NEWS

[SR5] Quick question - Quick answer thread

• 347 Replies

Carz

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <07-31-13/1608:22> »
What does it actually take to slave a device?
In terms of MARKs/ownership and action type.
Do you need to be the owner? Have 3 MARKs on the item? Does it take a complex action to slave a device? Less?

PANS and WANS section, pg 233 tells us we CAN slave devices to comlinks, or cyberdecks to provide them with improved protections, but I can't seem to locate any info on whether you have to be the "owner" of said devices, or even have any specific number of MARKs on them to perform slaving.

The book does indicate that the Master is not necessarily the Owner of the device, so maybe it just requires Owner access to perform the slave action; but then, do you need like 3 marks on the hackers cybedreck to get it to accept the slave, or maybe your just 'offering' the slaving and the cyberdeck owner has to accept with some type of action...

Since the team hacker may want the rest of their team to slave their vulnerable equipment to his high-end cyberdeck for protection, its kind of important to know if they can do it without making the hacker their device's owner too.

On the flip side, a rogue hacker in a host might want to slave a device inside (like a gun turret) to his own cyberdeck; if slaving does NOT require ownership, it seems like the hacker might be able to accomplish that, taking an asset away from the host, at least short term.
The Aztechnology ziggurat is imposing in only the way corporate architecture mixed with a an ancient culture renown for its human sacrifice could be. Its hard to really determine which is more chilling, though... the ancient bloody past or modern soulless technology.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <07-31-13/1646:35> »
well... the owner of the master device does not have to be the owner of the slaved device.
in English. The decker protection your smartgun does not need to be the owner (4 marks) of your smartgun.

Book is not really clear what slaving is (so it is indeed a good question)

My guess is that your decker invite your smartgun to take a mark on his cyberdeck.
That your decker create a user account on his deck for your smartgun to use.
This way your smartgun can "log on" to his cyberdeck and we have a master-slave coupling (or server-client if you like).

The owner of the smartgun (the street samurai that own the smartgun) must log on to his cyberdeck though.
I don't think you can steal a random smartgun and slave it to your cyberdeck before you taken over the ownership
(or a gun turret that someone you don't know own).

Probably also because of this coupling an hostile hacker will get a mark on both the smartgun as well as the master device if he hack the smartgun.

did that make any sense at all? :D
« Last Edit: <07-31-13/1654:25> by Xenon »

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <07-31-13/1710:55> »
p.233 implies that you don't have to own a device that is being slaved to you (i.e. the group's Sam slaving his smartgun to your Deck):
if you fail a Sleaze action against a slaved device, only the device’s owner gets the mark on you, not the master too. There

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <07-31-13/1716:16> »
p.233 implies that you don't have to own a device that is being slaved to you (i.e. the group's Sam slaving his smartgun to your Deck):
if you fail a Sleaze action against a slaved device, only the device’s owner gets the mark on you, not the master too. There
Right. But the owner of the smartgun (the street samurai) must be your friend.
"he" must willingly slave his device to "your" cyberdeck.
(The street samurai must log on with his smartgun on the deckers cyberdeck).

the decker grant a mark on his cyberdeck to the owner of the smartgun.
the owner of the smartgun use that mark to log on his smartgun to the cyberdeck
(slave his smartgun to the cyberdeck).

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <07-31-13/1724:30> »
Yeah, looks logical to me :)

rumanchu

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <08-01-13/0121:37> »
What exactly counts as a "benefit of a Rating 1 control rig" for the purposes of the Mind over Machine echo?  Is it *everything* listed in the Control Rig description on p.452, or just the mechanical bonuses?

Aaron

« Reply #36 on: <08-01-13/0932:30> »
What exactly counts as a "benefit of a Rating 1 control rig" for the purposes of the Mind over Machine echo?  Is it *everything* listed in the Control Rig description on p.452, or just the mechanical bonuses?
Everything but the data cable, I imagine.

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <08-04-13/2233:37> »
Does the adept power Combat Sense (p. 309) (and the spell of the same name, page 286) give its defense bonus in Astral Combat?

Thanks
« Last Edit: <08-04-13/2323:29> by thinklibertarian »

ChaosPhoenix

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <08-05-13/0239:39> »
Spirits and melee damage:
Just a clarification. A spirit without a natural weapon deals stun melee damage, right? E.g. a Spirit of Beasts deals strength (F+2) S damage. When using it's Natural Weapon power, he deals physical damage, but only Force P damage. Is that correct?

artent

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <08-05-13/2209:41> »
Can a Comlink run basic cyber-programs?   If so how many can it run at a time?   Its device rating?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <08-05-13/2312:38> »
Can a Comlink run basic cyber-programs?   If so how many can it run at a time?   Its device rating?

No, it cannot.  Only cyberdecks can run cyberprograms.  Commlinks have a Firewall and Data Processing rating equal to their device rating, but that's it.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <08-05-13/2316:17> »
1. When a decker rolls Hide, does he roll vs. every IC present or the host in general?  Do all of the IC present add to his Overwatch Rating with their defensive hits?
2. When a decker is running in silent, how often does the host check to see if it notices something is running silently?  Does Patrol IC (or some other form of IC) need to be present?
3. If a decker is discovered but not yet marked, do all IC know the decker's location?  What about IC brought out on subsequent rounds, assuming the initial wave of IC is destroyed before they arrive?

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <08-06-13/1506:32> »
On page 159, the initiative chart says base dice for astral initiative is 2D6.

On page 314, tha Astral Attributes table says Initiative Dice +2D6 (3D6 total).

Which is correct?

P.S. I did a search for "astral initiative" in the book and found:
Page 100, "For details see Astral Initiative (p. 229) or Matrix Initiative (p. 313)."  Both page references are wrong.
Page 101, The Final Calculations tablelists it as +2D6
Page 110, sample character "Silver" has +2D6
Page 115, street shaman archetype has +3D6
Page 116, combat Mage archetype does not list astral initiative at all (typo?)
Page 298, the watcher and the homunculus have +1D6 (I assume that is because they are rather weak)
Page 303 and 304, the spirits all have +3D6
Page 382, the wagemage lieutenant has +3D6

Thanks

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <08-06-13/1545:32> »
Reposting.

p. 445 "Sensors can be put into devices that have capacity."

Goggles have capacity, natch.

Here's the question: How good (or bad) of an ultrasound sensor can I actually place in my goggles?

Option 1: Rating 2, based off of the Sensor Housing table on page 446.  This table makes it look like you need a motorcycle for Rating (6) ultrasound, which is odd because you can fit that in your head if you're willing to pay Essence.

Option 2: Rating 8 (although not at CharGen, obviously), based off the capacity [1] cost for a single sensor on the Sensor table also on page 446.  I'm assuming that this is, in fact, the correct way of reading things, but what purpose does the Sensor Housing table serve then?

Option 3: Other?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <08-06-13/1945:59> »
Here's the question: How good (or bad) of an ultrasound sensor can I actually place in my goggles?

[The Sensor Housing] table makes it look like you need a motorcycle for Rating (6) ultrasound, which is odd because you can fit that in your head if you're willing to pay Essence.
If you want to buy an ultrasound sensor for under a grand, I think you're going to have to abide by that table and not go over the housing limit for whatever you're putting it in. I'm inclined to say that, seeing as the headware ultrasound sensor has a capacity rating, you could pay the rating * 12000 nuyen and use two capacity from your goggles. Page 221 suggests you can do something similar with commlinks and glasses.

If a pocket version isn't your style, commlinks are available in a number of other forms, including headwear, glasses, jewellery, cranial implant,belt buckles, and other accessories.