NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #270 on: <03-05-15/1244:38> »
For what it is worth, last night I rolled 8 hits on 9 dice, the odds of which are approximately the same as rolling 0 hits on 17 dice. Naturally, my limit was 5 so I had to toss several hits, but it was enough to get the job done. It was a day of outliers.

8-bit

« Reply #271 on: <03-05-15/1254:03> »
You know what? Now's probably not a bad time to pop the Kamikaze. He's got his mask with the autoinhaler in it, so what would this take, a Free Action?

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #272 on: <03-05-15/1309:09> »
You know what? Now's probably not a bad time to pop the Kamikaze. He's got his mask with the autoinhaler in it, so what would this take, a Free Action?

Yeah, let's say Free, if you have DNI capability.  Simple if not.  How many doses of Kamikaze does Stake have loaded in it?

ETA: I'm not married to the above, so if you think I may be missing something, let me know. 
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1312:40> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #273 on: <03-05-15/1313:35> »
One dose.

Since the speed is Immediate, it's effects don't start working until the next CT. I'll pop it now though.

CT 4; Action Pass 4; Acting on Initiative 18

Free Action - Pop Kamikaze
Simple Action - Switch Firing Mode (from BF to SA) [normally it's a Free Action for a smartlinked gun, but I figured you wouldn't mind downgrading a Simple Action]
Simple Action - Fire at one of the Armored Yakuza (can I pop out of cover to shoot and then go back in?)

Edit: That sounds fine to me. I have DNI, anyway.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #274 on: <03-05-15/1321:49> »
One dose.

Since the speed is Immediate, it's effects don't start working until the next CT. I'll pop it now though.

Simple Action - Switch Firing Mode (from BF to SA) [normally it's a Free Action for a smartlinked gun, but I figured you wouldn't mind downgrading a Simple Action]
Simple Action - Fire at one of the Armored Yakuza (can I pop out of cover to shoot and then go back in?)

Edit: That sounds fine to me. I have DNI, anyway.

In this case I'm fine with allowing 2 free actions, if you'd like to spend a Simple to Take Aim.

As for popping up and then down, I've been wondering about how to handle this mechanically for some time.  One option is to force a player to take a simple action after firing to Take Cover again.  That seems prohibitive to me.  What I think I'll do is allow it without requiring any additional actions, but if PCs or NPCs use Hold Action to fire when the target comes into view, they get their shots off before the acting character does.  That won't have any effect this pass, as the armored yaks are still taking aim, but I want us to all be on the same page mechanically-speaking.  Cool?

Armored yaks will be at medium range with good cover.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #275 on: <03-05-15/1332:44> »
Makes sense to me. I'm depending on the fact that they are disoriented from the lights going out (and hope they don't have thermographic vision).

I'll take you up on that offer for an extra Free Action to Take Aim.

Free Action - Switch Firing Mode (from BF to SA)
Simple Action - Take Aim (+1 die, +1 Accuracy)
Simple Action - Fire at one of the Armored Yakuza - then pop back into cover

I'll do all the rolls now.

First, Kamikaze duration (remember, doesn't come into effect yet).

Kamikaze Duration: 10*1d6 60 [6]

60 minutes duration. Well then, I think that's going to last pretty much the entire run. Now for the shot.

Single Fire with Ares Alpha (Agility 6 + Automatics 6 + Specialization 2 + Wireless Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 1): 17d6t5 9 [4, 5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 1, 4, 6, 3, 6, 2, 6, 2, 3, 6, 4]

Ahem. Damn. It's limited to 7, due to Accuracy.

DV is 11S + Net hits, AP -. The Knockdown effect is based on his Physical Limit - 2 (for Gel Round).

1 Gel Round used in Clip; 32 remaining.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #276 on: <03-05-15/1341:34> »
Firing from cover is one of the areas where turn-based games break down. I've had players who wanted to pop out, fire, then duck back down (or around the corner, or whatever) every IP, insisting that they were invulnerable to counterfire the whole time. Perhaps this is a legitimate interpretation of the rules, but then the bad guys do it too and then you just get an extended stand-off with nobody hitting anybody. I never really liked it though, since if it takes a Simple Action to take cover then it seems like it should be at least a Simple Action to pop-out and/or acquire a target, thus leaving no actions to actually shoot.

How I rule it (i.e. how it will be done in Tabula Rasa, and certainly not to override Rednblack's interpretation, which is perfectly reasonable) is that if you were firing from cover during an IP than the opposition can return fire during the same IP, regardless of your head-bobbing. You get the +2 or +4 defense for being in cover, but you were exposed for a second, so I think the guy who was just a fraction of a second behind you in the initiative order should have the opportunity to return fire, and vice versa. This blends the turn-based aspects of the rules with a real-time understanding, which still isn't perfect but at least it keeps things moving forward.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #277 on: <03-05-15/1343:24> »
Ok, who are you shooting at?  We have:

Armored yak 1: Furthest south, wearing an Armored Jacket, Ballistic Mask, carrying a shotgun with a drum.

AY 2: next furthest south, wearing an Armored Jacket, motorcycle helmet, carrying an AK-97 with flashlight.

AY 3: about straight across from Stake, wearing a Lined Coat, carrying a machine pistol in each hand (hard to tell exactly what kind at this distance).

AY 4: furthest north, wearing an Armored Jacket, Ballistic Mask, carrying an HK-227.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #278 on: <03-05-15/1346:43> »
Firing from cover is one of the areas where turn-based games break down. I've had players who wanted to pop out, fire, then duck back down (or around the corner, or whatever) every IP, insisting that they were invulnerable to counterfire the whole time. Perhaps this is a legitimate interpretation of the rules, but then the bad guys do it too and then you just get an extended stand-off with nobody hitting anybody. I never really liked it though, since if it takes a Simple Action to take cover then it seems like it should be at least a Simple Action to pop-out and/or acquire a target, thus leaving no actions to actually shoot.

How I rule it (i.e. how it will be done in Tabula Rasa, and certainly not to override Rednblack's interpretation, which is perfectly reasonable) is that if you were firing from cover during an IP than the opposition can return fire during the same IP, regardless of your head-bobbing. You get the +2 or +4 defense for being in cover, but you were exposed for a second, so I think the guy who was just a fraction of a second behind you in the initiative order should have the opportunity to return fire, and vice versa. This blends the turn-based aspects of the rules with a real-time understanding, which still isn't perfect but at least it keeps things moving forward.

Oh, I had no intentions of being "invulnerable". I just wanted the +2 dice for cover, otherwise, being mostly behind cover seems useless. Also to break Line of Sight, if possible, so that I can relocate constantly. Mostly for the extra defense dice though.

@rednblack

Armored Yakuza 2: I want that flashlight down if possible.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #279 on: <03-05-15/1347:24> »

I think I like this better.  Let's run with that.  Since each CT is about 3 seconds, and we're averaging 2 passes per char -- with Achak being the noticeable exception -- I can't see Stake popping up, acquiring a target and shooting taking less than 1.5 seconds.  Thanks, Tec.  Also, congrats on the dice gods smiling on you last night.  I hope it was for a roll that counted.

@8-bit, I think you'll get the +4; Stake doesn't need to pop up much at all.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #280 on: <03-05-15/1353:19> »
Stake pops him in the gap between his Armored Jacket and the motorcycle helmet.  His head snaps back, he drops his assault rifle, and sprawls backward.  I'll allow you to place that IC.

ETA:

CT 4 IP 1
Achak 23
Leliel 20
Stake 18

Vampire 1 17
Vampire 2 12
4 Armored Yakuza 12
Sister Rebecca 11
All Other Yakuza 10

Alright, looks like I'm up.  I've got an awful lot of rolling to do, but I hope to have something up later this afternoon.

Sister Rebecca is on deck.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1401:39> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #281 on: <03-05-15/1525:23> »
Just so ive got everything straight in my head, i hit the vampire, he screamed, ran out of my field of view and through a doorway, torn from its hinges. Achack raced passed me up the stairs and through the door, correct?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #282 on: <03-05-15/1526:01> »
AY 1: Sprint toward SE stairwell.  Covers 28 m ETA: this is for the CT, not the pass, so 14 m this pass, far enough to turn the corner heading south.

AY 2: down for the count

AY 3: Multiple Attack action.  3 round burst from each machine pistol.

AY 4: 3 round burst from SMG.

@8-bit, You have 3 attacks coming your way.  Take +4 for Good Cover on each.

1st attack, -2 modifier
2nd attack, -3 modifier
3rd attack, -4 modifier

From the way he's handling himself, Stake gets the impression that the guy with the SMG is a serious shooter, and OOC, I spent group edge to re-roll failures  ;D

@Tecumseh, I need a Perception Test for Achak.  Sight, sound, and smell Specializations will all work.  He's got a Zeke sneaking up on his flank from the left.  So long as you hit threshold 2 for sight or sound, threshold 4 for smell (mostly because of distance), you'll get a Defense Test.  Then, I'll need a Defense Test, if applicable.  He's about 15 m out. and firing a 3 round burst from a Heavy Pistol, so -2 modifier.

ETA: @Poindexter, that is correct.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1533:25> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #283 on: <03-05-15/1529:20> »
since she'll be going after the vampires, I'll wait till they go before i post actions.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #284 on: <03-05-15/1618:06> »
Doesn't Achak have motion sense? As a passive power, would that not apply in that situation? AFB, and I might be unaware of a houserule.

Posting from a phone is going to be interesting, but here goes nothing.

So, none of the yakuza seem to be affected by the darkness?

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2): 11d6t5 5 [5, 6, 6, 6, 2, 3, 4, 6, 1, 4, 1]

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2 - Previously Defended 1): 10d6t5 2 [3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4]

Edge to roll failures.

Rerolling Failures: 8d6t5 4 [3, 6, 6, 5, 2, 6, 1, 4]

Defense Roll (Reaction 4 + Intuition 5 + Cover 4 - Burst Fire 2 - Previously Defended 2): 9d6t5 2 [4, 4, 2, 5, 2, 1, 5, 2, 4]