NEWS

SR 6 info

• 745 Replies

easl

• Newb
« on: <05-02-19/1409:25> »
Has Catalyst come out with any substantive info on system/rules changes that we'll see in SR6? Anyone have scoop to share?  Or is everything close-hold until June?

Just curious.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-02-19/1418:59> »
Nothing apart from the stuff mentioned in the podcast interview, so we know that but we already recapped things in the podcast topic.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-02-19/1420:04> »
Nothing formal from CGL other than the postings yesterday. There is a pretty good introduction to the new system on the Complex Action YouTube channel that might be worth taking a look at.

easl

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-02-19/1429:24> »
Cool thanks, I'll check out both.

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #4 on: <05-03-19/0702:48> »
Remember when D&D decided to simplify the system, over-corrected, and gave us 4th edition?

Here's hoping Shadowrun 7th edition finds the balance.

(I'm an old and jaded gamer, my snark is born from experience.)
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-03-19/0911:30> »
Dnd 4th was the most awful thing I have ever witnessed in my preferred gaming (dnd 1st ed through 5th, world of darkness games 2nd through revised, warhammer fantasy role-play 1st and 2nd edition, shadowrun 5th edition, star wars saga edition, pathfinder). I don't care for 5th ed much either, save enjoying that the numbers are smaller than 3.0/3.5.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

incrdbil

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <05-03-19/1236:56> »
I am probably weird, and know what I would like wont happen. I've grown tired of rolling buckets of d6's, multiple times to resolve one action. I'd love a system that could resolve to hit and damage with one roll..two at most. Same thing with magic. And quicker matrix combat--the marks requirement for hacking needs to go, makes matrix combat so slow. A new characteristic system, with more granularity than the traditional he limited 1-6 baselines. I'd settle for a d10, percentile, or d20 based. Not going to see it probably.

And no, don't say try Shadowrun anarchy. I hate the Cue system.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <05-03-19/1647:32> »
I am probably weird, and know what I would like wont happen. I've grown tired of rolling buckets of d6's, multiple times to resolve one action. I'd love a system that could resolve to hit and damage with one roll..two at most. Same thing with magic. And quicker matrix combat--the marks requirement for hacking needs to go, makes matrix combat so slow. A new characteristic system, with more granularity than the traditional he limited 1-6 baselines. I'd settle for a d10, percentile, or d20 based. Not going to see it probably.

And no, don't say try Shadowrun anarchy. I hate the Cue system.
Well, marks are gone in SR6. Soak rolls are now Body-only, so a low amount of dice. So you're already getting less massive rolling.

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <05-03-19/1721:31> »
I follow this summary but it is still edited back and forth
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZPN1-6xfGD9SV6xD85eaJIWoNq0NcsBdE3CQI8s5rJU/edit#heading=h.h701ncsxs7zi

By the description I do wonder what armor now does except denying the shooter edge?
« Last Edit: <05-03-19/1825:26> by Ixal »

KennyHass

• Newb
  • Critical Glitched
« Reply #9 on: <05-03-19/1739:23> »
Can't watch to see it soon.  :D

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #10 on: <05-03-19/1848:12> »

[/quote]Well, marks are gone in SR6. Soak rolls are now Body-only, so a low amount of dice. So you're already getting less massive rolling.
[/quote]

But....but....No Shooka Shooka Boom....  :(
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-03-19/2054:55> »

Well, marks are gone in SR6. Soak rolls are now Body-only, so a low amount of dice. So you're already getting less massive rolling.
[/quote]

But....but....No Shooka Shooka Boom....  :(
[/quote]

It sounds like they will be large pools for everything else still. Agility 10+6 skill+misc still tossing 18+dice for shooting.  Your dodge can still be 7 reaction+5 intuition+combat sense 6 or whatever.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-08-19/0511:40> »
The main thing I have doubts about, is a single initiative pass for everybody, but extra minor actions per pass for people with boosted reflexes. That's probably the biggest change to the initiative system ever, and I've always felt the initiative system was perhaps the most defining feature of the Shadowrun system.

It seems to me this can go one of two ways: either it ends up as a big nerf to street samurai because they get less actions, or you get the SR2 problem where they get all their actions first before anyone else gets a chance to do anything. Possibly both.

I get that the initiative system is heavy and complex, but it's also deeply rooted in Shadowrun. It's evocative and cool. I already didn't like the predictable number of initiative passes of SR4; a bit of unpredictability and randomness is cool.

I have no strong opinion on any of the other proposed changes, but this one I really don't like, the more I think about it. Can someone sell me on it?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <05-08-19/0533:44> »
Your extra passes often had little to no value, while extra actions are always useful. And the worst you can get is 1 extra Major if you have enough base dice. So it avoids a few problems of SR2 and SR4/5. Plus your roll won't cost you extra actions. It also solves Movement and Suppressive Fire wonkyness with multiple passes.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <05-08-19/0554:44> »
The changes to Initiative may put off the fans of high-speed Streetsams and Gun-Kata Adepts, but they will also make Combat easier to resolve and keep everyone else more engaged. I also like it that Movement is now an Action, many players are confused by a system where movement is disconnected from Actions. I just hope that there will be enough usefull Simple Minor Actions to make having just 2 or 3 of them profitable for mundanes. A conversion Rate of 4 Minor to 1 Major is really steep, I wish they would go with 3... Maybe a thing for a houserule.

My biggest fear is about this Edge thing. It could be just the right thing in theory, but there´s just too many signs in the air right now that the devs have completely overdone it with that mechanic.