NEWS

laser weapons yay/nay?

• 43 Replies

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« on: <10-16-12/0840:17> »
how do gents, looking at laser weaponry at the moment and trying to figure out whether its actually worth it.
so far i've come up with:
PRO
powerful: does plenty of damage
penetrating: half impact armour only to absorb damage is good!
steady: no recoil

CON
pricey: high cost, offset a bit by not needing any RC mods.
forbidden: dont get caught with one!
hungry: use a stack of 'ammo'
vulnerable: thermal smoke is gonna ruin your day
misc: have to use restricted gear for guns and ammo packs + exotic skills to use them @ chargen.

so it looks like something you have to build a char around really, have i missed anything?
anyone using laser weaps regularly? what do you think?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #1 on: <10-16-12/0853:53> »
I've never really been a fan of lasers for those reasons. realistically, the classics are far more reliable and less of a signature. switch APDS or the like if you need to down something heavy. Also, lasers can't be switched to non-lethal by simply changing the clip.

Personally, I'd only consider using them for a high-end Knight-Errant team, or mounted on a vehicle and using gunnery. As a runner there are better options available cheaper.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Mournclaw

• Chummer
  • The trees have eyes... And so do I!
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-12/0856:02> »
And doesn't their damage go down on long ranges...?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <10-16-12/0859:11> »
I tend to avoid exotic weapons of all stripes for two reasons.

1) Since they're exotic, they make you stand out a helluvalot more than if you're another guy with a Predator.

2) If you use a Predator and are disarmed, you can pick up any pistol and be good. If you lose your expensive exotic weapon, you can't just pick up another one.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-16-12/0910:01> »
lasers are pretty awesome vs spirits (WHO YOU 'GONNA CALL?)) due to the half armor. I wouldn't consider them for starting gear, but in the long run the investment in the weapon and the skill (karma or skillsoft) seem a good addition to round up a weapons expert.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-16-12/0920:11> »
Actually, instead of using the exotic skill, I'd probably mount them on a drone or vehicle, since that would tie into the gunnery skill, or be used with a targeting autosoft.

Heh. Actually, a Reaper with a laser, a machine gun, and two bombs would be a nasty foe. I like it...

My Characters

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-12/1027:05> »
Would an articulated weapon arm take gunnery? I'm thinking of Mr. Ork with heavy milspec armor. That kinda reminds me of Predator.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-16-12/1049:13> »
What you do is give it a pilot rating for the smartgun and let it fire itself at targets like an autonomous drone.  ;D

Or, in extremely nasty cases, wear yourself a tricked out Iron Will suit. I remember seeing a build a long time ago for one of those that had a mounted Vindicator and Grenade Launcher on that fired on their own.

If you plan it out right a Drone with Pilot 6, Smartgun (+2), Targetting 4, and a Rating 4 Tacnet running  will be throwing 16 dice to shoot itself/it's weapons. It's pretty easy to get enough channels for the drone to be a member of a tactical net too.

I agree with most of the users though. Lasers are best when mounted and in campaigns with a nice funding budget.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-16-12/1054:32> »
An Underbarrel Laser would make a darn Good Back Up Weapon (especially to an Enfield AS 7 or any other  Shotgun)

with a Back Up Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-16-12/1102:05> »
Lasers suck. They have one niche, which is that the laser pistol is the best concealable weapon you can get for taking out very heavily armored vehicles - but they have to be very heavily armored (-half AP is only better than just taking a Super Warhawk and putting in APDS if the target has 13 or more armor (6P/-5 versus 5P/-half means both need 3 net hits at that point). The heavier lasers are worse than a Gauss Rifle in every way except for your ability to shout PEW PEW while using them.

I don't think one niche of usefulness justifies taking an entire skill. Also, you can't specialize, so you're down 2 dice right there. The only time I would bother with a laser is on a Skillwires user with enough money to make blowing the nuyen for the skillsoft and a laser pistol worth the niche.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #10 on: <10-16-12/1106:19> »
great stuff, glad i didnt miss anything. ta!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-16-12/1128:47> »
Hmm. A Technomancer with the biowire echo could get a hacked version of the skillsoft (or 'rent' it from Singularity), and then emulate it as a complex form...

My Characters

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-16-12/1249:01> »
The only laser I want is a targeting beacon for a Thor station. 8)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-16-12/1250:58> »
Except you would only get one shot with that before the whole Corporate Court decides to hunt your ass down, Red. They do NOT take kindly to people playing with orbital bombardment weapons. Unless they're the ones playing around.

My Characters

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-16-12/1253:59> »
Yeah, I know that. One can dream though.