NEWS

Mapping and Virtual Table Tops

• 10 Replies

calicojack73

• Newb
« on: <11-14-12/1307:39> »
I currently play D&D with a group via http://roll20.net/ but in the new year I'll begin running a Shadowrun game for them.

The vast majority of mapping tools for RPGs obviously are geared towards fantasy roleplaying.  I need something that will work for Shadowrun.  Have any of you found a product with map tools to allow you to draw a cyberpunk style of street map?  Campaign Cartographer appears to have a Sci-Fi pack but the examples they provide appear to be too futuristic.

Ympulse

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-14-12/1333:20> »
Honestly, making your own maps freehand is the best solution for SR maps that I've found. Make a freehand map and then loading it into Roll20's system, and then adjust scales as needed.

It's worked for me, but YMMV

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <11-14-12/1512:24> »
Saw a GM in a PbP here who drew maps of combat situations with Google Sketchup and while not "realistic looking", it did a good job of relaying the tactical situation to the players.

To make maps, have a look at the free Autodesk Homestyler or Icovia Room Planner, too. They're originally meant for rooms/buildings, but Icovia's has outside terrain options too, or you could fake it by making grass with huge green carpets or such. You can then import the image in Roll20 to use as map.

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-14-12/1702:42> »
I made of ton of modern floorplans a while ago by important the props and textures from Left 4 Dead into a 3D editing program. It was a lot of work but I think the results speak for themselves.

These floorplans are still available for those that own Left 4 Dead 1 or 2, just add me on steam (chernoskill) and I'll send you the link.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-12/1801:57> »
Saw you post this on another forum, but don't have L4D, so :(

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-14-12/1809:01> »
Awww come on, it's only like 9.99 USD for both games when a sale is on! :D

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-12/1902:51> »
Does it have to be a grid?

Depending on the scale you need, making a pdf straight from google maps could be a decent shortcut. You'd just have to find a suitable IRL area to gank into your game. The MapMaker function might actually be able to do some useful stuff for you.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-15-12/1037:58> »
Campaign Cartographer has a Modern symbols pack that might do the trick...

You can also buy lots of floorplans off DTRPG.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

calicojack73

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-15-12/1129:40> »
You just gave me a reason to buy L4D.  :)

I am calico_jack73 on STEAM

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <11-15-12/1602:56> »
Congrats, just add me on steam (chernoskill) when you got the game :)

OFTHEHILLPEOPLE

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-15-12/1647:59> »
I didn't run with that many maps my last game on Roll20.  I had my players roleplay out the battle so largely Roll20's interface and gridded map were hardly used. 
Looking for a game (local or online) --Austin, Texas--