NEWS

Rigging & Drone Questions

• 4 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <10-29-20/1320:40> »
1.  Are autosofts only used when the drone is acting independently (i.e. not jumped into)?

2.  If the rigger is jumped in, is he in any way limited by the Sensor rating of the drone?  For example, would he use his full Perception+Intuition for Perception checks, or does the Sensor rating come into play?  The Sensor rules on p. 276 suggest one can use either their Perception skill or sensor rating as they prefer (although I'm not sure there is an equivalency between vehicle sensors and these rules).

3. Are vehicle sensors to be treated as a "sensor array" that can hold visual/audio enhancements and sensor functions?  If so, is the capacity equal to the vehicle's sensor rating? (Or given the low sensor ratings, maybe the capacity should be something like Sensor Rating x 4).  For example, could a doberman drone possess low-light vision? 

4.  What is the maximum autosoft rating?  (I'm guessing that the maxiimum software rating is 9 due inferring from the Availability chart on p. 245).

5.  Rules state that a vehicle "breaks down" when it's condition monitor fills up.  Does that mean vehicles can always be repaired?
« Last Edit: <10-29-20/1332:10> by j2klbs »

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <10-29-20/1406:43> »
I just saw that the Missions SR6 FAQ addresses the vehicle sensors in that they have a built in camera, mic and capacity equal to the vehicle's sensor rating.  While not officially in the rules, that helps me with regard to my question #3.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-20/1603:05> »
1.  Are autosofts only used when the drone is acting independently (i.e. not jumped into)?

2.  If the rigger is jumped in, is he in any way limited by the Sensor rating of the drone?  For example, would he use his full Perception+Intuition for Perception checks, or does the Sensor rating come into play?  The Sensor rules on p. 276 suggest one can use either their Perception skill or sensor rating as they prefer (although I'm not sure there is an equivalency between vehicle sensors and these rules).

3. Are vehicle sensors to be treated as a "sensor array" that can hold visual/audio enhancements and sensor functions?  If so, is the capacity equal to the vehicle's sensor rating? (Or given the low sensor ratings, maybe the capacity should be something like Sensor Rating x 4).  For example, could a doberman drone possess low-light vision? 

4.  What is the maximum autosoft rating?  (I'm guessing that the maxiimum software rating is 9 due inferring from the Availability chart on p. 245).

5.  Rules state that a vehicle "breaks down" when it's condition monitor fills up.  Does that mean vehicles can always be repaired?

1. Yes
2. No. Jumped in the rigger uses their own OR the sensors.
3. Yep go by the FAQ
4. Yes 9
5. Pretty much yes. Though I have a houserule that says a vehicle/drone has an overflow value equal to their body x2 and is beyond repair if the 9verflow is filled up.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-29-20/1608:45> »
Awesome!  Thank you Banshee!!!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-29-20/1619:21> »

It's a useful rule of thumb to measure whose attribute is being rolled.  Is the pilot rolling the test? then autosofts apply.  Is the rigger rolling? then autosofts don't apply.

Also remember that there's granularity in between a drone that's acting independently and a drone that's been Jumped In.

Jumped In (no autosofts apply) > Direct/Remote Control (no autosofts apply) > executing Rigger's orders (autosofts apply) > Independently operating (autosofts apply)

First of all, drones and vehicles are the same thing, rules-wise.  Drones are just a special kind of vehicle that 1) come with Rigger adaptation for free and 2) don't seat any passengers.

Next: Limits are gone in this edition, at least as a game mechanic. The limit (lowercase 'l'), so to speak, this time around relates to the circumstantial edge consideration.  Crappy sensors might award edge to the other guy hiding from your drone.  Good sensors might give you the Edge.  GM call.

As for the rules on pg 276: there's a bit of rules ambiguity if Sensors (the gear) are the same thing as Sensors (the vehicle/drone attribute).  It may not necessarily follow that rules on pg 276 apply to drones, but imo I don't see any reason they couldn't.  Of course, the upcoming Rigger book will hopefully address this.

See above. In absence of more in-depth Rigger rules, I'd say go for it, although the GM is gonna have to use discretion when it comes to how much/many sensors can be crammed in as aftermarket mods.  Again, when we get a focused rigger book hopefully this will be better ironed out.

Yep, it's 9. That's a bit of erratum that was added in the last round.  Remember your availability limits for chargen, though!

Generally yes but remember GM fiat.  GM can always say some particularly spectacular damage is something there's no coming back from.

Edit: whoops, too slow and got slipped.  I think we giving basically the same answers ;)
« Last Edit: <10-29-20/1625:20> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.