NEWS

[5e] Technomancer

• 141 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #30 on: <02-10-14/1524:59> »
Saying TMs can use programs because of their Echo is a weak point.  It is simply not worth 13 Karma, minimum, to gain access to single program that a decker can have for a piddly little 250¥.  In no way is that fair.  And in order for it to eventually become an advantage over the decker, you'd need to submerge four or five times, costing you at least 69 Karma, and even then, that's only giving you four programs that you have on all the time without any of the intense flexibility that a decker has with his programs.

A program is not equal to an echo.

But see, part of my problem is that you are essentially saying "A technomancer doesn't need to rely on their special abilities!  They can just do what deckers do, too!"  But if you're not making use of those abilities, especially if you ever buy a deck for whatever reason, you should have just made a mundane decker.  A technomancer should not have to buy things a decker has in order to be comparable to them.  The whole point is that they are supposed to accomplish the same thing using different methods; the more of a TM's uniqueness you give up, the more pointless it is to be one.

It shouldn't take so much work to equal a decker when it comes to the matrix, because a decker will also be able to be competent at other things as well, often combat or social skills, largely because of their augmentations and larger freedom with attributes and skill points.

That said, I absolutely trust that Data Trails will fix enough of the issues I have with the current rules for Technomancers.  Right now they don't feel intentionally weak as much as they just feel like they've hardly got enough material to work with... 
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #31 on: <02-10-14/1555:23> »
Here is a modified version, with everything from 4e removed. and the skills that were missing re-added
Couple of things:
- You can't take a specialization for a skill that you acquired in a Skill Group until the latter part of chargen. What that means is you have to spend 7 karma, rather than 1 Skill Point. Your (Cleaner) specialization in Software appears to violate that.
- I believe your Matrix Initiative should be 7+4D6. TMs have to be in Hot-Sim when they're in VR.
- A BOD of 1?
- I still think you're going to have problems in the Matrix with that build. While you can probably stay as a ghost with respect to GOD, I'm not sure you're really going to be able to do all that much otherwise. Consider it this way, your Hacking skill is 5 with a Logic of 3. That's 8 dice against anything that isn't a device. While you have a Hot-Sim bonus, you're probably going to offset that by Running Silently. You're going to have a tough time with a Rating 3 host (which will probably resist with 8-9 dice).
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #32 on: <02-10-14/1604:24> »
That said, I absolutely trust that Data Trails will fix enough of the issues I have with the current rules for Technomancers.  Right now they don't feel intentionally weak as much as they just feel like they've hardly got enough material to work with...

Could not agree more.  I think TMs are a little like Riggers in that sense.  Ironically, the archetype with the worst is the combination of those two: Dronomancers.  I think it'd be badass if Mind Over Machine allowed the TM to swap out Attack and Sleaze for Noise Reduction and Sharing on the fly, in addition to its existing bonuses.

We'll see once Data Trails comes out, but they definitely need a little love.  TMs are amazing - but right now it's a little unbalanced.  I still love the TM though, and I have a great one on my team.  He's not as uber as a decker would be, but he doesn't need to be.  I put him against challenges he can handle, and he finds unique solutions to problems with his combination of Complex Forms and skills.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Triskavanski

« Reply #33 on: <02-10-14/1611:43> »
Saying TMs can use programs because of their Echo is a weak point.  It is simply not worth 13 Karma, minimum, to gain access to single program that a decker can have for a piddly little 250¥.  In no way is that fair.  And in order for it to eventually become an advantage over the decker, you'd need to submerge four or five times, costing you at least 69 Karma, and even then, that's only giving you four programs that you have on all the time without any of the intense flexibility that a decker has with his programs.

A program is not equal to an echo.

The Argument was "Technomancers can't use programs!", which I had provided as invalid.

You're also missing quite a bit of other things in the comparison here. Namely the Y cost.

Yes the program is either 80Y or 250Y. But you also forget the Deck.

A Decker would need to spend at least 49,500Y To run a single program or even begin decking. He'd only be able to run A single program at a time. Making the total cost to do just the basic Decking, 49,250.

For the decker to run 4 programs at the same time, he'd need 345,000Y 1000Y for the programs. So, 346kY or 173 Karma based on the ability to use Karma for extra Y at the start of the game.

And that is just the cost of using a deck.

So while you spent 69 karma on submersion, You can spend your money for a lot more varied gear than just your deck. If you wanted to, you could even buy a deck and use that to run some additional programs by remote commanding it.

But here's a little secret, the program Lockdown. Since Technomancers are not devices, they cannot be targeted with things like Crash Program. Combined with Fualt Sprites, you can quickly make someones day pretty bad.

Compiled Sprites can also sustain a complex form, as a single task, which could be used in Resonance Channel to remove noise due to distance.

You can also use Diffusion of [Matrix Attribute] against devices, then get a sprite to handle the sustain as well.

But see, part of my problem is that you are essentially saying "A technomancer doesn't need to rely on their special abilities!  They can just do what deckers do, too!"  But if you're not making use of those abilities, especially if you ever buy a deck for whatever reason, you should have just made a mundane decker.  A technomancer should not have to buy things a decker has in order to be comparable to them.  The whole point is that they are supposed to accomplish the same thing using different methods; the more of a TM's uniqueness you give up, the more pointless it is to be one.

Yet, Mages don't go around everywhere constantly casting probe thought all the time, using magic fingers to open doors, or other various actions that normal people do in the real world. Do you as a Mage cast physical barriers to make cover and then stand behind that? Or do you use that only when you have no other choice or its the /best/ choice?

If you're a cybersolider, do you open doors or punch through them all because your special abilites in your fist allow you to do so, so you MUST use it all the time.

You're a technomancer, not an AI. Mages don't spend all their money on ONLY magic things. Similar with Phys Adept vs something like a Street Samurai. You can spend all your power on doing "unique" things like being able to kill people with your magic fists. Or you can be more subtle about it. A Mage could use a gun, or he could use fireball. If someone puts up an astral barrier, the mage doesn't sit and cry if he doesn't have a way around it. He picks up his gun and shoots the guy on the other side if he has to.

The uniqueness of a Technomancer isn't /constantly/ threading complex forms and the like. No, Its the ability to constantly be online. Its the ability to be able to hack non-stop without GOD coming down and bricking your device. You are not a replacement for technology, because technology is your plaything.

It shouldn't take so much work to equal a decker when it comes to the matrix, because a decker will also be able to be competent at other things as well, often combat or social skills, largely because of their augmentations and larger freedom with attributes and skill points.

And that is the thing, Technomancers are not deckers. They don't rely on technology like a decker does. They are a Ghost in the Shell, capable of accessing the matrix anywhere and everywhere. But this again doesn't mean they are unneeding of tech.

A Technomancer is like a general, while the decker is a soldier. The Technomancer can move through the matrix, practically undetectable the entire time, setting up things that are not his to do what he wants to do.

Triskavanski

« Reply #34 on: <02-10-14/1615:01> »
Here is a modified version, with everything from 4e removed. and the skills that were missing re-added
Couple of things:
- You can't take a specialization for a skill that you acquired in a Skill Group until the latter part of chargen. What that means is you have to spend 7 karma, rather than 1 Skill Point. Your (Cleaner) specialization in Software appears to violate that.
- I believe your Matrix Initiative should be 7+4D6. TMs have to be in Hot-Sim when they're in VR.
- A BOD of 1?
- I still think you're going to have problems in the Matrix with that build. While you can probably stay as a ghost with respect to GOD, I'm not sure you're really going to be able to do all that much otherwise. Consider it this way, your Hacking skill is 5 with a Logic of 3. That's 8 dice against anything that isn't a device. While you have a Hot-Sim bonus, you're probably going to offset that by Running Silently. You're going to have a tough time with a Rating 3 host (which will probably resist with 8-9 dice).

The skill group uses karma to do that.
Yes a Body of 1.
And ah you're right about the inititive. I got mixed up with astral.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <02-10-14/1627:36> »
It's hard to tell what you did or did not spend karma on, so I figured I would ask.

Other than previously mentioned concerns, my only other objection is the Signature NQ worth 10 points that seems functionally identical to a limited version of Distinctive Style, but that's really just quibbling over karma.

So what do you think this guy could do in the matrix?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #36 on: <02-10-14/1808:12> »
Well, obviously, I'll have to start small. I don't have the technological support I'd want just yet to go too crazy, like a mage without focuses and such. I need to replace a complex form with Reduce Matrix Attribute (Firewall)

First steps -

Each day start off with putting up my first complex form, the one that hides me from GOD. Once that is up and everything, I know my score can only increase now when I take Sleeze/Attack actions and possibly with compiling sprites.

Since I can have three complied sprites at a time right now, I get those done with at least a power 2, if not 3. IF I need anymore sprites later on, I'll make those as well as the time comes. Heck, I can set these up days a head of time.

These sprites would probably be something like fault, courier or machine sprites, due to having a higher defense power, making it that much easier to hold the complex forms I give them, if that happens.

With those guys set up, I begin standard data searches and the like without using the matrix. I probably would immediately jump up a grid level or two when I start the day.

Now that I'm connected I begin doing Matrix searches and the like, but also begin looking for small, less protected prey.

When we begin going up against things, my fault sprites move in to attack it While one other sprite is given a complex form, Diffusion of Attribute, knocking down the firewall to nothing. Unlike a decker who has to climb over the wall, I simply poison it. I don't need high scores to take on things, I just bring them down to where I can walk on top of them.

Later on, when I get my own decks, I have them assist me with agent programs. But just because i have them, doesn't make me a slave to the decks.

EDIT:

I made a few more changes there. I now am a fleshy deck with 6 firewall, 5 attack 5 data processing, and 5 sleaze. Pretty much being on the level of a Renraku Tsurgi as far as stats go within the matrix. Understandably outside of the matrix I'm a weakling.
« Last Edit: <02-10-14/1818:23> by Triskavanski »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <02-10-14/1816:11> »
Just an FYI, you can only have one compiled sprite at a time, you can have three registered sprites though, but Fading is a bitch and the way that the rules are written, it is really tough to register a low level sprite (which is just stupid).
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #38 on: <02-10-14/1822:05> »
A sprite with a rating of 2, is 4dv fade, right?

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <02-10-14/1823:21> »
No, no. Fade is equal to twice the number of hits the sprite gets, not the rating of the sprite itself. This goes for both compiling (where they roll their  level) and registering (where they roll -twice- their level).
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <02-10-14/1825:25> »
The reason it is tough to register a low level sprite isn't fading, it's because you're hits are limited by the level of the sprite. So a L1 sprite gets to roll two dice against your (max) 1 success. You could use Edge to get around the limit, it isn't a bad idea there.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #41 on: <02-10-14/1834:09> »
Ah!

so actually easier than I thought it was to get a higher level sprite than it is to get a lower level sprite, and my drain isn't 2xlevel, but 2xhits.

So the most a level 3 sprite could do to me is 6dv. And I should ever need them 'right now', but idealy days a head of time, giving me plently of time to recover my stun track.

Well, I guess there is a reason, I have 5 edge.
« Last Edit: <02-10-14/1836:30> by Triskavanski »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <02-10-14/1835:41> »
So the most a level 3 sprite could do to me is 6dv.

On compiling, yes.  On Registering, it's up to 12.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Triskavanski

« Reply #43 on: <02-10-14/1837:30> »
Nevermind, I was failing the understanding of hits and net hits.
« Last Edit: <02-10-14/1842:25> by Triskavanski »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-10-14/1841:29> »
It's 2DV per hit.  When registering, the sprite opposes with Level*Level.  Thus, they can potentially get twice their Level in hits and inflict four times their Level in Fading.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites