NEWS

Narco Geneware

• 43 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <04-23-19/0956:25> »
And like I said, it's also easily possible that they wrote it this way for readability and did not think about the impact it'd have on a future supplement. Is there any place that says 10 minutes x 1d6?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <04-23-19/1005:07> »
Besides, if the interval were the same thing as duration, you wouldn't have an interval.
What does this even mean? Do you think that because the duration of a drug could be 10 minutes, the interval can't possibly be 10 minutes?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-23-19/1008:09> »
And like I said, it's also easily possible that they wrote it this way for readability and did not think about the impact it'd have on a future supplement. Is there any place that says 10 minutes x 1d6?

I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't lean that way.  Again going through the rules I have in digital format, interval is by default a single increment of time, ranging from as low as combat turn to as high as a month. When the interval is something other than 1 of those increments, it's always annotated as an arabic numeral immediately before the increment.  I can't find an instance of it ever being annotated with a variable after the interval either.

Besides, if the interval were the same thing as duration, you wouldn't have an interval.
What does this even mean? Do you think that because the duration of a drug could be 10 minutes, the interval can't possibly be 10 minutes?

No, but I do think that 10 x 1D6 can't be the interval because that's the duration.  See above, and my posts prior, for why I don't think the interval for "10 x 1D6 minutes" can be 10 minutes, either.
« Last Edit: <04-23-19/1011:54> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <04-23-19/1013:56> »
Again, your interpretation still falls apart when you apply any unit conversion. And if your interpretation of the rules don't stand up to the most basic and straightforward forms of math, well......

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-23-19/1017:04> »
I get that you don't like it.

But I didn't write the rules, and I didn't establish where interval comes in the annotation. 

If you're right, you'll be able to find a citation somewhere that shows a variable coming after interval.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <04-23-19/1050:09> »
Ah, yes. The good old "the proof is something that I know doesn't exist" trick. I invite you to find any other circumstances where an interval is modified by a variable.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <04-23-19/1053:25> »
Ah, yes. The good old "the proof is something that I know doesn't exist" trick. I invite you to find any other circumstances where an interval is modified by a variable.

Well, it's not like I can prove a negative.  You're the one arguing the affirmative.  Onus is on you.  That's how debate works.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <04-23-19/1119:50> »
@SSDR
Very well put.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <04-23-19/1123:02> »
So hey let's argue about something else.

With regards to the duration being reduced, even if it's (X-Body) Hours and a high rating Nephritic Screen reduces it to zero, most (if not all, haven't checked) of those drugs still say "minimum 1 hour".  And Nephritic Screen doesn't say it overrides minimums.  So, it doesn't.

Fite me! :D

But seriously... yeah "lots of hours" going down to the minimum of 1 hour isn't super, but at least it doesn't render you unable to benefit from those drugs.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <04-23-19/1443:31> »
It increases the numeric benefit of a drug by 1.

For example, Jazz gives +1 Reaction, but with narco you get +2.  (doesn't work with bonus dice tho, so still only +2d6 to initiative)
*Looks at Kamikaze* Holy fuck O_O *Looks at Betameth* Holy crap.

Add in an Adrenaline pump and Double Elastin, and welcome to your Augmented Cap on multiple stats and fairly manageable crashes.

Off the top of my head: Reaction +3; Intuition +2, Str +3, Agility +2, Body +2, Willpower +2, then Adrenaline pump 1 or 2 depending on how feisty you're feeling.  Initiative dice, High Pain Threshold, and crazy physical limits.  Crash of 3S every few hours, 3S after the Kami, and then whatever hit you take from the Pump, which can be resisted and is lowered by the Double Elastin.  Good times.  Juicer-Burn-out-Adept.  Not so surprisingly a stupid effective character.   

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <04-23-19/1737:25> »
Also note that Narco gives a -2 to addiction tests for drugs you arent addicted to, but a +2 to tests on drugs you are addicted to. So there is case to take addictions to drugs as negative qualities at chargen for the free karma.

I prefer narco with psych/cram. Lots of hours of excellent bonuses (length of effect measured in hours and not minutes) and both are only psychologically addictive and relatively cheap (compared to ware costs). lots of characters, even combat ones, can work super well with +2 to logic, intuition, reaction, and +1d6 to initiative.

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <04-24-19/0029:33> »
It increases the numeric benefit of a drug by 1.

For example, Jazz gives +1 Reaction, but with narco you get +2.  (doesn't work with bonus dice tho, so still only +2d6 to initiative)
*Looks at Kamikaze* Holy fuck O_O *Looks at Betameth* Holy crap.

Add in an Adrenaline pump and Double Elastin, and welcome to your Augmented Cap on multiple stats and fairly manageable crashes.

Off the top of my head: Reaction +3; Intuition +2, Str +3, Agility +2, Body +2, Willpower +2, then Adrenaline pump 1 or 2 depending on how feisty you're feeling.  Initiative dice, High Pain Threshold, and crazy physical limits.  Crash of 3S every few hours, 3S after the Kami, and then whatever hit you take from the Pump, which can be resisted and is lowered by the Double Elastin.  Good times.  Juicer-Burn-out-Adept.  Not so surprisingly a stupid effective character.
In 4e, there was something shifted 1P to 1S or reduced stun damage by 1 (platelet factory?). Is there anything that does something similar in 5e?

Do you think it is worth boosting your healing dice for the stun recovery?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <04-25-19/0956:57> »

In 4e, there was something shifted 1P to 1S or reduced stun damage by 1 (platelet factory?). Is there anything that does something similar in 5e?

Double Elastin out of Chrome Flesh reduces Stun damage of 2 or more boxes by 1 box. 

Quick Healer positive quality gives you a few more recovery dice for cheap.  First Aid should also work just fine on Crash damage.

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <04-25-19/2025:08> »

Double Elastin out of Chrome Flesh reduces Stun damage of 2 or more boxes by 1 box. 

Quick Healer positive quality gives you a few more recovery dice for cheap.  First Aid should also work just fine on Crash damage.
Thank you!