NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #285 on: <03-05-15/1623:42> »
Oo, ambushes! Achak was made for these! Sadly, Motion Sense is only effective to 6 meters, so I can't rely on that for a vampire shooting me from 15 meters away. What kind of pussy vampire uses a gun anyway...

Now, 17 dice... 2 hits... I can do this.
Intuition 6 + Perception 6 + Spec 2 + Enhancements 3: 17d6t5 5 hits

Subtracting the dice that don't apply, that's 4 hits for vision/hearing/smelling, so looks like I'm pinging on all the senses. Theoretically Danger Sense might have applied too, so I might RP it that way.

Hurray, now to Dodge.
Reaction 7 + Intuition 6 + Combat Sense 1: 14d6t5 6 hits

zomg a roll >33% hits alert the press
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1625:38> by Tecumseh »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #286 on: <03-05-15/1747:08> »
So, none of the yakuza seem to be affected by the darkness?

Depends.  The one with the machine pistols is firing pretty wild.  He's on point enough for me to require a Defense Test, but he had some substantive penalties.  The yak with the shotgun seems to be getting by ok, in that he hasn't run off the railings or anything, and the one with the SMG does not seem bothered at all.  Probably a safe assumption that the yak with the flashlight on his AK didn't have thermo, so good thing he went down.  Otherwise, his flashlight would've been a big help to the dual-wielding fella.

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2): 11d6t5 5 [5, 6, 6, 6, 2, 3, 4, 6, 1, 4, 1]

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2 - Previously Defended 1): 10d6t5 2 [3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4]

Edge to roll failures.

Rerolling Failures: 8d6t5 4 [3, 6, 6, 5, 2, 6, 1, 4]

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2 - Previously Defended 2): 9d6t5 2 [4, 4, 2, 5, 2, 1, 5, 2, 4]

Did you mean to not re-roll failures for the third Defense Test, or was that a mix-up with phone rolling?  I'm assuming the latter, but I will need a Soak Test regardless.

7P 0AP, firing basic ammo
Hit Accuracy limit +1 for using smartlink, so 8 hits.

What kind of pussy vampire uses a gun anyway...

The kind that can't get to Achak this pass  ;)

His shots miss.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #287 on: <03-05-15/1853:17> »
Edge reroll was for the second shot (and thus, the second test). The third shot probably went through.

And did I just see 8 hits there? Damn, this might hurt. That's 6 net hits.

However, with 6 net hits, that gets staged up to 13P damage. That's lower than my Armor of 16. So, it converts to 13S damage before soak. Now, let's see how much I soak.

Soaking 13S (Body 4 + Armor Jacket 12 + Ballistic Mask 2 + Aluminum Bone Lacing 4): 22d6t5 7 [5, 3, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 2, 5, 2, 4, 4, 3, 6, 5, 2, 6]

Well, that was completely average. That would have been a fantastic time for a 50% plus hits roll.

I take 6S damage. I'm now at a -1 modifier (3S doesn't count due to Damage Compensator bioware).

Edit: Marked the wounds and Edge usage on my sheet.

Double Edit: And to think if I had Edged the third shot it would have only been 2 net hits and I would have only taken 2S damage. Oh well, I made my decision; I have to live with it. Could have been worse though.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1906:45> by 8-bit »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #288 on: <03-05-15/2213:42> »
Ok, so achak has been hit, but aint bleeding, right? ambushed from his left flank? by an attacker, assumed vampire with a firearm?

Here's where movement gets weird. has becca been standing there on the stairs this whole time as achak hauled ass up past her? If so, does she have the move to reach him this turn? If so, does she have room to melee attack the vampire? I'm assuming the answer to at least one of these is no. Hook me up with what my options are, should I wish to engage this vampire, eh?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #289 on: <03-05-15/2219:07> »
I believe Achak has dodged the vampire's attack. The gun was probably noticeable (then again, there's a ton of shooting going on in the club, so I don't know). Can't help you on everything else though.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #290 on: <03-05-15/2234:48> »
Stake was shot, not Achak. I will defer to rednblack for the rest of the answers.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #291 on: <03-05-15/2240:40> »
Ok, so achak has been hit, but aint bleeding, right? ambushed from his left flank? by an attacker, assumed vampire with a firearm?

Here's where movement gets weird. has becca been standing there on the stairs this whole time as achak hauled ass up past her? If so, does she have the move to reach him this turn? If so, does she have room to melee attack the vampire? I'm assuming the answer to at least one of these is no. Hook me up with what my options are, should I wish to engage this vampire, eh?

The vampire missed Achak.

Becca is about 8 meters from the top of the stairs. The vampire is another 12 meters from the stairwell to Becca's left, not that she knows that.

She could hear the shots, and would probably assume it was someone shooting at Achak, but she doesn't have like if sight to know if Achak was hit.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #292 on: <03-06-15/1740:15> »
Ok, well if Achak was behind me and he made it in there, I figure so can I, unless he's just WAY faster than me.
Here's what I'd like to do: Charge up the stairs and into the room Achak went into, stow the nade launcher, (It's gecko gripped. Can I do that as a free action by just sticking it to myself? If that's not how gecko grip works and ive had this wrong the whole time, Would it be cool if I switch the gecko grip for a sling, cause I KNOW i can just drop a weapon as a free action, and this very act is the main reason I bought gecko grip in the first place.) and melee attack the vampire. Can I do all that?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #293 on: <03-07-15/1546:05> »
Ok, well if Achak was behind me and he made it in there, I figure so can I, unless he's just WAY faster than me.
Here's what I'd like to do: Charge up the stairs and into the room Achak went into, stow the nade launcher, (It's gecko gripped. Can I do that as a free action by just sticking it to myself? If that's not how gecko grip works and ive had this wrong the whole time, Would it be cool if I switch the gecko grip for a sling, cause I KNOW i can just drop a weapon as a free action, and this very act is the main reason I bought gecko grip in the first place.) and melee attack the vampire. Can I do all that?

Is "there" the hallway?  If so, yes.  Becca can just just within the hallway.  When she clears the stairwell, she'll see Achak to her right, having just come out of a roll in a crouched position.  Achak will be looking past Rebecca to her left, where a vampire is standing, as described IC about 12 meters to Becca's left.  To Achak's right, is the apartment with the busted door.  From Becca's angle, she can see the corner of the vampire's shirt still showing very faintly in thermo inside the room, but nothing else. 

Becca can gecko-grip herself as a free action.  I'm assuming the gecko tape is along the edge of the weapon, so it can just be slapped in place?

However, the vampire is still 12 m from Becca, so she would not be able to make a melee attack.  This vampire has not been hit with the sawdust, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------X--------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                         V2                                                                          A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    ------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                                                                     |    |
                                                                                                                                                                     |    |
                                                                                                                                                                     | B |

Not to stale, but this is about what you're looking at.  X is the doorway into the apartment where V1 fled.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #294 on: <03-08-15/1846:58> »
Ok, I feel like I have a much clearer picture of things now. Here's my actions then.
Move: up the stairs, coming to a stop just next to achcak.
simple: Fire sawdust grenade at V2.
simple: recklessly cast force 4 armor spell on self
free: wirelessly detonate the nade

fire a sawdust round at V2. (Agi 8 + Heavy 1 + spec 2 + smartlink 1 -2 astral): 10d6t5 2

Probably not a direct hit, but i probably still caught him in the blast radius, what with the mid air det and all.

Force 4 Armor spell (Mag 6 + casting 2): 8d6t5 0

Denied. Lets see about the drain.

Soak 5s drain (Will 7 + Cha 4): 11d6t5 5

Ok, so I at least got that goin for me. IC post coming soon.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #295 on: <03-08-15/2042:39> »
You're going to have to roll for scatter. It might bounce backwards and underneath/on top of you. It might also just go on course and bounce towards the Vampire.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #296 on: <03-08-15/2046:49> »
You're going to have to roll for scatter. It might bounce backwards and underneath/on top of you. It might also just go on course and bounce towards the Vampire.

what with the wireless detonation, there shouldnt be any bounce backwards or forwards at all.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #297 on: <03-08-15/2054:53> »

what with the wireless detonation, there shouldnt be any bounce backwards or forwards at all.

You know, I think you're right. I just quickly reread the scatter rules, and Wireless Link seems to indicate no scatter; just wait for it to get to where you want, then trigger. i guess I learned something new.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #298 on: <03-09-15/1212:48> »
My copy of SR5 says that Wireless Link reduces scatter, and also that in relation to Projectile Triggers
"All methods still utilize the scatter rules" pg. 182

What isn't explained, is by how much the Wireless Link reduces scatter.  Do your books say something different?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #299 on: <03-09-15/1446:25> »
The rules for grenades are woefully incomplete and I secretly dread when players want to use them.

Using RAW, any grenade attack which doesn't meet the threshold of 3 has scatter. To rednblack's question, the amount that scatter is reduced by wireless detonation isn't explicitly defined. An airburst link - a firearms accessory which is technically separate from the standard functionality which we are describing - says to reduce scatter by 2 meters per hit instead of 1 meter. Normally I just use these rules for all grenade launchers. It effectively eliminates the airburst link as an accessory by making it standard, but the alternative is to basically ignore the line under "Wireless Link" on page 182 that says "This method also reduces scatter," or for the GM to arbitrarily rule how much scatter is reduced.

Separately, this is Ryo's houserule:

Area of Effect attacks
Grenades and area spells can either be aimed at an area (Simple (3) test) or aimed at a specific target (attack roll vs. defense roll.) If you aim at the area, all the targets in the blast radius can (and probably will) use the Run for Your Life interrupt action to escape the blast. If you aim at a specific target, they cannot use this interrupt action; they get their defense roll instead.

I like this better than RAW, but it still has some gaps that can be gamed. For example, technically Run For Your Life can only be used by someone with 1) enough initiative and 2) some movement remaining. Say Achak has IP3 in a combat turn and nobody else does; that means he can fire grenades at an area knowing that people can't use Run For Your Life to avoid them. In my opinion, that would be gaming the turn-based system.

Alternatively, if you fire directly at someone and they roll defense, what exactly does their defense roll mean? That they move away from the blast? If so, by how far? Or does the grenade go sailing past them and miss completely, since they ducked/dodged? If so, but the shooter is using an wireless link to detonate, how far does the grenade travel before exploding? Do you just use scatter rules then, but with the possibility that the grenade will actually explode exactly where you want it, making the defense roll irrelevant? If you're firing directly at someone, does the person they are standing next to (who is going to get caught in the blast if the grenade hits) get a defense roll too? What does that roll mean? Is the result a can't-miss attack because nobody can roll enough hits to escape the effective blast radius (8-10m) of the grenade?

I think the lack of clarity in the rules, although with the inherently lethality of grenades, is why many GMs and players have a gentleman's agreement to avoid them. I'm not suggesting we do that here, since we all have grenade launchers, but it does mean that rednblack has to make some calls that won't be fully supported by the rules because the rules don't exist.