NEWS

[SR5] Raising attributes with Karma at character creation

• 18 Replies

CopperHead

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <02-28-14/1345:44> »
I have a group of 3 completely-new-to-Shadowrun players I GM for, and this question came up straight out of the gate during Character Creation. I kept it simple, and House-Ruled that spending Karma on Attributes, Skills, Contacts and Nuyen was the last step in the Creation process. I view it as the stat points you gain from the Priority Table establish your character's raw Baseline of Ability, or Inherent Potential. Spending Karma is a conscious act of focusing on specific portions of the character for improvement. I feel this leads better into Spending Karma during Gameplay, with a consistent conceptual model of how Karma works.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #16 on: <02-28-14/1405:07> »
That's how I handle it, generally.  To my mind, it's simpler to just do all the baseline assignments and then the Karma represents the experience the character has acquired before the game begins.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bewilderbeast

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-01-14/0332:24> »
If you're going to power-game, reaching for Knowledge skills or Contacts points isn't really the way to do it. The RAW are ambiguous, but I consider this a non-issue. As a GM, I'd personally rule in favor of the player.
"Dialogue"
<<Matrix/Comm>>
"Astral"
Thoughts

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <03-01-14/0602:03> »
Now getting your GM to houserule Initiation at chargen and going for Magic 9 with Quickening, Centering and Shielding...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!