NEWS

Initiative Passes

• 70 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #30 on: <11-24-10/0426:17> »
Not to mention the rigger jumping into one of said drones, gaining more IPs and firepower...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #31 on: <11-24-10/0552:58> »
So... most Mages in those games just die?

I guess? Unless they all take the Increase Reflexes spell and bind a spirit to sustain it for them indefinitely. Or are hopelessly addicted to Jazz.

Yeah, my team is bored, but alive, with only one of them consistently having multiple IP's (2 when the Techno goes VR). Granted, I keep forgetting to have my CorpSec & street thugs use the drugs they keep in their back pockets to up their own IP's. . . bad GM.

Sustaining focus.  10k per level is about the same cost as wires for 3 IP.  Also, multicasting force 6 stunballs should keep the guy from even needing a 2nd IP.

Besides, wizzers are the least likely to develop a stim addiction after cybercombat hackers.  Willpower and Logic aren't in short supply in magetowne.

Really, if you can't swing a 2nd IP in those cases when combat becomes necessary, then you don't belong in the shadows.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/1544:02> by Kontact »

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #32 on: <11-24-10/0711:41> »
One thing to remember about riggers and mages is that they may not always have more than 1 IP themselves, but their drones or spirits are another story.

Yep. 20 drones given a blanket order to "kill those guys" may not fight smart but with so many, they're going to fight hard. I've taken to giving my non-Rigger characters have a couple of drones that they use purely in command mode. An extra set of eyes can be very useful and when I can afford to mount some guns and a drone rack on that Nightsky with the artificial personality program, its going to be scary.

The Doomed One

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <11-24-10/1045:50> »
Which is why the only non-medium to -high armor PC in my group. . . stays inside the armored van.

I know I'm nitpicking, but March is decently armored, he just lacks real world combat skills. You know that old saying about not bringing a knife to a gun fight? It doesn't matter if it's an old steak knife (civilian mundane) or a 32-function Swiss Army knife with inexplicable wireless access (support hacker/technomancer), if it doesn't directly aid you in a firefight, it's best not to utilize it in the firefight. Or so goes my logic.

Besides, who needs the meat world when I match IPs with the combat adept while in VR? ;D

In your case the quote isn't "Don't bring a knife to a gun-fight, bring a gun."  It is "Don't bring a book-worm to a gun-fight, bring a LAW-toting ork."

Also, to paraphrase V for Vendetta:

It's not a gun-fight, it's a bullet-fight. And when you're all out of bullets, I'll still have my knives.

EDITED
For random formatting fixes.
I thought it was: "Always bring a knife to a gun fight, just don't forget the gun."
Pie > Cake

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <11-24-10/1249:16> »
Which is why the only non-medium to -high armor PC in my group. . . stays inside the armored van.

I know I'm nitpicking, but March is decently armored, he just lacks real world combat skills. You know that old saying about not bringing a knife to a gun fight? It doesn't matter if it's an old steak knife (civilian mundane) or a 32-function Swiss Army knife with inexplicable wireless access (support hacker/technomancer), if it doesn't directly aid you in a firefight, it's best not to utilize it in the firefight. Or so goes my logic.

Besides, who needs the meat world when I match IPs with the combat adept while in VR? ;D

In your case the quote isn't "Don't bring a knife to a gun-fight, bring a gun."  It is "Don't bring a book-worm to a gun-fight, bring a LAW-toting ork."

It's not a gun-fight, it's a bullet-fight. And when you're all out of bullets, I'll still have my knives.

EDITED
I thought it was: "Always bring a knife to a gun fight, just don't forget the gun."
Within 6 meters the knife always wins 8)
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <11-24-10/1447:21> »
Not against my "Adrenalin Rush" quality pimped Sammy it doesn't.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #36 on: <11-24-10/1529:53> »

EDITED
Within 6 meters the knife always wins 8)
There's no such animal as "always."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #37 on: <11-24-10/1535:14> »
Really?  If I shove a grenade in some tricked out troll Sammie's mouth and it goes off his is always going to die.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <11-25-10/0308:36> »
Not by RAW he won't.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <11-25-10/0410:32> »
Really?  If I shove a grenade in some tricked out troll Sammie's mouth and it goes off his is always going to die.
Hand of God says : "there is NO always"

with a Dance of God
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <11-25-10/0444:39> »
Doesn't need Hand of God. The grenade does 10 or 12 damage, neither one is enough to kill a tricked out troll even BEFORE he rolls damage soak.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #41 on: <11-25-10/2203:57> »
Doesn't need Hand of God. The grenade does 10 or 12 damage, neither one is enough to kill a tricked out troll even BEFORE he rolls damage soak.

And there is something very wrong about that fact.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #42 on: <11-25-10/2242:57> »
Well, no, actually he's probably not without some serious house ruling.

That's neither here nor there, though, when what I was referring to was a real-life comment about a knife "always" winning within a certain range.  The 21 Foot Rule, as it's often called, is more or a 21 Foot Warning Label, or 21 Foot Reminder.  A knife doesn't always win within a certain range, just like a gun doesn't always win outside of a certain range. 

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <11-26-10/0222:27> »

And there is something very wrong about that fact.

Well, I consider Insta Kills for Player Chars for something very wrong.After all its a Game and meant to be Fun.
And  Insta Kills might be Fun for NSCs but (ImO) not for PCs

with an Insta Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <11-26-10/0347:45> »
Well, no, actually he's probably not without some serious house ruling.

That's neither here nor there, though, when what I was referring to was a real-life comment about a knife "always" winning within a certain range.  The 21 Foot Rule, as it's often called, is more or a 21 Foot Warning Label, or 21 Foot Reminder.  A knife doesn't always win within a certain range, just like a gun doesn't always win outside of a certain range. 

But if you can launch the blade of said knife with a spring mechanism at your opponents throat, the chances rise drastically ;D