NEWS

Cybereyes vs. Cyberware in Natural Eye, why would you get a Cybereye?

• 7 Replies

8-bit

« on: <08-18-14/2222:45> »
So, what is the point of getting a Cybereye? You can just install stuff into your natural eye for less money. So, my only theory which I'm not sure about is that Cybereyes are less essence the more upgrades they have? I mean, if I get Cybereye with .5 essence enhancements, and it normally costs .3 essence, does it cost .8 essence or just .3 essence? Because, if it's .8 essence, there is literally no reason to ever get a Cybereye unless you want an eye drone or retinal duplication.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-18-14/2227:56> »
Cybereyes have Capacity, which is used in lieu of Essence when you're putting things inside them.  So your Rating 2 Cybereyes will only ever cost you 0.3 Essence (unless you buy them at a non-standard grade), but you can fit the standard suite of Low-Light, Flare Comp., Smartlink, and Thermographic Vision in them, which would otherwise cost you 0.5 Essence.  Cybereyes also give you a free Image Link (handy) and Camera (super handy).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <08-18-14/2230:08> »
Cybereyes have Capacity, which is used in lieu of Essence when you're putting things inside them.  So your Rating 2 Cybereyes will only ever cost you 0.3 Essence (unless you buy them at a non-standard grade), but you can fit the standard suite of Low-Light, Flare Comp., Smartlink, and Thermographic Vision in them, which would otherwise cost you 0.5 Essence.  Cybereyes also give you a free Image Link (handy) and Camera (super handy).

All right, that's good to know. That'll be really nice to remember when I want decked out eyes that don't cost a ton.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #3 on: <08-18-14/2330:06> »

i dont think you'll have the capacity on a rating 2 to put all those things in em.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-19-14/0106:16> »
i dont think you'll have the capacity on a rating 2 to put all those things in em.

I just checked, it fits exactly - 8 capacity.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #5 on: <08-19-14/1149:59> »
Yeah its not a great option unless you've got cash to burn tbh, might as well just stick smartlink directly in your eye and everything else can go in glasses/goggles/etc
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-19-14/1312:51> »
So, what is the point of getting a Cybereye?
You can fit a lot of visual enhancements in your cybereyes existing capacity that normally would take up essence as retinal modifications to your natural eye.

You can just install stuff into your natural eye for less money.
The cost of visual enhancements as retinal modification to a natural eye cost the same amount of money as if you install it in existing cybereyes. A rating 2 cybereyes cost 6,000¥ (but it also include a free image link worth 1,000¥, a camera that you can't even install as a retinal modification to natural eyes).

Buying rating 2 cybereyes only cost 0.3 essence but for all the visual enhancements you can fit if you use all the capacity would have cost you ~0.5 essence if you instead installed them as retinal modifications to your natural eye (and you would still not get a camera).

You are basically paying 6,000¥ but saving up to ~0.2 essence (plus getting 1,000¥ worth of image link and a camera).

If you really want to save money you should probably get visual enhancements in an external imaging device (like goggles - or a monocle if you are a magician).

if I get Cybereye with .5 essence enhancements, and it normally costs .3 essence, does it cost .8 essence or just .3 essence?
0.3 essence

Note that once the capacity in your cybereyes is used up... then you can't install any more visual enhancements. You can't start paying essence to fit more enhancements (once you get cybereyes you no longer have any natural retinal to install them in). The only way you can fit more enhancements after you run out of capacity in your cybereyes is to get new eyes with a higher rating and even more capacity.
« Last Edit: <08-19-14/1324:31> by Xenon »

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <08-19-14/1631:10> »
For a Human+Cyber character, like your typical Rigger, Samurai or even Decker, I tend to get Rating-2 eyes nearly as a default option.
Right up there w/ Initiative boosters of some type.
Rating-2 = Capacity-8 = Smartlink, Thermal, Flare Comp, & either Lowlight or Magnification.  Add in the free Image Link & Camera & your ready to rock.

For Awakened characters its different, in that case w/ the magically active I skip most cyber, & for the meta-races & tend to add in Image, Smartlink, &/or Flare Comp at the most, to natural eyes.