NEWS

How much can a commlink hold?

• 25 Replies

Flycatcher

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <12-07-10/1338:23> »
Not sure what you mean by the 'kitteh' stuff. Do you mean Bastet from Running Wild? Can you be a bit more specific?

I think Kot's referring to the protosapient AI, detailed in Running Wild on pg. 200. Looks like a feline-ish ball of fluff with anime features (or at least the illustrations I've seen suggest so), acts disgustingly cute and endearing, has a nasty habit of consuming running programs (including agents and other AIs) as its main diet.

Kittehs apparently also make popular Matrix pets and are even used as one of the example trainable critters on pg. 39. I suppose if you really hate your team hacker/rigger or if you know an awesome virtual critter trainer, they could make an interesting plot device. Of course, I can only assume it was a kitteh that caused the botched run detailed on pg. 193... approach and befriend anything adorable in Shadowrun at your own peril, I suppose.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <12-07-10/1350:50> »
Ahh... I remember the Bastet but didn't go further back in the book. I thought it was something like that.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #17 on: <12-07-10/1409:02> »
Thanks. Good to know there are AI-lolcats around in 2072. :D
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #18 on: <12-07-10/1427:17> »
Oh god.  Just think of the 2072 version of 4Chan.  *shudders*

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #19 on: <12-07-10/1433:53> »
*laughs* Just imagine that. It would be damn usefull. :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #20 on: <12-07-10/1435:24> »
True.  Getting 4Chan riled up against someone would be a pretty good way of getting back at an enemy or a double crossing Johnson.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <12-07-10/1511:39> »
You do realize that WikiLeaks is Shadowland, right?

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #22 on: <12-07-10/1807:14> »
I think Wikileaks was my personal tipping point where the cyberpunk future became the cyberpunk present.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <12-07-10/1951:50> »
Totally agree, Nomad. When I read about Assange's 'dead man drop' I flashbacked to the Universal Brotherhood file. Though the media's calling it a "poison pill," "doomsday file" and Assange's labeled it his "insurance file."
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #24 on: <12-07-10/2227:47> »
And now you have a way to get your paydata to a wikileaks source.
http://deaddrops.com/
Watch for nearby security cameras

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #25 on: <03-02-11/0228:36> »
One of the first questions my group had (We're almost all computer techs) was where storage went.  I stated that everything that wasn't built to be disposable (And even a few things that were) were built with memory space in them for such a purpose, "Even your underwear.  So hide the Paydata in the Troll's Databoxers and burn out it's Wireless to keep it totally safe.".

A bit later, we had to deal with a massive amount of data, and I informed them that non-corporate memory farms are built out of toasters, as they had the best "Memory size-to-cost ratio available", with the caveat that this was thrown off slightly by the free toasters given out by banks.

Even later, we had to deal with an insane amount of data, and one of the group's contacts, luckily, had a warehouse that was set up as a Data Farm, filled with toasters and explosives.  ("Why did you set up this place?"  "Oh, the toasters came with the warehouse.  The original owner won't, um, need it any more.  I use it to store my hobby items here."  "The...  Explosives."  "Yes.  Everyone has to have a hobby.").
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11