NEWS

An accidental absolute victory

• 0 Replies

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« on: <04-07-18/0928:40> »
So in a previous Mage: The Awakening campaign I did a story arc about one of the characters on trial, and it went over really well, and I enjoyed it a lot, I would say it was one of my best moments as a GM. I decided to give the whole trial thing another go. The most important plot wise Johnson gave then a run in which they need to defend the most guilty man in the world, prove him innocent, then on the steps of the court house betray him in front of God and men remove his still beating heart, place it in a special box, and deliver it to her. I'm not going into more detail about why in case any of my players see this, I just want to give context.

The prosecution is sponsored by the head of a AA corp, who the accused wronged, by horribly, horribly, and remorselessly killing his family. This guy for whatever reason wants to see him found guilty by law and executed by the law. Now the PC's invoked a special law which involves the prosecution choosing three jurors, the defense does the same, and six are chosen at "random", in specific categories. Pretty much every random juror has some history with the PCs. They really like the whole thing, especially since the law specifies that is a juror dies or cannot otherwise give his vote the trial continues, and he/she is considered to abstain, because reasons. They are having a ton of fun with this (as well as the 350,000 operating funds they were given and are thoroughly blowing through). However this, none of this is the highlight of the run.

You see the Prosecution hired a group of 5 shadowrunners for this, 3 of which are jurors. One of these runners, not a juror, is named GoFast, a rigger, a legend (now), and they have never even met the guy. However they simply cannot stop talking about GoFast, and how he goes Fast (it's what he does). They even discuss involving him in their plans (he's on the other side). And how they are going to bring him in future runs, for reasons. The amount of laughter at the table just discussing this character they have never met is fantastic.

There are many humorous NPC's in my campaign, but it seems I've out done myself, and I've set the bar too high to ever exceed again, the bar being GoFast. The only interaction they have had is they have seen GoFast casually driving away from the courthouse like a maniac, for no reason other than that's what he does. We have decided that if they ever actually meet the man and the legend it will break the magic.

I never imagined one character NAME, to be the highlight of a run. Has anything like this happened to anyone else, some innocuous part of something you made suddenly utterly winning over your players?