NEWS

First Time Technomancer

• 12 Replies

Mahkasad

• Newb
« on: <12-11-10/1927:25> »
Hi there,
Let me start by saying I am completely new to Shadowrun (any edition) and thus these forums as well. This applies doubly so to the wondrous depth that is the Technomancer. I've looked through both the core rule book and Unwired pretty comprehensively, but I am sure I've missed a few things along the way. I thought I would post up my first attempt at the character here and see if any good advice arose for how to not utterfail. : ) Please be gentle.

This is the 2nd complete rendition as taking into account the already received advice.

Update 0.80

Orion Eritas
Metatype : Human
Technomancer

Attributes
Body: 2
Agility: 2
Reaction: 2
Strength: 2
Charisma: 4
Intuition: 5
Logic: 5
Willpower: 4

Edge: 1
Resonance: 6
Initiative: 8
Essence: 6

Active Skills
Pistols (Light Pistols) : 1
Cracking : 4
Tasking : 4
Perception : 2
Electronics : 3

Knowledge Skills
English : N

Security Design (Matrix) : 4
Data Haven (Subject : Matrix) : 3
Computer Background : 4
IC Identification : 3
Matrix Theory : 4
Operating Systems : 4
Matrix Games (Miracle Shooter) : 2

Positive Qualities
Analytical Mind [-5]
Technomancer [-5]

Negative Qualities
Low Pain Tolerance [+10]
Media Junkie (Mild) [+5]
Day Job 1 (Online Student) [+5]
SINner [+5]
Virtual Personality (-2) [+10]

Weapons
Colt American L36
Internal Smartlink
Hidden Gun Arm Slide

5x Regular Ammo (10 shots)
2x Spare Clips

Armors
3x Clothing (Regular)
Leather Jacket

Commlinks
Commlink : Metalink

10x Virtual Surround Music
Virtual Person
Miracle Shooter
Common Use (1)

Equipment
Contact Lenses
+Image Link
+Vision Magnification
+Smart Link

Earbud
+ Audio Enhancement (Rating 3)
+ Spatial Recognizer

Fake License [Firearms] (4)
Tag Eraser
Fake SIN (4)

Handheld
- Radio Signal Scanner (6)

Emotitoy (Minidrone, 6)
Inline Skates
Bus/Rail Pass (Monthly)

Complex forms
Analyze (4)
Reality Filter (3)
Exploit (5)
Stealth (5)
Armor (4)
Spoof (4)
Track (4)
Attack (4)

Contacts
Steve Carell (Fixer) (L:2 C:4)
Andrea Simmons (ID Manufacturer) (L:1 C:4)

[EDIT: Did an entire rebuild from the ground up with new understanding of various concepts and rules.]

The basic idea is Orion is a Student attending the final semesters of his degree program in (Matrix-related stuffs?). As this is the end of his degree he only has to attend online courses and thus can devout his 10 hours of mandatory work even when on the run.
He emerged at the start of his 3rd year of courses and has dabbled somewhat in the shadows. He maintains an active Fake SIN which he utilizes for jobs and does his best to ensure that his real (and therefore student) record stays clean.

His equipment is rather sparse as direct weapons-conflict is not his strongest suite. He still has and maintains his Commlink as an outside cover, and to handle managing his student life simpler. Professors might grow concerned if he completely disappeared but still turned in his work.

I plan to be utilizing sprites often as they seem to be a core component of TMs. If anyone has any general or specific advice, have at it : )
« Last Edit: <12-12-10/1907:13> by Mahkasad »

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-11-10/2014:38> »
For qualities, you can buy up to 35 points of positive qualities, and take up to 35 points in negative qualities.  These are distinct, separate rules.  It is not a net amount.  In other words, you can't take 35 positive, then 70 negative for a net -35.  I'm saying this because you seem to have way too many negative qualities.

A Strength of 1 is fine for an out-of-shape cerebral academic type (although some GMs will blow up when they see any  Attribute of 1, so be careful), but I would strongly recommend getting a higher Body than 1.  It's a severe vulnerability, and you won't be able to even wear your armor without being encumbered.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-11-10/2017:31> »
Let me start by saying welcome to the game  :)

and welcome to the boards also.

I am not a matrix master by any means, but a couple things popped out at me just looking at your character and discription.

1) you can only have 35 pts worth of negative qualities (only 35 pts worth of positive also) not sure what your totals on these are, but the negative seems to have a lot of them there so I think you are over the limit.

2) you mention having 2 active fake SIN, but I don't see them listed in your gear. They are expensive, but necessary. Also your fake license needs to either be tied to your real SIN or one of the fake SIN

3) there are many people who say you won't live long with a 1 edge. It is the get another chance card. I played a character for quite some time with only a 1 edge so I don't think it is absolutely needed, but it definitely helps when you are starting out.

4) The Doc Wagon contract is nice, but pricey and you need to realize that it means you will have an armband on telling them where you are at all times (so they know where to send the help) though they won't enter into another corp's facility to save you so it's up to you if you think it is worth it. I bought it at first all the time now I don't usually bother for what it is worth

Hope these help. I know there will be people who will give you more ideas on the technomancer part so good luck, and again welcome
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Mahkasad

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-10/2026:29> »
I have just now found the short 1 sentence rules on Qualities at the start of the quality subsection for each. Would be nice if that was posted in the main 'Qualities' section of the Building a Character : P
Editing the build to reflect this.

Also I have paid for the Sins, just the tool I am using to do the basic maths did not output them on the list for somereason. The License is linked to one of the Fake Sins. I will reconsider the Doc contract, it is certainly pricey, and that should free up a few of the lost points from the changes in qualities. Back in a few : P(Will Edit Main post)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #4 on: <12-12-10/0617:21> »
I don't think you can have both SINner and Erased - these qualities contradict each other, as Erased burns any info on your character..
And as for my advice, go with Body 3-4, and Str of at least 2 even if that cuts your budget short. You need them. Body is essential for resisting damage, toxins, and such and having a 10-box Physical damage track. With str 1 you can carry only 10 kg of gear, which - if you want to have armor, equipment and a weapon with ammo - is too low. And you will have a ton of recoil with that gun, as your character is definitely too weak for it.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <12-12-10/0751:30> »
Kot, at 10 BP, Erased gets rid of "[...] any SIN, undesirable credit history, or personal information on teh Matrix that she wishes [...]"
So, if the character specifically wants to keep a SIN, it doesn't get erased.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #6 on: <12-12-10/0754:02> »
The validity of SIN+Erased came up a while ago. I'd be sure to talk about selective erasure with your GM and don't count on being able to keep it.

Mahkasad

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-12-10/1340:29> »
I will certainly leave the validity of SINer and Erased up to my GM, but as Chaemera mentioned it is desired information that is erased, and my character currently wishes to keep his student ID a functioning and existing thing. I could see how it would certainly contradict a Criminal SINer, but see no real reason why someone with a valid reason to keep a civilian SIN would not be allowed to also manage overflow or transgressions on any other SINs they posses.

I looked at rearranging my BP to get the suggested Stats, and it is basically impossible without severely sacrificing either my main attributes, or all of my equipment and contacts. I could drop my Reaction to 1 and boost the other two, but I do not know if that is the best idea. I will most likely lower REA 1 and raise STR 1 to avoid carrying issues.

I'm not sure where you are getting the issue with firing the HK. In addition to my skills (+3 Agility +4 with Sub Machine Guns), with the combined Smartlink (+2) and Folding stock (+1) I have +8/+7 to use the weapon in Burst mode, and with the additional Foregrip (+1) I have a +2 to use it in Full auto. I would say that is not terribly bad considering shooting people is not my focus. I may be misinterpreting something completely here. If so please let me know.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-12-10/1521:30> »
That's kind of what I meant when I said a lot of GMs get up in arm over any Attribute of 1.  A Strength of 1 lets you carry 10 kg, or about 22 pounds, unencumbered.  That might leave someone wearing a full kit of combat gear encumbered, but someone who only has a sidearm and some light modern body armor should not really be affected.

Obviously, any Attribute of 1 is not good, but a low Strength will affect you a lot less than a low Body or Reaction.  A low Body means you can't wear even light armor without being encumbered, while a low Reaction means you are far less likely to dodge those bullets in the first place.

You have enough recoil compensation on your gun, but I would seriously consider replacing it with a heavy pistol or machine pistol, something more concealable, less encumbering, and more suited for a peripheral combatant.  I worry that a sub-machine gun will draw a lot of return fire from hostiles.  It is more of a front-line combatant weapon.  It makes you just  effective enough in combat to get killed when they mark you as a higher priority threat.

Mahkasad

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <12-12-10/1558:14> »
A good thought, will definitly give it a look over. Probably will end up altering it such that I have the 2 BOD 1 STR 2 REA. Basically I do not expect to be in situations where getting shot is common. I'm sure it will occur eventually though, but my battle cry will most likely be something along the lines of "I'll Wait In The Van!" : )

After further reading and investigation, with a sub 3 Body, I cannot wear any amor other than Leather Jacket or Armor Clothing unencumbered. This rather severely limits my 'getting shot at' abilities. I have decided to go back and rework the entire deal. Will replace the base post in an hour or 2 with the new version xP
« Last Edit: <12-12-10/1628:32> by Mahkasad »

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-12-10/2303:17> »
Not wanting to be shot at being common is great. My experience is that anyone on a shadowrun gets shot at on a regular basis. You kind of put yourself in the situation, but you can take precautions to try and limit it.

My main character She Who Walks Through Walls is one who tries hard not to make getting shot at common, but I have been in two firefights in the adventure I'm in now and still have probably at least half of it left. I didn't get shot in either one and no one even pointed a gun in my direction in one of them, but shadowruners often attract shooting so some armor and body to try and minimize the damage is good
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #11 on: <12-13-10/0341:42> »
A camouflage suit always helps. But only if you don't get spotted. If you do, be prepared to face some serious fire. Sneaks are as dangerous, as any other kind of shadowrunner, and i bet security wants to deal with them ASAP.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #12 on: <12-29-10/0923:05> »
One little thing humans have a minimum Edge of 2, for 0 BP.
Is this character created by the BP- or Karma-System? Either way Resonance 6 is extreme, especially because you do not use this high rating, so it is a waste of 25 BP or 30 KP.
If you like to have such high rating, than you should use it too! i.e. raising Complex Forms up to the max. of 6, or a Mental Attribute.

btw: Which stream does he follow?
« Last Edit: <12-29-10/0936:32> by Ultra Violet »