NEWS

Safe houses

• 91 Replies

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« on: <01-28-11/1626:40> »
Alright people this is a subject that actually I think gets a little over looked, Safe houses.

Nobody in the shadows can live long without one, because lets face it, we spend our days pissing off people with power on par with most 6th world countries. If they want us, they'll come get us. But everyone needs a place to sleep and eat at the end of a long run, so how do you keep your safe house safe? know some special trick that's served you well? Share it here!
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <01-28-11/1630:51> »
Sewers - the classical approach. You find a forgotten dry section with easy enough access (for you, that is), and go from there. With drones and spirits at the average shadowrunning group's disposal that's a pretty average task. :)
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <01-28-11/1634:26> »
Sewers - the classical approach. You find a forgotten dry section with easy enough access (for you, that is), and go from there. With drones and spirits at the average shadowrunning group's disposal that's a pretty average task. :)
Just watch the occasional drenching downpour that may flood you out.

My call? Warehouses, preferably near shipping ports. Lots of space that many do not notice (and easy to bribe those that do). Heck, you can make a pretty decent apartment out of an abandoned shipping containers. Get some portable generators and hack a nearby landline or wifi and you're good to go.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #3 on: <01-28-11/1640:34> »
That's why i mentioned dry sections. Smart shadowrunners will build a proper drainage system.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-28-11/1642:31> »
That's why i mentioned dry sections. Smart shadowrunners will build a proper drainage system.
seems like that would require time, materials and skills that not everyone might have...
« Last Edit: <01-28-11/1741:23> by Teyl_Iliar »
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <01-28-11/1749:29> »
seems like that would require time, materials and skills that not everyone might have...

That's what makes it a good safe house. You put the time and effort into building a drainage system, you also learn the lay of the land, the locals and how to defend the terrain.

On top of that, the effort required also means that most security forces will write it off without investigating when they start hunting the runners.

Imagine:
"Hey, shouldn't we check this sewer out? The guy we're looking for hangs out in this neighborhood."

"Yeah, but after last night's downpour, no one would stay there. Let's try the warehouses down by the docks, easy access, lots of space, few people, it's perfect!"
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-28-11/1906:38> »
A valid point. But then again it's kind of specific. What makes it any better than the barrens? or some equally desolate place? Also, I have a feeling that not everyone is willing to stay in the sewers. What about other options? Of course it's true that a warehouse can be a good place to hold up, but it's a big space... how would you secure it? Any ideas?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #7 on: <01-28-11/2028:53> »
Better than the Barrens? Slightly lower devil rat population, fewer transients, same number of ghouls. Probably fewer gangers in general.

Other good places? Cheap apartments, warehouses, abandoned buildings, or anywhere else not immediately associated with the character in question.

If your character is typically a low-lying street samurai scum-bag, no one will look for him at a pent-house apartment, attending the social event of the season.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-28-11/2032:37> »
And even when people do suspect high-society types, they tend to get much different treatment, basically gossip instead of police raids. See also: Bat Man, Green Hornet, Jack the Ripper, etc.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <01-29-11/0047:07> »
A valid point. But then again it's kind of specific. What makes it any better than the barrens? or some equally desolate place? Also, I have a feeling that not everyone is willing to stay in the sewers. What about other options? Of course it's true that a warehouse can be a good place to hold up, but it's a big space... how would you secure it? Any ideas?
Well, the warehouse is an obvious way to go. But that works better as a Team Meeting type of place. What I was think of is just a shipping container. Great camouflage and big enough to crash and stockpile necessities.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-29-11/0133:32> »
And as a bonus, easy to move if you need to ! The only trouble is that it's a bit small to be troll-friendly.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-29-11/0408:13> »
Well, the warehouse is an obvious way to go. But that works better as a Team Meeting type of place. What I was think of is just a shipping container. Great camouflage and big enough to crash and stockpile necessities.
That is actually pretty awesome. never thought of it! *scribbles down notes* I'd have a few extra measures in place too though, shotgun trap for instance, or if it was a place i kept sensitive info rig it to burn unless right buttons get pressed within 30 seconds or something along those lines....
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-29-11/0858:12> »
Coffin hotels, fake SINs with their own lifestyle... still, there's no substitute like leaving town if things go bad - or are expected to.  Can sleep on a train, boat or bus easily enough.  Hire a smuggler to get you out a little less publicly, if needed.  Go camping, either urban (finding a nice box in an alley) or rural (a little scarier in the sixth world, but that's how it goes).

Contacts are good, too.  Crash at someone else's place for a day or two, then move on.  Return the favor when possible.  Helps build relationships.  Owe someone and they'll want to keep you around to pay them back.  Just be a good guest so the balance doesn't tip toward "worth more to them than me".

Assuming you're not encumbered by high morals, just break into someone else's home and make it your own for a while.  That's no small amount of potential trouble, but few people can plan for you to do something like this, let alone know which one you'll choose.

Morg

« Reply #13 on: <01-29-11/1407:50> »
Have your Hacker check travel agencies for long term trips track the perchance to the home, hack the home firewall to check if you can use it via the spyware installed in the appliances to make sure no one is making regular house calls, have the house cleaning drones make a map of how the house looked before you got there and have them put it back when you leave, use an automated food delivery system to bring supply when no one is around to notice(repeat as needed) it is not perfect but nothing ever is

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #14 on: <01-29-11/1502:25> »
The whole of the barrens is a safehouse.

Test to survive in an urban environment without spending a yen is Willpower + Survival (1).