NEWS

[SR5] Skills making me a bit confused.

• 3 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <04-11-14/0254:58> »
So I was poking around for inspiration for an upcoming campaign and saw this image run by.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/239/c/b/Natasha_Kreskov_by_Scebiqu.jpg (Scebiqu on DA for source.)
My first thought, instantly, was "ORC HACKER." And I promptly set about making her.
There's just one catch; I don't remember how important certain skills are.

I'm still very fuzzy on exactly what social skills you might need if you don't intend to be a face. Are they something EVERYONE needs? Or just a few people? The GM is offline, so I can't pester...
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <04-11-14/0648:00> »
Well it depends on whether you ever want to be able to just talk with your contacts and random NPCs in ways that don't involve massive tests but simply getting some social activity done. Negotiation is useful for shopping or bribing a bouncer, a few points (bought through karma most likely) of Etiquette can help when dealing with contacts, gangs, things like that. Con is for smoothtalking a security guard or a distrusting cop. So it depends on how socially inept you want to make your character.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-11-14/0903:02> »
Ah, so a lack of that skill is ineptitude, not 'I'm a normal person.' THank you, that's what I was trying to figure out. :)
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #3 on: <04-11-14/0946:33> »
0 ranks in a skill means you've never been trained or have little experience with the skill in question. You have to fall back on your natural abilities (Attributes). If your Attribute related to the skill is good and you can use the skill untrained, you may be okay by just defaulting to your attribute.

Then there is unaware in a skill. You can only get this through certain Negative Qualities like Uneducated, Uncouth, and Inept. That's a special level of not knowing WTF you're doing where you can't even attempt a test for a skill in which you are unaware.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal