NEWS

[SR5] Quick question - Quick answer thread

• 347 Replies

lonewolf1210

• Newb
« on: <07-22-13/0704:46> »
This thread is intended for any short questions that have a short answer. So it should reduce the number of threads that are on here and not make it necessary to open a new thread for every simple question. Please keep lengthy discussions to a minimum.

IŽll start:

- Does a rigger need a Rigger Command Console to control his drones, or can he do most stuff also with a Commlink or Cyberdeck?
- If you shoot a gun mounted on a drone, do you recieve the boni from smartlink when you are rigging it?

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-22-13/0708:42> »
Ultrasound Sensor cyberware is available in ratings 1-6, but I can't find what the rating levels do.

Cabfire

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-22-13/0722:07> »
- Does a rigger need a Rigger Command Console to control his drones, or can he do most stuff also with a Commlink or Cyberdeck?

No he don't need it but there is many advantage to do it (p266)

Ultrasound Sensor cyberware is available in ratings 1-6, but I can't find what the rating levels do.

I assume it is for the Device rating and see if this nasty hacker will shutdown it easily or not.
« Last Edit: <07-22-13/0730:45> by Cabfire »

lonewolf1210

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-22-13/0820:45> »

The rating of a sensor is the limit for any perception test made with the sensor. Page 445

- Beside the different price and availability, is there any difference between the "Vulcan Liegelord" and the  "Proteus Poseidon" Rigger Command Consoles? (Page 267) The whole table looks like there are a couple of numbers that could use some corrections.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-22-13/1010:32> »
When doing a multiple attack with two different weapons (dual wield) that have different dicepools (i.e. pistols for one, automatics for the other), which dicepool do you split?

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <07-22-13/1049:47> »
Does Seize the Initiative allow someone to get extra actions per combat turn?

Based on the way it is written, if I totaled a 6 initiative and the top PC/NPC scored 33, I would get to act first in every initiative pass that the top initiative roller acts.

Cabfire

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-13/1111:02> »
Seize the initiative need a bit of clarification maybe, cause i really don't see any reasons to use "Blitz"

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <07-22-13/1427:00> »
Can you give an example of an indirect combat touch spell being used (both direct and indirect please)? If you have to make the unarmed attack as part of the spell casting, can you try to do damage with the attack in addition to the spell?

Lobo

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <07-22-13/1638:14> »
@snoMM1s - you are reading it wrong - seize the Initiative lets you go first in an initiative pass that you can act in.  It doesn't increase your initiative.

"Move to the top of the initiative order, regardless of your Initiative Score. If multiple characters spend Edge to go first in the same Combat Turn, those characters go before
everybody else, in order of their Initiative Scores; subsequently, the other players and NPCs take their actions according to their Initiative Scores. This move to the top of the order lasts for the entire
Combat Turn (meaning multiple Initiative Passes); you return to your normal place in Initiative order at the start of the following Combat Turn."

In your example, if I have a 11 initiative, and my opponent had a 23, then normally:

Initiative Pass (IP) 1:
Him 23
Me 11

IP 2
Him 13
Me 1

IP 3
Him 3
I don't get to go

If I seize the Initiative, then it becomes:

IP 1
Me 11
Him 23

IP 2
Me 1
Him 13

IP 3
Him 3
I don't get to go.

Now, if I Blitz, I roll 5d6 in Initiative, meaning I have a higher initiative score, which does two things - it means that I will have more actions, and it means that my score will be higher so I am more likely to go first anyways. 

Seize the initiative is useful when you HAVE to go first.  Blitz is useful when you HAVE to be able to do multiple actions.

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <07-22-13/1734:50> »
I get that, but from the sample combat in the book, it appeared that being part of the initiative pass was intrinsically linked to taking an action. Once your INIT goes down to 0 or less you are removed from the initiative pass per the rules. However, Seize says you go to the top of the initiative pass regardless of your INIT (assuming if you have 0 or lower init you are added back into the initiative pass). In discussing with some of my group I think we decided that the Seize the Init player still gets to act before anyone else - but they can only take free actions like running or dropping prone (still very useful).

Lobo

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-23-13/0011:53> »
@snOmm1s

Yes, you do get the free action - perhaps "do nothing" is a bit exaggerated - but my example still holds true, if you simply sub "Free Action" everywhere that I had "do nothing".

In other words, without seizing the initiative, if I roll a 6 and my opponent rolls a 33 then:

IP 1
He gets 2 simple or 1 complex action and 1 free action at 33
I get 2 simple or 1 complex action and 1 free action at 6

IP 2
He gets 2 simple or 1 complex action and 1 free action at 23
I get 1 Free Action

IP 3
He gets 2 simple or 1 complex action and 1 free action at 13
I get 1 Free Action

IP 4
He gets 2 simple or 1 complex action and 1 free action at 3
I get 1 Free Action

If I seize the initiative, I do not get any more free actions, it just means I get to take them before he does.  Since most of what I'm going to need to do as a free action is to dodge - I don't really need to do them first.

Blitz, on the other hand, allowing you to roll 5d6 is going to get you probably 3 IPs where you have complex/simple actions.

Panzergeist

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <07-23-13/0137:17> »
Are vehicle tests always made with reaction, even if the driver is rigging or controlling remotely through the matrix? 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-23-13/0254:16> »
Reaction is the most important attribute for a rigger.

ChaosPhoenix

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-23-13/0529:27> »
If a decker (or anyone with enough talent) can spot any non-hidden wireless device in 100m, does it enable them to track enemy movements in buildings with absolute precision?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <07-23-13/0647:48> »
Once your INIT goes down to 0 or less you are removed from the initiative pass per the rules.
You aren't removed from it. You simply do not get to go again. Page 159-160. "Characters with an Initiative Score higher than 0 get to go again during a second Initiative
Pass. [...] A character with an Initiative Score of 0 or less can only take one Free Action during an Initiative Pass."
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!