NEWS

5e Grease Man

• 2 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <07-13-20/1419:53> »
This is a rough draft of a grease man I think would be fun.
He's got errors and needs a good bit of work.
I wanted to throw it to the group and let y'all tear it apart for me.

He's second line combat, physical infiltration and aquisitions specilist. 
An air duct/elevator shaft kinda guy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IyFmA7roEceNtc8ef2uoulf0HX5zbaLA/view?usp=sharing

WHat suggestions do you have? The cyberlimbs are the core of the concept so I can't drop those to save cash, lol.
But I got no problem altering them.  Do I need the customized strength and Agi or would I be better off saving the money?
« Last Edit: <07-13-20/1808:14> by Chalkarts »
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-13-20/1909:35> »
I've never heard the expression "Grease Man" before. Maybe it's like Groundskeeper Willie telling Lunchlady Doris to grease him up before he goes into the HVAC system.

Personally, I would save the eyes and ears for later. At the start, they're easier to replace with gear. Down the road, they're easier to upgrade incrementally. That saves some nuyen. And I think some of the eye mods conflict with Hawk Eye.

I would ditch the partial cyberlimbs and go for for full limbs. Drop the Alphaware if you need to free up nuyen. You could even go Used, which is a hit to your Essence but allows you to access some higher Availability upgrades, like Armor 3. Armor 3 in each limb = instant tank. Plus, speaking of tanks, you could put the Internal Air Tank into one of the limbs to help balance the Essence hit. Maybe the commlink too.

Your limbs might run into your Wired Reflexes. An extra initiative die is nice but it's not critical. You could also consider Reaction Enhancers instead of Wired Reflexes. If you get them Used, you'll not only save Essence but nuyen too. Your average initiative boost won't be as high but you'll be better off for dodging and Reaction tests (like driving, should you learn to do that).

Boost those hydraulic jacks if you can, not so much for the jumping (which is underwhelming) but for doing superhero landings like a boss when you're falling.

Agility 6 and Strength 6 are the minimum, but half the reason to get cyberlimbs is to get Agility 9 (and Strength 9 if possible) for a pittance. I'd make that a high priority. You can add a spur to one of your cyberlimbs for some Grade A stabby-stab. That also saves you having to split skill points between Blades and Unarmed Combat. Just go with the latter with the Cyber-Implant Weapon spec you have.

Depending on your GM, you could dump Strength and/or Agility from your attribute point spending because your cyberlimbs will represent 99% of your Strength and Agility tests. I suppose a GM could complain about your core strength, but that's not well-represented in Shadowrun mechanics.

Perceptive is a bit expensive unless you also have Assensing or something else it can apply to.

That's what I have time for. Have fun!
« Last Edit: <07-13-20/1911:18> by Tecumseh »

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-20/0955:09> »
I've never heard the expression "Grease Man" before. Maybe it's like Groundskeeper Willie telling Lunchlady Doris to grease him up before he goes into the HVAC system.

Lol, yes, it's pretty much exactly like that.  They refer to The Amazing Yen as a grease man in Oceans 11.  A small guy that can fit in small spaces and has the acrobatic chops to get anywhere is neat to me, a large guy that doesn't fit anywhere. 
I thought it would be fun to combine that idea with telescopic limbs and monkey feet.
I did drop the eyes, thanks for pointing out the hawk eye conflict.
The ears however I felt could be too useful via enhancement and the ability to hear approaching footfalls so I can hide on the ceiling before the guards get there.

I also took your advice on the reaction enhancers instead of the wired reflexes.  Upon reflection it fits the character better thematically.

I also really liked your idea to get a spur so I could just focus on implant weapons.  If I stayed with partial limbs(totally thematic choice) I'd have to drop some finger tools to fit a spur in because the other hand is full of shock glove.  Perhaps I can fit a spur into a foot, lol.

Dropped perceptive per your advice.

the limb strength/agi boosts are mostly to compensate for the strength loss of extended limbs so that I could effectively attack from 6 feet away.  I wasn't really going for a totally jacked character, just one that doesn't get super weak whenever he reaches out to poke/shock someone.

Thanks for the advice!
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts