NEWS

Skill for hiding

• 12 Replies

chrokodyle

• Newb
« on: <07-30-17/0552:32> »
Hey Chummer,

a question we discuss in our group again and again is the action of hiding. Not hiding any item but hiding oneself in different situations:
If a character is being tailed or wants to prepare an ambush it seems to be a matter of shadowing. But what if a character wants to hide herself/himself in different situations?
There is no skill "hiding" like in other game systems.
So, could you tell me how you handle hiding actions and what skill you require a player to use for hiding himself?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-17/0706:14> »
Stealth vs. Perception
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

chrokodyle

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-17/1442:47> »
Stealth vs. Perception

Sorry, I must be missing something: Afaik, stealth is a skill group containing disguise, infiltration, palming and shadowing.
So, what skill do you mean by "stealth"?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-17/1454:14> »
In SR5, the skill you're looking for is "Sneaking" (SR5 p.133). "Stealth" is a skill group comprising Sneaking, Disguise, and Palming.

"Infiltration" and "Shadowing" were skills in SR4, both replaced by "Sneaking" in SR5.

chrokodyle

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-01-17/0506:09> »
"Infiltration" and "Shadowing" were skills in SR4, both replaced by "Sneaking" in SR5.

Ah, thanks! I'm playing SR4. I forgot to mention that, sorry!

And that is exactly the question: When would you use "infiltration" for hiding and when would you use "shadowing"?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-17/0948:45> »
Infiltration is Snake sneaking around in Metal Gear.

Shadowing is when you're trying to tail someone through a crowd without being obvious.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-12-17/1915:17> »
So what happens in SR5 when someone is trying to lose a tail, and the other is trying to shadow?  Sneak vs Sneak?
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-12-17/1943:10> »
So what happens in SR5 when someone is trying to lose a tail, and the other is trying to shadow?  Sneak vs Sneak?

Bill is trying to get away from Ted for the day and attempts to lose him in a crowd. Ted is scared of being alone but doesn't want Bill to know that, psh duh, so he tries to follow without being seen

Bill rolls his Agility+Sneaking[physical] vs Ted's Intuition+Perception/Sneaking[mental].

If Ted successfully tails Bill, the rolls (teehee) will be reversed with Ted's Agility+Sneaking[physical] vs Bill's Intuition+Perception/Sneaking[mental]. If Ted succeeds this test, he has remainded hidden. Otherwise, the jig is up and Bill notices Ted following him.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-12-17/1944:53> »
So tracking is literally only for following footprings....
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <08-12-17/1959:38> »

And other clues left by the passage of a person. (Broken twigs, discarded litter, etc).

Basically, any time there has been a passage of time between you and the target. How you track someone in a city where there are no footprints or clues to follow is up to you...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-12-17/2029:05> »

Continuing my example to expand on what Reaver stated.

Bill spots Ted out of the corner of his eye and starts running. A chase ensues and Ted can't keep up.

"Bogus!" Ted exclaims trying to catch his breath. The crowd seems to close in and Ted begins to panic.

"Where could he have gone?!" Ted looks around for signs of Bill rolling his Intuition+Tracking[mental] vs Bill's Agility+Sneaking[physical] since Bill is purposefully trying to blend back into the crowd (hiding his trail). Miraculously, and with the help of some edge, he follows the gaps in the crowd, as well as catching a few personalized vendors trying to get Bill to purchase their wares, and is able to find the café that Bill is now occupying with his arms around a rather attractive gal. Ted sighs and decides to call off the chase.

&#24525;

« Reply #11 on: <08-12-17/2329:21> »
#KeanuReeves_Is_Shadowrun

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #12 on: <08-18-17/1526:05> »
5e specific, at least when trying to lay a trap I have players roll Sneaking + INT, as opposed to AGI. I don't think AGI helps much with trying to find a blind.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal