NEWS

Tangled Currents - Lizzie

• 784 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #750 on: <04-15-17/1530:30> »
Thursday 13 June 2075 1015 You have No Idea Where

As the coin hits the ground on the other side of the pit the air around where it fell begins to shimmer and an oval-shaped portal opens.  The far side of the portal is dead black.

"This is a one time use one-way portal.  You can focus on any place you have seen or been to and the portal will open there, allowing you to travel there instantly.  I would be careful with it, though, as it only has one use.  If you do not want to use it now, just pick the coin up.  It was intended as a reward for having got this far."

The vines do indeed support your weight and you cross the gap in the ground and find yourself on the far side of the pit, standing near the portal. 
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #751 on: <04-16-17/1404:14> »
Once on the other side I pick up the coin and continue into the cave. light held out in front of me, watching for any dangers along the path.
Speech  Matrix  Sub-vocal  Thoughts

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #752 on: <04-16-17/1920:32> »

The light allows you to walk through the cave with much greater ease and confidence.  Still, all good things come to an end and you get a tingle inside you that you at first do not understand, but it does happen at just the time that the light begins to sputter out.  Coincidence?

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #753 on: <04-16-17/2018:34> »
I focus on forming the pinhole tear I saw before.  My breath strains small beads of sweat form on my brow as I concentrate on this new task.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #754 on: <04-16-17/2321:03> »

The effort to force the tear then the pain to go through it is just as you remembered, perhaps even a bit more painful, as the first time you did it.  You find yourself in a very familiar place.  There are enough minor differences in the terrain that you know that you are not in the exact same place, but you are definitely on the same plane, surrounded by the falling drops of power.  Sian is sitting in a cross-legged position, waiting for you. "Well done, Isla.  I had hoped that you would try this on your own.  Tell me what you intend to do here."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #755 on: <04-16-17/2335:22> »
I...intend to recreate my light...and maybe... some clothes for a... bit,  I say panting from the exertion and pain.  This is turning out to be quite the workout... I can probably skip the gym today.  I beam over at Sian, clearly I'm just getting started.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #756 on: <04-17-17/0916:46> »

"Very good.  I will just watch this time, but I will step in if I think that you are trying to take too much power.  After all, the idea is to teach you, not watch you die horribly."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #757 on: <04-17-17/1105:11> »
shirak, I say watching the droplets slow to a crawl.  I find a drop a little larger than the one I used last but not much larger and grasp it in my hand.  I focus on the power and whisper for it to form into the heatless sun from the last time.  Once accomplished I gather another and use the power to weave into being a simple skirt t-shirt and light jacket.  I look to Sian for approval before willing myself to return and continue my journey.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #758 on: <04-18-17/0947:55> »

Sian smiles. "Very good, Isla.  Now, next time, I would like you to try to extend the spell rather than replace it.  You can use power to extend the duration of your spell.  The benefits to doing this is that it takes less power to extend than it does to start over.  You can also use power to make minor changes, such as in the colors or style of the clothes you just made.  Always remember that using less power is good, especially at your experience level.  Too much association with the power can easily lead to a dependence on it, which can lead to an addiction."

After painfully returning to the path you are able to use your light to navigate through the rest of the tunnel, finally emerging once again into the light of day, although it does seem to be getting darker.  Shortly after leaving the cavern, you come to a slightly wider spot in the path and Sian motions to you.  "Not all paths are meant to end in a single day, Isla.  We should consider finding a place to rest for the coming night.  WOuld this be satisfactory or would you like to push on a bit longer?"

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #759 on: <04-18-17/2052:56> »
I didn't get much notice before it ended.  I'll try to keep an eye on that.  I ponder a moment, No, I think I'm fine.  Have to get used to being fatigued from this stuff.  Let's press on for a bit longer.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #760 on: <04-19-17/0102:55> »

Sian nods. "Yes, you need to be alert for the small signs.  It should feel somewhat like a tiny tickle at first and it will grow stronger over a short period of time until it is something quite noticeable.  But at that point, you have mere moments of spell power remaining.  Paying attention will allow you to know when a spell is nearing its end and so allow you to strengthen or extend it if you desire to.  You are missing a question, but I hope it comes to you in time."

She smiles at you when you decide to keep going.  "Pushing the limits?  That can be good or bad and only time will really tell.  Very well, let us proceed onward."

The cavern continues on, twisting and turning so that it is hard to tell what direction you might be heading.  The light certainly helps you avoid the rocks that jut out of the ground and would be trip hazards if you could not see them.  Likewise you are able to avoid the occasional rock slicing down out of the ceiling that might have left a large cut or bruise.  After a while of walking, you feel a very slight tingle inside you.

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #761 on: <04-19-17/2157:38> »
I consider the length of time that the light was active.  Can I just periodically just feed it power?  Can I just keep shoving power into the light to make it last longer and longer or will it explode or something?

I wouldn't call it pushing my limits.  I think I'm far from my limits.  It's just a little fatigue is all.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #762 on: <04-19-17/2333:01> »

Sian nods.  "Yes, you can add additional power to the spell to keep it going.  The clothes as well.  For the clothes, you can even make changes to them when you add power to maintain it longer.  The type and scale of changes will depend on what you want to do.  Please note that you are limited in how much power you can have active at a time, based on your experience in controlling it.  You will have to find your limit on your own as it is not exactly the same for each person.  But you must remember that turning power off before it is completely used can hurt you, so be careful if you decide to just try to cancel a spell that is in place."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #763 on: <04-20-17/0953:22> »
Okay I'll try that in a bit.  Let's get moving, I say heading further into the cave.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #764 on: <04-21-17/0932:24> »

The cave just seems to go on for miles.  You find that the light is extremely helpful.  You begin to hear a faint sound, almost like music, echoing through the cave, getting louder as you advance.