NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <05-20-13/1849:34> »
Not quite, Wyrm. All those things you described (Psychotropic IC, possession, and inhabitation) are all instant effects. They don't allow the person to switch back and forth like what we're seeing. It may be closer to PAB technology, but as it is (apparently) categorized as a virus, I'm looking more at Dissonant technomancer/sprite powers.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <05-20-13/1902:17> »
Don't forget the clues from that corp helping out those afflicted by the toxins of the Tsimshian Protectorate.

[spoiler]Also, what did that alternate personality tell FJ to do? Get a genewipe and nanohive from that aforementioned corp.Why? Speculation is that the genewipe cleans up the body/makes the neural cortices more malleable so as to alter as these mysterious beings wish, and the nanohive accelerates the process. It's like the Haunting Virus in Eclipse Phase[/spoiler]

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #17 on: <05-20-13/1917:28> »
I think the virus came from Mars and was sent back to Earth in one of Evo's drone convoys. The cause is something they found there, I believe Dr. Juliette Sanderson was patient zero and K445-G20-Echo whatever it is would be the cause. It's detailed in Hazard Pay in the space chapter, you can find Dr. Sanderson in the fiction.

Or I'm completely wrong.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-20-13/1931:29> »
I'd really like it to be something to do with Dissonant Technomancers and/or Entropic Sprites, simply because I'd like to seem them become a more substantive threat in-setting.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #19 on: <05-20-13/1937:25> »
It would be funny as hell if we found out if it was something Plan 9 did all along. He meant to unleash it against Snopes but lost control.
la vida no vale nada

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <05-20-13/2013:07> »
It would be funny as hell if we found out if it was something Plan 9 did all along. He meant to unleash it against Snopes but lost control.
That's exactly what they want you to think!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #21 on: <05-20-13/2302:44> »
So what, Plan 9 goofed and killed other jackpointers?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #22 on: <05-20-13/2333:04> »
Infected a few including him/herself.
la vida no vale nada

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #23 on: <05-20-13/2353:00> »
Not quite, Wyrm. All those things you described (Psychotropic IC, possession, and inhabitation) are all instant effects. They don't allow the person to switch back and forth like what we're seeing. It may be closer to PAB technology, but as it is (apparently) categorized as a virus, I'm looking more at Dissonant technomancer/sprite powers.

... I guess you aren't familiar with Judas Psychotropic, are you?

Sorry, Mirikon, but you're arguing from a Linear A perspective, where X must follow Y, and therefore Z.  You aren't acknowledging any possibility of steps in the middle - things we simply haven't seen, and never will, because they are assumed to have happened.  We didn't progress immediately from PersonaFix Chips to Psychotropic IC - but all those middle steps are in the In-Character data path.

You also aren't paying attention to the parallels to the several different kinds of spirit bonds ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

cynicforever

• Newb
  • I like cheese
« Reply #24 on: <05-21-13/1040:53> »
uh, Hi
If I can make a guess? In a nutshell, some electronic entities(A.I.'s and/or E-ghosts) are using nanites to "hack" people.

Almost everyone mentioned in that part of stormfront has had some kind of treatment involving nanite machines in the past or present. Maybe the entities learned how to use nanites to reprogram the brain so they could control or even inhabit it.
Nothing really springs to mind.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #25 on: <05-21-13/1840:37> »
Honestly, that's probably close. It's just a question if all the people infected have nanites. Miles Lanier doesn't iirc.
la vida no vale nada

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #26 on: <05-21-13/1923:24> »
Honestly, that's probably close. It's just a question if all the people infected have nanites. Miles Lanier doesn't iirc.

I'm sure somewhere along the line Lanier got nanites... Maybe just a little hive to keep his arteries clean or whatnot.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <05-21-13/1923:47> »
The nanites don't look to be mandatory, but they could accelerate the neural architecture being revamped according to these invisible boogeymen's desires.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <05-21-13/2010:09> »

... I guess you aren't familiar with Judas Psychotropic, are you?

Sorry, Mirikon, but you're arguing from a Linear A perspective, where X must follow Y, and therefore Z.  You aren't acknowledging any possibility of steps in the middle - things we simply haven't seen, and never will, because they are assumed to have happened.  We didn't progress immediately from PersonaFix Chips to Psychotropic IC - but all those middle steps are in the In-Character data path.

You also aren't paying attention to the parallels to the several different kinds of spirit bonds ...

Do not presume that any of these hypotheses are exclusive or, of course, correct.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-21-13/2018:06> »
It's important to note that dissonomancers are able to transmit Dissonant diseases through their bioelectric field.  Meaning they simply need to get close to you.  If they've found a way to do that over a distance using the Earth's EM field...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites