NEWS

Shadowrun-esque Anime and Movies?

• 92 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #75 on: <10-26-11/0504:20> »
How did this thread go on for so long without a mention of Equilibrium? I haven't met a signal person that has NOT tried to make a gunslinger adept based on the Grammaton Cleric.

Wow - I never knew this movie existed until now. Must see this!

Definetly
And get Yourself an Uncut Version !

with an uncut Dan
Medicinema

Mmmmm - Uncut...

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #76 on: <11-18-11/1005:14> »
How did this thread go on for so long without a mention of Equilibrium? I haven't met a signal person that has NOT tried to make a gunslinger adept based on the Grammaton Cleric.

Wow - I never knew this movie existed until now. Must see this!

Definetly
And get Yourself an Uncut Version !

with an uncut Dan
Medicinema

Mmmmm - Uncut...

Ugh, the 'Priest' character build. I didn't even know about that movie until I began an SR4 campaign and one of the PCs blurted out that he wanted to make such a character. He's thus far been rather disappointed due to the availability of Wired Reflexes.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #77 on: <11-18-11/1254:43> »
Ugh, the 'Priest' character build. I didn't even know about that movie until I began an SR4 campaign and one of the PCs blurted out that he wanted to make such a character. He's thus far been rather disappointed due to the availability of Wired Reflexes.
Adept.  Have a nice day.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #78 on: <11-18-11/1514:50> »
As far as anime/Manga and movies to give people the feel of shadowrun, here's my list (some may have been already mentioned). Note, these aren't all direct lead-ins to Shadowrun, but they do display some of the mindset of people/corps, or give a good analogy for certain aspects of the Sixth World (like the Matrix).

Ghost in the Shell (including Stand Alone Complex)
Black Lagoon
Blade Runner
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Oceans' Eleven
Sneakers
Gone in Sixty Seconds
The Maltese Falcon
Road to Perdition
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #79 on: <11-18-11/1652:52> »
Sneakers is still the only Hacker movie I can watch without venting my spleen with, "Oh dear $Deity, that is *NOT* how computer systems work!!!"

OK, and Die Hard 4.0, but that's only because it's a Die Hard movie and has no basis in reality whatsoever and is not ashamed of it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #80 on: <11-19-11/0904:31> »
Sneakers is still the only Hacker movie I can watch without venting my spleen with, "Oh dear $Deity, that is *NOT* how computer systems work!!!"

OK, and Die Hard 4.0, but that's only because it's a Die Hard movie and has no basis in reality whatsoever and is not ashamed of it.
That would be either the greatest or worst double-feature ever.-

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <11-19-11/0931:01> »
That would be either the greatest or worst double-feature ever.-

I know what I'm watching after today's SR4 game!
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #82 on: <11-19-11/1212:32> »
I'd make it a triple-feature with Rocky Horror.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <11-20-11/1056:19> »
I'd make it a triple-feature with Rocky Horror.

I don't own that movie, mainly because it's overrated crap. The only thing positive I can say about it is the movie has a great soundtrack, which I do own.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #84 on: <11-20-11/1143:46> »
Heathen!

Is it 'quality cinema'? Of course not. But there's few better sources of 'let your hair down and go crazy with friends'. Gotta love going to a convention where a group is doing the shadowcast, and sitting with the people who start doing the audience responses.

My Characters

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <11-20-11/1306:23> »
Heathen!

Is it 'quality cinema'? Of course not. But there's few better sources of 'let your hair down and go crazy with friends'. Gotta love going to a convention where a group is doing the shadowcast, and sitting with the people who start doing the audience responses.
I tend to agree with PeterSmith, though I must tread carefully as SWMBO likes it.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #86 on: <11-21-11/0939:18> »
Gotta love going to a convention where a group is doing the shadowcast, and sitting with the people who start doing the audience responses.

That's one of my biggest issues, actually. Everybody feels they have to have a part in the movie/performance. That's the fastest way to ruin a movie for me.
Power corrupts.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #87 on: <11-21-11/1429:45> »
When you go to see Rocky Horror, you're not going to see a movie. You're going for the total experience. Likewise, if you go into Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla expecting hard-hitting social commentary or anything except two people in rubber suits laying waste to Tokyo for the fiftieth time, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

My Characters

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #88 on: <11-21-11/1602:41> »
When you go to see Rocky Horror, you're not going to see a movie. You're going for the total experience.

Wrong. When *I* go to see a movie, *I* go to watch a movie. The extra crap that goes on around me is just that: crap. That it's so pervasive means I cannot watch the movie without being disturbed by that which is going on around me, short of watching it at home. Since my home theater setup is apartment-grade, it means if I want to watch a big screen I have to head to a theater.

Likewise, if you go into Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla expecting hard-hitting social commentary or anything except two people in rubber suits laying waste to Tokyo for the fiftieth time, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd expect laughter, gasps, or other excited utterances. I would not expect to have audience participation, nor would I want it.
Power corrupts.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #89 on: <11-21-11/1646:22> »
When you go to see Rocky Horror, you're not going to see a movie. You're going for the total experience.

Wrong. When *I* go to see a movie, *I* go to watch a movie. The extra crap that goes on around me is just that: crap. That it's so pervasive means I cannot watch the movie without being disturbed by that which is going on around me, short of watching it at home. Since my home theater setup is apartment-grade, it means if I want to watch a big screen I have to head to a theater.

Likewise, if you go into Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla expecting hard-hitting social commentary or anything except two people in rubber suits laying waste to Tokyo for the fiftieth time, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd expect laughter, gasps, or other excited utterances. I would not expect to have audience participation, nor would I want it.
Ah, but there are some that do. I don't always want participation, but if it's a movie where that's part of the experience, that's why I'll be going.

Then there's the times when my friends and I find ourselves in a movie so horrible that Joel, Mike and the 'Bots possess our bodies and we do the entertaining.