NEWS

[5E] First 5E character, new-ish player, please critique hard

• 14 Replies

Adarkm07

« on: <07-30-14/0313:06> »
Hello all, my Sunday gaming group has just decided to switch to a Shadowrun 5e campaign and I was hoping with some help to make a character concept work and not be terrible.
Basically, I got the idea stuck in my head to play a two-sword style fighter who is highly mobile (think Kirito from the anime Sword Art Online, and you get the idea). I've played Shadowrun once before (4e), and was working on an Adept Sniper to replace my then-character, but dropped out of that campaign before I could play him. In light of that I decided it might be interesting to have this swordsman character be an Adept and eschew cybernetics/biotech in favor of magic.

With that all in mind I set my priorities as follows: A (Attributes), B (Magic, Adept), C (Skills), D (Meta-type, Human), E (Resources)

Our GM who is a bit more experienced with the system than I am (and much more than the rest of our group who is coming to this game for the first time) has set us at Street-Runner level, and waived a couple restrictions of character creation. Mainly we aren't limited to 1 maxed stat from Attribute points. However he placed a limit of 10 points of Negative Qualities (rather than the 13 normally allowed by street level). Liking my character concept he also pointed me at the Run & Gun book's martial arts rules, which seemed to dovetail nicely with what I want to do.

My stat-block as it stands currently is below; I've spent most of my remaining Karma on additional funds (sadly you just can't get by on the shoestring budget E Resources gives you), but can be persuaded not to, or to make different purchases if there are better alternatives to my choices.

BOD 3, AGI 6, REA 6, STR 4, WIL 3, LOG 2, INT 6, CHA 2, EDG 5, MAG 6
Positive Qualities: Agile Defender (3), Natural Athlete (7)
Negative Qualities: Distinctive Style (5), Prejudiced (Cyberware) (5)

Skill Groups: Athletics (2)
Active Skills: Blades (6, Sword), Free Fall (3), Perception (2), Arcana (2), Pistols (4), Sneaking (2), Unarmed (2), Tracking (1), Pilot Ground Craft (1), Con (2, Fast Talk), Etiquette (4), Locksmith (1)
Knowledges: Fixers (2), Fences (2), Runner Hangouts (2), Magical Theory (2), Magical Threats (2)
Languages: English (Native), French (3), Japanese (3)
Martial Arts: Fiore de Liberi (Two Weapon Style Attack)

Adept Powers (6/6): Wall Running, Enhanced Accuracy (Blades), Critical Strike (Blades), Improved Ability 3 (Blades), Improved Reflexes 1, Combat Sense 3, Danger Sense 1

Equipment: 1 Month Low Lifestyle (2000), Katana (1000), Horizon-Flynn Rapier (500), Colt America L36 (320), 3 Spare Clips (15), 20 Gel Rounds (50), 40 Regular Rounds (80), Renraku Sensei Commlink w/Local Mapsoft (1100), Rating 1 Fake SIN "Working Identity" (2500), Rating 4 Fake Licenses "Firearms" (800), Rating 4 Fake Licenses "Swords" (800), Rating 4 Fake Licenses "Bodyguard" (800), Rating 1 Fake SIN "Living Identity" (2500), Glasses w/Imagelink, Flare Compensation (475), Lined Coat w/Fire Resistance 4, Insulation 3 (2650), Standard Credstick (5). 405nuyen.

Contacts (7)
Fixer ( 2 Connections, 2 Loyalty)
Streethealer (1 Connections, 2 Loyalty)

Any help ID'ing the character's flaws and fixing them before next Sunday are appreciated.

EDIT: Changed a few things around on the character as per many of the suggestions I've gotten. Also added contacts. Voydangel reccomended moving skills to B, however I'm not sold on that idea right now, unless many people agree with him (he called it personal preference).
« Last Edit: <07-31-14/0151:13> by Adarkm07 »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-14/0331:17> »
First Ambidextrous!

Second, I'm pretty sure you could  achieve the exact same stat line, and pick up 4 extra points a physical skill by swapping B (Human) and D (Magic) to B (Magic Adept) and D (Human (3)). Which could help you strengthen up your skill set.

Consider a rapier as your off hand weapon? Slightly more with the character image.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Adarkm07

« Reply #2 on: <07-30-14/0338:20> »
I didn't initially go for Ambidextrous because Two Weapon Style Attack treats the two weapons as one single attack, and so I didn't think it was applicable. If I'm in error, or not seeing the whole picture its understandable.

If I swapped Magic and Meta-type I would get the extra skill points, but I'd ultimately lose 2 EDG. Initially I had edge as high as it could go, but dropped it a couple points to cap Magic for Adept power points. I sort of figured a higher edge would be extremely useful to a character like this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Rapier suggestion; Ultimately it would probably save me some nuyen. I think I didn't do that originally because I was trying to match the style of the anime character in my head (and I always picture Elucidator and Dark Repulsor as longswords). Stats-wise what I use there is irrelevant as long as it has Reach 1.
« Last Edit: <07-30-14/0345:54> by Adarkm07 »

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-14/0354:38> »
You won't lose edge. Human D has 3 special attribute points plus 2 initial human edge.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-14/0354:49> »
Remaining Karma: 1
how about Connections ?
a good ,qualified fixer is a must (ImO) and a good Streethealer (no Streetdoc as he'd use Cyberware ;) ) too

with a connected Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-30-14/0400:55> »
I didn't initially go for Ambidextrous because Two Weapon Style Attack treats the two weapons as one single attack, and so I didn't think it was applicable. If I'm in error, or not seeing the whole picture its understandable.
If you read the full text of two weapon style attack it says you need to be able to wield to swords. You can wield two swords but your still suffering a penalty. Two swords count as one for the purpose of one attack, is just a systematic means of making it so you don't make two attacks. It gives ya the extra damage as well, which is nice. Ask your GM, for his take on it, but that's how I would rule it.

If I swapped Magic and Meta-type I would get the extra skill points, but I'd ultimately lose 2 EDG. Initially I had edge as high as it could go, but dropped it a couple points to cap Magic for Adept power points. I sort of figured a higher edge would be extremely useful to a character like this.

How do you figure? As I read it, your Magic would be 6, then  human meta type edge is base 2 for (D) Human(3) you can only spend those 3 into edge resulting in 5 edge.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Rapier suggestion; Ultimately it would probably save me some nuyen. I think I didn't do that originally because I was trying to match the style of the anime character in my head (and I always picture Elucidator and Dark Repulsor as longswords). Stats-wise what I use there is irrelevant as long as it has Reach 1.
It really doesn't matter but a sword with Mono-line on it is harder to make into a foci.

Thinking
com
speaking

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-30-14/0410:06> »
I must say that your skill groups of acting and electronics are poor choice. Put these 2 points to athletics, and you suddenly have 6 more skill points. Etiquette 1 is not going to save you with your charisma to be honest. Those 6 points can go to 2 (+2) con (fast talk) and etiquette 4, now you can decently blend in. Picking pistols 4 as a free adeptB skill lets you bump unarmed to 2.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Adarkm07

« Reply #7 on: <07-30-14/0427:58> »
Whoops. You guys are all right about the Magic/Meta-type thing. I just can't do math at 4am.

I'll talk with my GM about Ambidextrous/Two Weapon Attack. If it comes down to it I can slot it in instead of Natural Athlete.

I initially had Athletics as a skill group, but switched to my current set up because I wanted slightly higher running/gymnastics, and didn't feel a need for swimming. Ultimately switching back might be better for me in the long run.

I do like ZeldaBravo's selection of skills to improve if I make this change. I'll sleep on it for now, but am leaning in that direction.

I probably will use the last karma for some contacts, but I'll have to drop some of my equipment (upgrades off the longcoat, if switching to rapier dosn't cover it) for pistol ammo if I do.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #8 on: <07-30-14/0543:28> »
The only thing I feel the need to note is to say that you should have your GM rethink using the "street level" rules from pg64 since the result of those rules isn't actually a street level game - it's a magic heavy game. If you want to do a more magic/tech balanced street level game, take a peek at the "street scum" rules on p354.

This image may help to explain the actual results of using the two different sets of optional rules.

Note that using the "Prime runners" tends to also increase the power level of the game as well as lowering the incidence of magic, while the "High life" rules tend to increase the incidence of magic in the game while increasing the power level. It's an odd interaction.

Anyway, I only bring this up because many GM's that are new to 5e use the "street level" rules expecting one thing but ending up with a lot of frustrated players - specifically those that choose non-awakened characters.

Other than that, the character looks pretty decent (Although I personally would move metatype to C and eat the loss of edge to get a bunch more skill points instead)
« Last Edit: <07-30-14/0545:14> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-30-14/0555:27> »
Voyd I'm deeply amused that you had a graphic on hand for that.
Thinking
com
speaking

Adarkm07

« Reply #10 on: <07-30-14/1534:14> »
Updated first post with many of the suggestions I've gotten. Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-30-14/2339:40> »
IIRC, sim module requires DNI, so you should get trodes. I don't know why would you want a sim module in the first place but whatever.

Adarkm07

« Reply #12 on: <07-31-14/0152:48> »
I think I was looking at lists of recommended gear, and a commlink with one attached was in it. Upon consideration though, I really *don't* need it, so I've added that 100Y back to my funds.

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <07-31-14/0449:57> »
BOD 3, AGI 6, REA 6, STR 4, WIL 3, LOG 2, INT 6, CHA 2, EDG 5, MAG 6
Isn't "only one attribute maxed out at chargen" rule violated?
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-31-14/0527:30> »
Yes it is and their GM is ok with it.