit.  Even if you get to use your giant Agility and Strength ratings for an unarmed attack with one massive cyberarm, if your natural physical attributes suck you're still stuck with a low Physical limit for that attack.

I was pondering swapping all four, but I think I'd just do the arms if I could. Make one great for one handed shooting, the other great for melee, and together they're good for 2handed guns if needed. And since i wouldn't add legs onto this, I was trying to see if there is a item or way to mimic his boots that gave him small bursts for going faster, dodging, or a good higher jump etcetera.

Base however I hope to try and figure out the two cyberarms, and any other augment I need at the get go to be a good "MegaMan"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <04-13-19/0312:38> »
Keep in mind that if you get Cyberlegs, under RAW their Agility will NOT impact your movement speed, since it SOLELY impacts TESTS. So talk to your GM about it. In fact, you and your GM might want to give the following a read. It's stuff I wrote on cyberlimbs 4 years ago after cyberlimb debates:
- Summary of rules and problematic cases: https://shadowland.blog/2015/08/02/cyberlimbs-1/
- Possible houserules (of which I disagree with some): https://shadowland.blog/2015/08/02/cyberlimbs-2/

There are specific cyberfeet addons that boost your movement speed (Skimmers/skates), you could ask if there's any way to get non-implant skimmers that can be turned on/off.

By the way, a munchkin possibility is to have the off-hand solely be a cyberhand. This can still hit a decent Agility without massive Strength&Armor, so if you throw 8 Agi on the offhand and 9 on the main arm, your twohanded guns/weapons would still be using 8.5->9 Agility for your rolls.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #4 on: <04-13-19/2159:03> »
...would that work for rifles?
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <04-13-19/2238:25> »
Did the German version rule the other way on legs and agility to speed? I remember something about that coming up in some thread awhile back.

Anyways limbs are solid. It just comes down to what you want to do. Two arms perfectly, good, and certainly optimal for guns. Now on long arms you need to talk with your GM. Different GMs have different ideas of what averages when it comes to using long arms. SSDR, is right that the cyber rules are reasonably complex, and require some thinking. But once you get used to them, they can do some impressive stuff.

It really is simple a question of how you see the character fighting.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Tenrier

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-14-19/0147:32> »

Did the German version rule the other way on legs and agility to speed? I remember something about that coming up in some thread awhile back.

Anyways limbs are solid. It just comes down to what you want to do. Two arms perfectly, good, and certainly optimal for guns. Now on long arms you need to talk with your GM. Different GMs have different ideas of what averages when it comes to using long arms. SSDR, is right that the cyber rules are reasonably complex, and require some thinking. But once you get used to them, they can do some impressive stuff.

It really is simple a question of how you see the character fighting.

I see them using a few one handed weapons and could use some of the slots to hold guns that could be done like that. In melee he uses the one hand for his hand to hand, possibly get a melee weapon for that one. I have just found out I have two mages and I'm the only non-mage ;^^

So I see him trying to be quick reacting, use environment to his advantage, and take down enemies before they can get to the mages.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <04-14-19/0434:24> »
Herolab follows 'only 1 hand matters', I'd argue that rifles require the averaging.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <04-14-19/0854:03> »
Herolab follows 'only 1 hand matters', I'd argue that rifles require the averaging.

Yeah but what do you average at your table? Two Arms? Two arms and Torso? Something else?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #9 on: <04-14-19/1527:42> »
..yeah I would say two arms, not so much just a hand or lower arm on one.  Maybe for a "bullpup" SMG that would be OK, but a rifle with more kick that need the other arm not just the hand to steady the barrel when firing, I would normally think the whole arm would be required.

So next, wondering about the average.  If a character has a 2 agility in the natural arm and 8 in the Cyberarm. does the Agility average for using both arms (such as for firing a rifle) then go to 5?
Forsaken daughter is watching you