NEWS

High armor PC's

• 253 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <09-29-10/0444:29> »
Personal armor is an amazing thing nowadays.  Have you seen the bomb squad armor?  Thick and very protective, I forsee future armors providing similar protection with half the bulk.  I've even seen a personal armor capable of stopping AK-47 ammunition fired point blank.

Should someone walk away from a grenade blast at point blank?  With the crazy heavy milspec armor + body augs I can see them taking the hit (not undamaged, just being able to be alive).  I got no issue with the vagaries of dice and random chance of the real world.  If the potential for demise is there, then I'm happy, regardless of whether or not the target actually died I prefer that the chance be there.

I don't agree with GM handwaving someone into soup.  The rules should support the possibility, and not rely on GM wrangling to make it happen.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Max Anderson

• Newb
« Reply #46 on: <09-29-10/0953:17> »
I agree. Someone with 20+ dice to resist is really, really tough. Inhumanely tough, even. So it doesn't bother me if someone like that takes a grenade and is stil able to walk (he probably won't get out without a scratch, though).

But as a GM, I know some things are pretty much insta-kill. If you're defenseless and someone points a pistol at the back of your head at point-blank range, then if he pulls the trigger, you're dead. Trapped in a building rigged to explode ? Chunky salsa.

These instances are pretty rare, and as a GM, the player should :
a) not get into these situations in the first place if they can
b) know that sometimes, you don't fight (for the first exemple), if I put them in these situations

System

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: <09-29-10/1329:31> »
The rules should support the possibility, and not rely on GM wrangling to make it happen.
Yes, but that requires you to consider the rules to be infallible, and well, we've seen that isn't true.  For pretty much any system.

Hence why every game has a pile of house rules for every table and every community.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <09-29-10/1335:06> »
True, but the solution should exist within the rules framework and not in the whims of the GM.
There is no overkill.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #49 on: <09-29-10/1344:19> »
If they had designed the game to be as lethal as "real life", players would not be as interested in the game since it would take one round to aim at someone and take a shot to get a clean headshot kill. The game is meant to be cinematic, hence the reason it's harder to kill someone.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <09-29-10/1347:31> »
It's actually just as hard/easy to kill someone IRL as it is in SR.  For evidence, I call on Jerry Curry http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/shooting-outside-courthouse/6v4d25x.
There is no overkill.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #51 on: <09-29-10/1503:59> »
If they had designed the game to be as lethal as "real life", players would not be as interested in the game since it would take one round to aim at someone and take a shot to get a clean headshot kill. The game is meant to be cinematic, hence the reason it's harder to kill someone.
I've always worked under the assumption that not every hit is a clean hit.  That most are grazing hits or they pass through only meat or are ricochets or something.  I figure most of the characters are moving around, ducking in and out of cover, and generally trying not to get hit.  Rather than just standing there like a big, humanoid target.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #52 on: <09-30-10/1133:44> »
I've always worked under the assumption that not every hit is a clean hit.  That most are grazing hits or they pass through only meat or are ricochets or something.  I figure most of the characters are moving around, ducking in and out of cover, and generally trying not to get hit.  Rather than just standing there like a big, humanoid target.
I'm sorry did someone mention me? ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #53 on: <10-01-10/1925:06> »
I'm sorry did someone mention me? Grin
If you like the abuse, then go for it, I guess.  Just beware nanites.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #54 on: <10-05-10/0941:33> »
Even with 20 armor i do not see the problem ???
Catch him offguard with someone using called shot ignoring armor. Even -20 dices may be OK, when you use some aiming ...target unaware of atack = no defence possible  ;D, so all you need is just a single hit with that assault rifle firing full-auto burst :)... and this 1 hit comes with the edge. That would slow him down or sometimes even better...Good night, armored pride...

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #55 on: <10-05-10/1528:44> »
Or with an Edge of 4, you could just call the shot to bypass armor (even a bazillion armor) and Longshot it with Edge for 1 auto-hit.  Use a good enough rifle (read: assault cannon) and they go down.
There is no overkill.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #56 on: <10-05-10/1606:18> »
You can also pull an old D&D favorite of mine and collapse the structure on top of them.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <10-05-10/1747:27> »
You can also pull an old D&D favorite of mine and collapse the structure on top of them.

Yeah, but then at the end the hand pops up from the rubble. And then you gotta spend the whole sequel being hunted by a deformed psychopath. No thankyou. :)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #58 on: <10-05-10/1914:36> »
Just hope it's not one that can shamble faster than you can run.  They seem to like doing that.  And try not to trip.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #59 on: <10-05-10/2358:41> »
Also don't have relations, they seem to always get you while you're in the act. Don't separate from the group. Don't investigate a strange noise and relax when a cat runs by, something disturbed it. Don't walk backwards down a corridor. That about covers it.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada