NEWS

chameleon suit and ruthenium poly.

• 62 Replies

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <05-02-13/1752:08> »
A lot of people only use the Chameleon Coating for cloaking purposes.

AR134 offers this fun alternative use for vehicles (but I would apply that to other surfaces, too):
"...allowing the colors of the vehicle's exterior to be altered at will. The vehicle can, for example, have moving billboards on the exterior to earn a little extra nuyen, or elaborate color and art schemes which can be changed when something new has been downloaded from the Matrix. The vehicle can quickly change exterior colors in order to impersonate a delivery vehicle/drone, or it can be altered in order to blend..."

That means you can use the coated surface to display any kinds of shenanigans, pseudo-normal clothes etc.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #31 on: <05-02-13/1821:57> »
That's my favorite use for Ruthenium, though I kinda sidelined it after I found Holographic clothes,
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <05-02-13/1914:32> »
I remember one time where we were being chased in my character's van. So turned a corner, dove into a parking garage real quick, and flipped the chameleon coating on, setting it to look like Renraku corporate property, had the spoof chip and morphing license plate do their thing, and drove back out of the garage. Just because you can be seen, doesn't mean you aren't invisible.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #33 on: <05-02-13/1952:26> »
Joe: "Invisible" is perfectly servicable shorthand for the function.  It's not precise, but shorthand never is.

Your comment implied that it was transparent.

You see around it, not through it.

It's not a minor detail.

As I said, a cloak of invisibility is useful, an invisible cloak is not.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <05-02-13/2018:15> by JoeNapalm »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <05-02-13/2002:19> »
Just because you can be seen, doesn't mean you aren't invisible.
The best kinds of invisibility are when people look straight at you, then pass right on by because you're not important enough to remember.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-02-13/2043:44> »
Joe: "Invisible" is perfectly servicable shorthand for the function.  It's not precise, but shorthand never is.

It's not a minor detail.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

My comment implied that as a coat is generally not a complete covering, and that while the area covered by the coat would not be generally visually discernible (or, to use a simpler term, visible), that which is not covered by it would be.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #36 on: <05-02-13/2132:48> »

It's not a minor detail.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

My comment implied that as a coat is generally not a complete covering, and that while the area covered by the coat would not be generally visually discernible (or, to use a simpler term, visible), that which is not covered by it would be.

This has already been discussed.

"The layer under the coat will be visible" is not the same as saying "the area that is not under the coat will be visible."

The statement has now been clarified. Twice, even. Enough said.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

LovesTha

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <05-02-13/2244:54> »
If your going to be pedantic you really want to be correct.

The statement "The layer under the coat will be visible" doesn't imply that it will be visible in its entirety, just that it will be visible.

For clarity see the definition of visible: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/visible.
The first definition is:
1. Possible to see; perceptible to the eye: a visible object.

Typically under a jacket is it possible to see a shirt. The shirt is perceptible to the eye. The shirt is visible.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #38 on: <05-02-13/2249:51> »
I always thought that for cost and simplicity sake that the coating was more of a light bending distortion effect. I couldn't find pictures of them, but allot of you should remember the thermoptic rain slickers from the ghost in the shell movie. They didn't perfectly cover the person wearing it, but still made their entire body difficult to see. And the art in SR4A page 326 shows a guy wearing the same sort of thing that is just that, a stealth coat.

Thinking about coating something completely sounds highly improbable to me, as there are parts of the body that will not likely be covered, like the soles of your boots, and then you get into what items on your person weren't part of the suit. So I started treating it more as a stealth kit that while it allows you to modify a certain chunk of clothing probably comes with more periferals that cover other parts of your body that most clothes aren't likely to, like your whole head.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #39 on: <05-02-13/2303:55> »
I always thought that for cost and simplicity sake that the coating was more of a light bending distortion effect. I couldn't find pictures of them, but allot of you should remember the thermoptic rain slickers from the ghost in the shell movie. They didn't perfectly cover the person wearing it, but still made their entire body difficult to see. And the art in SR4A page 326 shows a guy wearing the same sort of thing that is just that, a stealth coat.

Thinking about coating something completely sounds highly improbable to me, as there are parts of the body that will not likely be covered, like the soles of your boots, and then you get into what items on your person weren't part of the suit. So I started treating it more as a stealth kit that while it allows you to modify a certain chunk of clothing probably comes with more periferals that cover other parts of your body that most clothes aren't likely to, like your whole head.

nice eye Ary! he's totally wearing a "lined coat" and "chameleon body suit". i always thought it'd look like Predator's stealthmode or Metal Gear Solid's stealth suit.
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #40 on: <05-02-13/2329:17> »

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #41 on: <05-02-13/2335:55> »
viaRailGun was referring to the character I was referring to in the Shadowrun 4th ed Anniversary Edition

and Motoko's true sex, or even gender, is never solidified in any of the media to my knowledge.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <05-03-13/0001:30> »
viaRailGun was referring to the character I was referring to in the Shadowrun 4th ed Anniversary Edition

and Motoko's true sex, or even gender, is never solidified in any of the media to my knowledge.
Actually, in SAC 2nd GIG, it shows her as a little girl in the hospital, before she got her full cyborg body.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <05-03-13/0007:53> »
She is also referred to as a girl in the mangas so I'd hazard her original gender is female.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #44 on: <05-03-13/0033:20> »
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.