NEWS

The knowledge skill has me a bit confused

• 4 Replies

Janolen

• Newb
« on: <01-10-17/1701:09> »
As I go over the book more and more I've found one things that has me really scratching my head and was wandering what everyone was doing about it. The humble Knowledge skill

On page 64 it says the skill is not used for tests, but is an in for people when narrating.
Yet College Education (P205) mentions them as skills and the spirit Mentor raven (p205) adds a die for knowledge tests.

Now my thoughts is that you run a test (logic+logic) to try and answer a question when you don't have the right knowledge skill.

But whT do other people think? Is this in fact some hold over from an earlier rule set?

Richard

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-17/1626:45> »
That's basically what I do.  I also figure Contacts have at least one knowledge skill as well.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com

complexmath

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-18-17/1231:47> »
Yeah, my current character had dumped a bunch of karma into knowledge skills in SR5 that were lost in the conversion to Anarchy. Like most things in this game, I think the intent is for knowledge skills to be something that can be used flexibly based on how the group likes to play. LOG+LOG for an untrained test sounds reasonable. And if you want to roll for knowledge in general you could probably say that knowing a particular thing gives you 6 points in that, so roll LOG+6 for things on your list. Or you could break it down further and have knowledge ranks of say 3/6/9.

As a related criticism, my #1 wish for Anarchy is that the rulebook said "this is the default way to do things. However, you can also approach this thing via options A, B, or C, without unduly breaking the game." Some of this exists in the form of optional rules, but knowledge skills almost feel like an afterthought, some amps add dice while some add rerolls, etc, often with no explanation of why, when the explanation often is "all the ways work, do whatever sounds fun to you!"

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-26-17/0458:34> »
I would eyeball it as a GM...

If it's something I think a 6 skill person would readily know then having the Knowledge skill would require no roll ans untrained a LOG+LOG test.

If it's something you'd expect for a 7-12 skill person to know than having the Knowledge skill would require a LOG+LOG test and untrained can't make the test as it would be impossible without some training in the skill.

Gingivitis

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-28-17/2224:30> »
I also say that my players have knowledge skills in each of their Tags.  If they are a troll, they know what it's like to be a troll in 2075s.  If they are ex-corp, they have knowledge of that Corp.  If they are a rigger, they have vehicular knowledge.  This frees up the player to pick a knowledge skill that doesn't necessarily have to do with their archetype, etc.
Shadowrun: Anarchy Resources (GM Screens, Character Sheets, New NPCs, House Rules) at: www.surprisethreat.com