NEWS

Run & Gun rules questions

• 138 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« on: <04-10-14/1912:57> »
Errata goes here http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=16009.0

How do Gel Packs count in terms of encumbrance?  Do they add to the base armor or are they considered a +2 armor modification?

Can we get some clarification on the internal/integral issue?  Specifically, does the integral smartlink in the Ares Predator take up the internal slot?  Does the top-mounted laser sight on the Browning Max-Power take up its top slot?  If yes, how are the slots on the HK Urban Combat allocated?  If no, can I add an additional Shock Pad to the already-integrated one on the PJSS Model 55?

From whom does the team leader transfer initiative points using a level II P-Tac?  His own initiative?  Another team member's?
« Last Edit: <04-10-14/2014:23> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-10-14/2247:18> »
Can skill points be spent in character generation in lieu of karma for martial arts specializations (just like normal specializations)?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <04-10-14/2300:31> »
Lemme see if I can answer your questions.

Gel Packs probably count as armor modifications, same as helmets and shields.  Thus, they're kinda useless for low-STR characters, but their drawback would make putting it on one a bad idea anyways.

I'm certain standard upgrades do not take up slots; looking at weapon stats and comparing them with that in mind makes a lot of otherwise pointless options make sense (like "why does this gun with a smartgun cost more than this other equal gun and a smartgun accessory?).

Adding an additional shock pad would do nothing; there's no reason to think they would stack with eachother.  Also, funnily enough, the chart on page 53 actually specifies that a shock pad does not stack with itself.  So there you go.

They explain the initiative transfer more clearly in Level III P-Tac.  The team leader can transfer from themselves to any other member.  There's no rules about what action that is or when it happens, but it's implied it can be done once per turn (again based on Level III's rules) and I'd say it's probably done when initiative is rolled as a non-action.

Martial Arts specializations are more like Qualities.  7 Karma to learn an art, 4 karma to learn another technique.  Spending skillpoints on them would have to be a houserule, and honestly, a rip off.  7 Karma is the same price a specialization, but after that, you're much better off increasing a skill beyond 2 (because at that point it costs more than 4 Karma to do that).
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-11-14/0209:42> »
And at the same time they are not qualities too. ^^

So they don't count on your 25 karma it would seem.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-11-14/0254:56> »
Anybody know the stats of the Kraken that attacks all shadowrunners that fail Deep Sea Diving tests?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <04-11-14/0654:46> »
Lemme see if I can answer your questions.

Gel Packs probably count as armor modifications, same as helmets and shields.  Thus, they're kinda useless for low-STR characters, but their drawback would make putting it on one a bad idea anyways.
You're thinking Armor Accessories. And Gel Packs don't sound as one, they state they increase the armor rating of the armor.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <04-11-14/0738:02> »
It seems odd that they'd leave an armor+ mod so poorly defined.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-11-14/0907:07> »
How does the Gun Kata (Kip Up) work?  Gun Kata is linked to Firearms and Kip Up specifies a Close Combat Attack.  If my character makes his check, does he get to stand and fire his gun at someone within melee range as a Standard Action?  Would he get his specialization dice to the Agility + Gymnastics roll and/or the attack roll?

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-11-14/1001:14> »
How does the Gun Kata (Kip Up) work?  Gun Kata is linked to Firearms and Kip Up specifies a Close Combat Attack.  If my character makes his check, does he get to stand and fire his gun at someone within melee range as a Standard Action?  Would he get his specialization dice to the Agility + Gymnastics roll and/or the attack roll?

In Gun Kata, it says "Additionally, the gun is used as both a ranged and melee weapon. . . . Guns used with Gun Kata have to be custom designed for impact and tricked with melee accessories."

It doesn't say that it's use of Kip-up is different from normal, and with melee weapon use, I read this as. .  Kip up and smack your target with the gun.

Edited; I guess nothing in kip-up disqualifies you shooting your target, since firing is a simple, and you would still have a simple, but I wouldn't apply any martial arts dice to the shot, and I would apply the firing at melee range penalty.
« Last Edit: <04-11-14/1040:04> by Agonar »
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <04-11-14/1045:49> »
Didn't see anything about this, but HV and Miniguns no longer double the number of bullets (and recoil) they produce now? If so, that is perhaps my favorite change. it makes the Vindicator now a useful weapon without a metric ton of RC. :)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #10 on: <04-11-14/1147:13> »
Not sure if this thread is actually going to be used by the Devs, but if we're using it as something of a continuation of the FAQ thread then...

Touch-Only Attack (p.124): Some confusion on stun weapons. The second paragraph goes into detail concerning shock gloves and stun batons. Specifically, it states that if the weapons are used in touch-only attacks, net hits do not increase DV. Does that mean you can use them without the +2 touch-only attack bonus and can increase the DV? Punching with stun gloves, etc.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-11-14/1321:08> »
also, is there actually a mechanical benefit to having a safety system? does it negate friendly fire, for instance. RAI one would think, but there are no mechanics to what the thing actually does.

Also does Custom Fit (Stacked) follow encumberance rules, since they were made to go together?
« Last Edit: <04-11-14/1323:34> by MagusRogue »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-12-14/0255:00> »
Not sure if this thread is actually going to be used by the Devs, but if we're using it as something of a continuation of the FAQ thread then...

Touch-Only Attack (p.124): Some confusion on stun weapons. The second paragraph goes into detail concerning shock gloves and stun batons. Specifically, it states that if the weapons are used in touch-only attacks, net hits do not increase DV. Does that mean you can use them without the +2 touch-only attack bonus and can increase the DV? Punching with stun gloves, etc.

I hope so, there is no rule stopping tasers from scaling from net hits as far as I can tell it would be lame to only inflict that on melee.(hell the rule that net hits don't add for touch attacks is already lame)  Still no answer on how touch attacks work with indirect combat spells(boo!)

Some of these things are silly.  So IAIJUTSU lets you draw your sword and attack as a simple action, but as soon as your sword is drawn you go back to it being a complex action to just attack?  Same with Kip-Up apparently I can spring to my feet from prone and punch you in the face as a simple action, but if I decide to just punch you in the face its now a complex action?  Were they planning on changing melee to a simple action and then forgot to or something?  I think they should, but wherever they end up on that it seems silly that adding actions to a maneuver makes it a smaller action. The actual phrasing is If successful, the character can then attack with the weapon as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action.  It makes me wonder if I can combine it with a free action multiple attacks?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-12-14/0303:28> »
And at the same time they are not qualities too. ^^

So they don't count on your 25 karma it would seem.
There is also that weirdly priced quality that lets you take a maneuver without the martial art for 7 points.  Or you could learn the martial art for 7 points and get 1 maneuver free and have it 1 not count against your qualities and 2 make you trained in martial arts which opens up a decent variety of tricks for free. I guess if you already have a martial art and need a maneuver from a different martial art and can't wait until after the game starts it is sort of worth it.  Outside of that a lame quality.

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <04-12-14/0626:45> »

I hope so, there is no rule stopping tasers from scaling from net hits as far as I can tell it would be lame to only inflict that on melee.(hell the rule that net hits don't add for touch attacks is already lame)  Still no answer on how touch attacks work with indirect combat spells(boo!)

Some of these things are silly.  So IAIJUTSU lets you draw your sword and attack as a simple action, but as soon as your sword is drawn you go back to it being a complex action to just attack?  Same with Kip-Up apparently I can spring to my feet from prone and punch you in the face as a simple action, but if I decide to just punch you in the face its now a complex action?  Were they planning on changing melee to a simple action and then forgot to or something?  I think they should, but wherever they end up on that it seems silly that adding actions to a maneuver makes it a smaller action. The actual phrasing is If successful, the character can then attack with the weapon as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action.  It makes me wonder if I can combine it with a free action multiple attacks?

I would think both of these are due to the fact that they are surprise attacks? Iaijutsu in particular strikes me as something where it makes sense that it is a simple action.

From Wiki, emphasis mine ;

"Purpose[edit]

Iaijutsu is a combative sword-drawing art but not necessarily an aggressive art because iaijutsu is also a counterattack-oriented art. Iaijutsu technique may be used aggressively to wage a premeditated surprise attack against an unsuspecting enemy.[2]:14,50 The formulation of iaijutsu as a component system of classical bujutsu was made less for the dynamic situations of the battlefield than for the relatively static applications of the warrior's daily life off the field of battle.[2]:52"