NEWS

Point Buy - Gnome Technomancer

• 14 Replies

8-bit

« on: <12-19-14/2307:32> »
As this is my first attempt at using some of the new rules from Run Faster I might get a few rules wrong. Feel free to point out the mistakes.

-- Point Expenditure --
800 Karma
-50 Gnome
-15 Technomancer
-16 Complex Forms
-18 Positive Qualities
+25 Negative Qualities
-400 Attributes
-175 Skills
-110 Skill Groups
-13 Nuyen
-12 Contacts

15 Remaining

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 2
Reaction 4
Strength 1
Willpower 5
Logic 7
Intuition 5
Charisma 2
Edge 2
Resonance 4
Essence 6

Initiative - 9 + 1d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 11
Overflow Boxes - 3
Physical Limit - 3
Mental Limit - 8
Social Limit - 5

-- Qualities --
Arcane Arrester 2 (Racial)
Neoteny (Racial)
Thermographic Vision (Racial)
Codeslinger - Hack on the Fly (-10 Karma)
Focused Concentration 2 (-8 Karma)
Codeblock - Crack File (+10 Karma)
Paranoia (+7 Karma)
Phobia - Doctors, Moderate (+8 Karma)

-- Skills --
Automatics 4 (+2 Machine Pistols)
Con 4
Perception 4
Computer 4
Hardware 2
Software 6
Compiling 4
Registering 4

-- Skill Groups --
Biotech 1
Cracking 6

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
English N
TBD

-- Resonance --
Resist Fading with Resonance (4) + Willpower (5)

Cleaner
Editor
Static Veil
Resonance Spike

-- Gear --
TBD - Normal Technomancer Gear | Will edit later

Remaining Money -   + ()

-- Contacts --
Fixer - Connection 3, Loyalty 4
Information Broker - Connection 3, Loyalty 2

So, any thoughts so far? It's honestly not the best Technomancer I've ever made, but it's not terrible either.
« Last Edit: <12-21-14/1509:18> by 8-bit »

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #1 on: <12-20-14/0137:48> »
At a glance, charisma needs to go up, software needs to go down, compiling and registering need to go up. Otherwise, looks decent to me.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-20-14/0429:26> »
Software is fine as it is. It's a techno, not a decker.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <12-20-14/1114:39> »
I originally was playing around with a SURGE'd Gnome that could get to 9 Logic (with exceptional Attribute), but it ended up being really expensive on the Karma. The main thing I found when making this was that I spent a good 50-70% of Karma on Attributes, and 30-50% on Skills. Which is a problem. So, I needed to tone it down from the Priorities that I'm used to.

Honestly, a higher Charisma does not do much for me. Attack 2 vs. Attack 3 is such a small difference, that it doesn't really matter. The extra die is also not that amazing, and you don't get free contact points.

Software is staying where it is, because Resonance Spike is my only real offensive Matrix action. Compiling and Registering could use some love, it's true, but I'm not exactly sure where to find the Karma for it.

RagallachMC

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <12-20-14/2127:16> »
I don't see the Hacking skill in there anywhere. And you used Codeslinger for Hack on the Fly which uses the Hacking skill.

8-bit

« Reply #5 on: <12-20-14/2309:52> »
I don't see the Hacking skill in there anywhere. And you used Codeslinger for Hack on the Fly which uses the Hacking skill.

Cracking Group 6.

RagallachMC

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-14/0847:40> »

Cracking Group 6.

I'm an idiot :)

8-bit

« Reply #7 on: <12-21-14/1304:59> »

Cracking Group 6.

I'm an idiot :)

Nah, you would be surprised how many people forget about Skill Groups. I've been guilty a couple of times myself.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-14/1503:57> »
You have 30 points in Negative Qualities, while I get that it is legal since you only count 25,  I'm thinking you could lower the Phobia or loose the style, or replace codeblock with an allergy, etc etc.

8-bit

« Reply #9 on: <12-21-14/1509:04> »
You have 30 points in Negative Qualities, while I get that it is legal since you only count 25,  I'm thinking you could lower the Phobia or loose the style, or replace codeblock with an allergy, etc etc.

Oh, oops. Going to drop the Distinctive Style. That was a leftover from a SURGE Build that I ended up scrapping. Thanks for pointing that out.

genewipe

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <12-23-14/0519:50> »
More of a general question than specific to your character:

Are the 400Karma spend in Attributes more of a habit from the SR4 BP system or is there a rule to use halve of the 800Karma?

SR5: Run Faster, P.6, Point Buy:
"..works similar to Character Advancement.."
[/i]
This could also mean, that you have to pay double for Qualities (SR5, P.107, Character Improvement Table)
What is right?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-23-14/0839:20> »
As long as you're still in character creation, you pay list price.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <12-23-14/1302:28> »
More of a general question than specific to your character:

Are the 400Karma spend in Attributes more of a habit from the SR4 BP system or is there a rule to use halve of the 800Karma?

No, it isn't either (I've never played SR4, and there is no rule in SR5), but Attributes are expensive. I tried making ones that use 450 or 500, but you run out of Karma for Skills, Money, and even Metatype.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-23-14/1321:00> »
Codeblock on Crack File can be dangerous if you want to get paydata...of course, you can always get a sprite to do it for you.

That's the key with technos - a lot of the things you'd do as a decker, you command a sprite to do because they'll likely be able to do it better than you.

Biotech Group 1 isn't going to help much - First Aid 1 means you can only heal 1 box with First Aid. An R6 medkit is much better unless you build for First Aid - which you don't have the points to do.

Static Veil is kind of unnecessary. Resonance Veil is practically required for a TM.
Playability > verisimilitude.

8-bit

« Reply #14 on: <12-23-14/1708:11> »
Codeblock on Crack File can be dangerous if you want to get paydata...of course, you can always get a sprite to do it for you.

True; my usual choice is Reboot Device, but not quite sure how that applies to a Technomancer.

That's the key with technos - a lot of the things you'd do as a decker, you command a sprite to do because they'll likely be able to do it better than you.

Very true. Still, it's the first time I think I would actually play a Hacking TM instead of a Sprite TM.

Biotech Group 1 isn't going to help much - First Aid 1 means you can only heal 1 box with First Aid. An R6 medkit is much better unless you build for First Aid - which you don't have the points to do.

Shoot. You're right. Well, that's some Karma to free up.

Static Veil is kind of unnecessary. Resonance Veil is practically required for a TM.

I heavily disagree. Static Veil + Cleaner is the ultimate "sneak MARKs on stuff early and never have to reboot" setup. Resonance Veil is useless, in every game I've played in. Maybe it's different at your table, but at mine, it is pretty much a waste of a Complex Form. Sure, it can be useful, if the GM allows it to be. No GM I've ever been with has.