NEWS

"Monad"

• 4 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <03-22-18/1924:29> »
What does this word mean?  Where did it come from?  I know it has something to do with CFD and AI; I only first saw it in Dark Terrors where it's used a bunch but never explained.

"The head cases found each other and organized into Monads,"
"The Monads at Gagarin"
"Estimates of how many Monads"
"With DSECI’s departure, earthbound Monads"
"offering citizenship to both Monads and AIs"
"brought its first Monad test case to court"
"the market with Monad-developed technologies"
"Monad-derived tech?"

So wtf does it mean?  The Shadowrun wiki says it just means "headcase", as in, the AI inhabiting bodies of people who had CFD.  But the phrase "organized into Monads" makes it sound like that isn't accurate.  It also sounds like they're different from AI.

It sounds like they're potentially going to make a big change to the setting of Shadowrun, if basically overnight these beings are making new groundbreaking technology while being their own unique kind of being with "powers" similar to a technomancer's in some ways.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-22-18/1947:39> »
I actuallt asked this a couple years back, and, if I remember correctly, it's a essentially the "PC" name that a large group of head cases, generally those associatted with the deep space exploration mission, chose for themselves, and it sort of caught on.  I look at it as being an identifier for those who subscribe to the movement that head cases are not in the wrong, were victims in this situation, snd that simce the damage is done they should be accepted in society.  Like I said, tho, it seems to be mostly attached to those working with Evo (I think tue term may have started on the Mars Base?) so I dont know how relevant it will continie to he now that their ship has left.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-18/2300:11> »
a name for the collective of those infected with non-boston CFD. The monad is the larger group that sort of had plans and took over mars, etc.. While individual monads are just part of that group. Although, it is already getting messy and probably might end up referring to anyone who is stably infected with CFD.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-22-18/2309:33> »
Thanks for the clarification!
The power of the Tri-Horse!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <03-23-18/1112:23> »
Thank you kindly, Opti.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.