NEWS

Tools, Kits and Workspaces--superior?

• 4 Replies

Pericles

• Newb
« on: <02-19-18/1239:52> »
Perhaps (maybe even likely) I'm missing something in the rules. Also possible--the rules are once again missing something.

1. On the Build/Repair (SR 146) table, it lists options for various levels of working conditions.

1a.  Are these up to the GM to rule on what your working conditions are?

2. On the same table, it lists options for inadequate or superior tools. 
2a.  Where are superior tools listed?  In the gear listings (SR 443) it lists kits, shops, and facilities. Am I missing where it gives  a cost for superior tools?

3. I assume tools and kits are the same thing. Is this true?

Thanks!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <02-19-18/1733:37> »
A tool is a hammer.

A kit is a collection tools for a particular job. (My electrical kit is 76 tools!).

A facility is a place set up handle a task. Like the autoshop you take your car to after a fenderbender...

Costs are not listed for superior tools because, just like in life, they vary by a wide margin. (Stanley linesmen pliers at Walmart $20. Greenlee Linesmen from a electrical supplier $70. Kline Linesmen $120)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <02-20-18/0056:50> »
Depending on where your character is working, your GM decides what the appropriate modifier for working conditions is.  You're free to argue if you think the location isn't as bad as the GM says it is, though.  Just try not to get too aggressive and start a fight or anything.  Like "Your apartment living room is Terrible, -4."  "It's not that bad; my character just moved in, there's no mess and lots of room."  "Well, alright...  It's still not great, but maybe just Poor is fine.  Building a drone on a coffee table is far from ideal."
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Pericles

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-20-18/0811:13> »
Thanks for the responses!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <02-20-18/0905:02> »
one rule of thumb I use is if the tools are a step up from what is needed, it counts as superior.  So you need a kit to replace a wheel (assuming you have a replacement), but a shop or facility would give a +1.  (No fiddling around with a jack and cheap tire iron, just hoist it up and use the air powered wrench)

But I'd also consider superior having the exact tools for the job -- you just took a repair kit from the technician who maintains the Ares Alpha guns for a firewatch squad, and you are working on an Ares Alpha.  (You have exactly the right tools in exactly the right sizes and configurations for what you are doing).