NEWS

Those of you w/ the core rulebook - help me make a badass!

• 89 Replies

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <08-12-19/1716:59> »
What weapons does that build use, Hobbes? Not katana, right?

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <08-12-19/1955:41> »
Also, does anyone know if Edge starts at 1? I think it likely does.

Also, what do the 1   5 entries mean on the character you made, Stainless Steel Devil Rat?
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/1958:12> by Moonrunner »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-12-19/1959:18> »

Edge starts at 1 for everyone, even Humans.

Also, what do the 1   5 entries mean on the character you made, Stainless Steel Devil Rat?

I think you mean Hobbes. I didn't post a character, I just kibitzed :)
But what it looks like he did was he has 1 rank in that skill, and the 5 designates that he spent 5 karma to get it rather than having allocated a skill point.  Which, btw, is a smart way to use skill points. Much smarter than giving a skill only 1 rank by way of giving it 1 skill point.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/2002:15> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <08-12-19/2007:29> »

Edge starts at 1 for everyone, even Humans.

I think you mean Hobbes. I didn't post a character, I just kibitzed :)
But what it looks like he did was he has 1 rank in that skill, and the 5 designates that he spent 5 karma to get it rather than having allocated a skill point.  Which, btw, is a smart way to use skill points. Much smarter than giving a skill only 1 rank by way of giving it 1 skill point.

I see...he spent 5 Karma pts to get 1 rank in each of those skills.  Thank you all for helping a n00b like me so much.  I sincerely appreciate you all! I am learning a lot.

If I go with Hobbes' build (gosh I wish I could find a 6e character sheet somewhere to download to map this out) and use it as my elf what gear do you all recommend, including Cyberware or Bioware? I know I need to keep Cyber and Bio to a as lower than 1 Essense losss for my Magic.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-12-19/2016:09> »
Well the question of what, if any, augmentations you buy for a magician is a very tricky one. I'm going to answer as if magic loss will impose a Power Point loss as well.

So 1 point of essence is a threshold you probably don't want to go past, unless you really want to burn out and just have a few adept powers to go with your cyberware, rather than the other way around.  Inside that 1 essence... what's best really depends on what your adept is going to do. 

Is he going to be a fighter? A talker? A driver? A hacker? A covert ops ninja type? What's good for one will usually be sub-optimal for the others when you're only looking to spend at most 1.0 essence.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <08-12-19/2041:26> »
I see him as a frontline fighter with some stealthy ability as well. 

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <08-12-19/2057:15> »
Well, there's two schools of thought in 5e on this.  Either double up cyberware and adept powers to get super uber awesome at some thing, better than anyone could ever be solely thru cyber or magic alone.... and using cyber/bio to gain abilities so that you don't have to spend adept powers on it.

As of 6we, the first school of thought is more or less extinct.  You can't ever get more than +4 bonus dice to any skill test, so there's no "stacking cyber and magic to do what neither could do alone".  Pretty much leaves the 2nd avenue.

You want to do fighting and you want to do sneaking.  You can use augmentations to shore up the option between the two to be your secondary facet and use adept powers for the primary.

Fighting secondary: Get something like bone lacing. You won't need to spend power points on killing hands, and of course it gives defensive bonuses as well.
Sneaking secondary: A Reflex Recorder for Sneaking would be a great buy, allowing you to buy more bonus dice via Adept powers for your Close Combat and/or Firearms skills.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <08-12-19/2103:00> »
It looks like Hobbes had the following on this build for augmentation:

Augment
Bone Density   4  alpha
Muscle Replace   4  Used
Synap   3  Used

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-12-19/2110:53> »
It looks like Hobbes had the following on this build for augmentation:

Augment
Bone Density   4  alpha
Muscle Replace   4  Used
Synap   3  Used

He spent 5.45 essence though.  That's a bet on there never being a fix on Power Points and essence loss.  My opinion is that's not a safe bet ;)
A rough rule of thumb when you're considering cyberware vs bioware options that more or less do the same thing (like bone lacing vs bone density): the cyberware option is more nuyen friendly, and the bioware option is more essence friendly.  Essence friendly is key, yes, but then again so is nuyen depending on where your resources priority is.

Another option for a minimal essence outlay would be to get cybereyes and/or cyberears, letting you crank up sensory advantages w/o spending power points.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/2115:37> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <08-12-19/2322:50> »
Also, does anyone know what the Archetypes in the core rulebook are meant for? Can you grab one and just play it as-is or do you have to add some points to them? The book doesn't really explain them at all.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #40 on: <08-12-19/2349:14> »
Archetypes are always the grab-and-go character you can use instead of building your own.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <08-13-19/0009:09> »
Archetypes are always the grab-and-go character you can use instead of building your own.

Thanks!!!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <08-13-19/0037:06> »
I advice against using a katana since it's a two-handed weapon by description. For a two-handed weapon it usually sucks.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <08-13-19/0137:55> »
Should I just use Shock Gloves?

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <08-13-19/1711:32> »
For Attributes are the numbers in parenthesis after each attribute the cost in buying the attribute to that level?

S   5 (9)
A   7 (11)
R   5 (8  )