NEWS

AI Drone Rigger/Cyberdeck Thingie

• 3 Replies

Kato

• Newb
« on: <09-20-19/1826:40> »
So...I have a player who has the building blocks of an AI (essentially he managed to smuggle out enough code on a run, don't ask how) and seems very interested in building it up to be a part of the campaign. Since the group currently lacks both a decker (see game jacker post in Gamemaster's section of the board) and a rigger I figured I would try to use the AI to fill both roles. So what the player will have to do is a series of side missions where he gathers up enough components to make a fully functioning AI rigger/decker character.

He will have to gather a cyberdeck and drone and an RCC to make this work. I would like to have the cyberdeck and RCC hardwired inside of the drone so that the AI can be sort of an all in one package. I know it is doable by a "I'm the GM I can make it happen" standard, but I'd like to make the player work for it. So are there any rules or precedents on inserting a cyberdeck and RCC inside a Mitsuhama Akiyama drone? It is less about the possibility of it happening as it is about a series of steps for the player to complete before getting his pet NPC. Thanks!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-20-19/2003:36> »
Check out Data Trails, it details how AI can use the Emulate action so they don't need a cyberdeck or RCC to perform what those devices accomplish. I'd say just load the AI into the drone, and it will learn how to do the rest. Of course, getting an especially rare (perhaps a prototype that looks human?) assassin drone sounds like a great run on it's own.

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-20-19/2034:45> »
That's the plan. He'll find the location of a semi-prototype Akiyama drone with level 4 realistic features, but have to do a fairly serious run to get it. He's trying to keep his deeds with the AI a secret, but can't pull it off on his own, so the trick will be to get the stuff he needs while enlisting the help of the rest of the party without letting them in on it.

If he pulls it off he'll suddenly have a little helper that looks real but seems off and is a good decker/rigger. If he fails...well the possibilities are endless. It's nice when a player outlines a series of side runs for you, so I'm going to make it as extravagant as possible. I'm thinking some sky scrapper style runs.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-21-19/0351:57> »
In SR4, the AI rules included 'lifestyle' upkeep costs of their host device, which depended on how well-skilled the AI was. There will definitely be upkeep costs in repairs needed to keep the drone operational, so it won't be a free helper. 8)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!