NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #540 on: <05-04-15/1957:09> »
OOCly, is Mal stepping directly into Stake's roll, with or without the exact name? In other words, are we in the condo of Mal's character, or are we taking a different approach?

If Mal is swapping directly in, Achak would comm his character at this point. Do we have an ETA on the substitution?

Ok, so interesting thing here.  Mal has decided that he does want to play a cybered up street sam, face, but his overall concept is quite a departure from Stake.  We can re-cast or work him in ICly.  If we re-cast we'll need to handwave quite a bit, but if we work him in ICly, you guys will need to hit Grotto1 and get hooked up with a new team lead quickly.  He's still making the final char sheet, but I'm pretty sure Mal will be ready either way.  Thoughts? 

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #541 on: <05-04-15/2014:50> »
OOCly, is Mal stepping directly into Stake's roll, with or without the exact name? In other words, are we in the condo of Mal's character, or are we taking a different approach?

If Mal is swapping directly in, Achak would comm his character at this point. Do we have an ETA on the substitution?

Ok, so interesting thing here.  Mal has decided that he does want to play a cybered up street sam, face, but his overall concept is quite a departure from Stake.  We can re-cast or work him in ICly.  If we re-cast we'll need to handwave quite a bit, but if we work him in ICly, you guys will need to hit Grotto1 and get hooked up with a new team lead quickly.  He's still making the final char sheet, but I'm pretty sure Mal will be ready either way.  Thoughts?

Does he still use combat drugs?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #542 on: <05-04-15/2033:00> »
This is an interesting situation and it might depend on Mal's build. I was thinking we would substitute him in as "New Stake", even if the name and build were different, although the viability of this may depend on how different he actually is.

There's also the secondary implications of what happens if 8-bit returns with a plausible explanation about his absence. For Tabula Rasa it's easy because he can simply resume control of Chino. Here, if we have a New Stake that Mal is playing then matters get complicated. Alternatively, do we kill off Old Stake for dramatic tension and story development? That would certainly fit the game's theme of the hunters becoming the hunted, and it would remove the possibility of 8-bit returning. It's been almost 4 weeks now so I'm not feeling like we need to keep his dinner warm.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #543 on: <05-04-15/2038:41> »

Not sure to be honest.  Last draft I looked at didn't have NQs.

ETA: I'm not sure how to handle things should 8-bit return.  I feel that after 4 weeks I may let him back in the game, but I'm not going to make story decisions based on that remote possibility.

Let's back-burner this stuff for now, and make IC choices based on IC knowledge.  We can adjust things if needed.  So, that said, what's the plan now?
« Last Edit: <05-04-15/2042:24> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #544 on: <05-04-15/2140:55> »
Using the bug scanner. Wireless on so Achak can substitute the scanner's rating for his non-existent Electronic Warfare skill:

Logic 2 + Bug Scanner 6: 8d6t5 2 hits

Stealth tags, if any, get a Logic + Sleaze test to defend.

The idea is that Achak wants to find any bugs before the jammers go up. If so, he'll hit them with the tag eraser, recharging it as necessary.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #545 on: <05-05-15/0107:36> »
It'd probably fit his general outlook - he cybered up to get every available edge against a foe that is faster, stronger, Awakened, regenerates, and, as you get to older ones, craftier and better funded. As rnb mentioned, I haven't gotten to NQs yet (or most qualities, really). I've nailed down Priorities, Attributes, Skills, Cyber, and most gear. Next is Knowledge Skills and Contacts, then I'll get to qualities to round him out at the end while I'm fine tuning karma spend. I hope to have the time tomorrow to finish that up, and if you don't mind me jumping in without a fleshed out backstory, I can likely start by late tomorrow.

I'm doing the design in Chummer, but I'm updating this Docs Sheet as I go if you want to see where I'm at. The name is a placeholder as I was going down that path (plain talking but charming leader), but I'm actually leaning toward an older, more troubled character - throwing in a bit of Longmire, especially as he'll be from the PCC or a neighboring community - a white man living in a red man's world. So he'll be anglo, but have a lot of Native American sensibilities. He likes to believe he's not superstitious, but he's seen enough that he'll err on the side of caution. He's also a bit of a stubborn old coot.

As far as filling Stake's role, he'll have extensive knowledge of the Infected as he's been in the game a while (a la Stake), he's good at Intimidation, he's good at negotiation, and he's picked up some Con. Dice pools are higher on Knowledge and lower in Intimidation and Negotiation (14 vs 20!), but still good.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #546 on: <05-05-15/0140:40> »
Well Achak is a red man living in a white man's world, so I guess we'll have that yin-yang going.

Hmm, how are we going to work this in. I took Spanish because I figured Achak would have picked it up working with Stake. If Mal isn't playing New Stake then maybe I'll use the qi focus for Linguistics to learn whatever Not New Stake speaks instead.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #547 on: <05-05-15/1149:30> »
@Tec, however you want to handle the language skills is ok with me.  I'm sure Spanish will come in handy, but if you'd rather sub out for Lakota, or another Amerindian language, that's fine too. 

Here are some possibilities for Mal's char.  I'm also open to any suggestions.

1. Malcolm is re-cast "Stake."
2. Malcolm is a seasoned hunter found on Grotto1.
3. Malcolm is Mercer.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #548 on: <05-05-15/1307:00> »
ICly, Achak isn't likely to leave town or give up on Stake without a very compelling reason (e.g. Stake has already left, Stake is dead, etc.). Part of it is the shared history and the working relationship, but it's also due to the Dog mentor spirit, specifically the disadvantage that followers of Dog are stubbornly loyal and won't leave anyone behind.

With that in mind, #1 fits best for IC convenience for Achak. #2 and #3 would require some understanding that Stake is gone and not coming back.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #549 on: <05-05-15/1334:53> »
Or maybe just away on some personal business.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #550 on: <05-05-15/1344:37> »
Or maybe just away on some personal business.

Stake would not be one to leave his team high and dry, especially considering the circumstances. "Gone and not coming back," would seem to make the most IC sense.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #551 on: <05-05-15/1744:07> »
I'm keen on option 3 - Mercer. I like the military background, though I'll probably make it more Elite Law Enforcement a la Texas Rangers. The more sword than scalpel thing also fits my character concept - the whole vampire girl scene would have been much shorter if he'd been present:

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry"

*BOOM* Headshot!

<Scene end>

He's very much a shoot first, ask questions later sort of guy, at least once the claws come out. He's not big on chatting with Infected. Or most criminal scum, for that matter, though CIs are a necessary evil.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #552 on: <05-05-15/1758:25> »
3. Malcolm is Mercer.

I think unless we get a GOOD reason as to why Stake aint coming, the only thing that really even works is option 1.

Although, one other thing we could do...

What if we just say that whoever the hell Mal plays, THAT'S the dude Achak has been runnin round with all this time? That's the dude becca went on the run with last night, that's the dude who ordered ELI not to fire on the human security guards on the way out. Just sorta re-write him/her into the history, y'know?

Can we call that option 4?

3. Malcolm is Mercer.
4. Rewrite Malcolm into the story where Stake used to be. It's always been Malcolm.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #553 on: <05-05-15/1927:06> »
I'm not sure I'm grasping a difference between #1 and #4.

I'm happy swapping Malevolence in as Stake, and it wouldn't bother me if the backstory changed to accommodate Malcolm's bullets-first, questions-maybe approach. It would set up another stylistic counterpoint to Achak. Could be some good RP fodder there, although I suspect that Achak doesn't mind it when people draw attention to themselves, as it often allows him to sneak up from behind and do his thing.

If we go with Option #3 then the question is how do Achak and Rebecca find out ICly that Stake is out of the picture and out of reach. There's a second question of what happened to Mercer's team in DFW that he'd be looking for new blood, although I suppose it would fit with the story if he lost his team, either before or during his time underground. Then it was only seasoned, grizzled Mercer that emerged alive months later.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #554 on: <05-06-15/1145:13> »
If Mal is keen on Mercer, I think I have a way of working this to everyone's satisfaction, but it will largely rely on working two timelines very temporarily.

@Mal, are you ready to go?  If so, we can get your char in IC today.

@Poindexter, anything to add to Achak's plan? 

@Tecumseh and Poindexter, may I suggest OOC that you simply reboot your comms and get them online once you leave the apartment?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal