NEWS

Would these qualities be balanced, broken or maybe workable?

• 11 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-16-18/1655:28> »
Just idle musings really but I'm wondering if these qualities would be reasonable?

Split concentration
Pre-requisites: Focused concentration rank 2
Benefit: Split concentration allows a mage to sustain multiple spells without penalty. They can split the ranks of focused concentration between multiple spells for example at focused concentration rank 2 they can sustain a force 2 spell or 1-2 force 1 ones. At focused concentration 3 they can sustain a force 3 spell, a force 2 and a force 1 spell or 1-3 force 1 spells and so on.

Unconscious concentration
Pre-requisites: Focused concentration rank 3
Benefit: A mage can continue sustaining ONE spell of force (focused concentration rank -2) while asleep IF they enter a sleeping state voluntarily and peacefully. For example they can sustain a low force ward or healing circle if they fall sleep normally but not a hot potato spell if knocked unconscious in combat.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-18/1704:22> »
I personally like this idea. Is there a limit to the number of ranks a character can have?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-18/1717:10> »
Seems very similar to Mastery Qualities. I like them though suspect a lot of shenanigans with reagents to get high force spells sustained a bit like quickening.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-18/1748:05> »
For split concentration, no, no way, bad juju. Abusing multiple force 1 spells with reagents and free sustaining is no good.

I can't think of anything abusive off the top of my head for unconscious concentration.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-18/1816:36> »
@ShadowcatX, do you have a specific scenario in mind where Split Concentration would be troublesome?

Combat spells aren't sustaining, so there's no issue there. Detection spells use Force for their range, so there's a motivation not to cast them at Force 1. Increase Attributes is also dependent on Force, so that won't work at F1. Illusion spells would be candidates for Split Concentration, but I haven't found them to be game-breaking. Possibly the concern would be around Combat Sense or Increase Reflexes, but using reagents for those just makes them more expensive (albeit less addictive) versions of drugs.

Of course, much of this would come down to how much these new qualities would cost in terms of karma, but on the surface neither of them seem lamentably overpowered to me.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-16-18/1832:10> »
I have a vague recall focused concentration has a limit of 6 but I don't have access to my books right now. These ones for now are a one off purchase since to benefit from them you also have to buy focused concentration.

I'd also be interested in hearing if there's specific spells that would be an issue with split concentration because honestly I thought the other quality was more likely to be an issue.

No karma costs as yet since like I said I don't have access to my books and I wanted to check other qualities I was thinking maybe 8 karma for each but that is just a rough ballpark for now and. May be too high/low.

EDIT
That's 4 at character creation and 8 afterwards for the qualities, I just said 8 because I didn't see any point for taking either of these at creation.
« Last Edit: <02-16-18/1852:50> by Senko »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #6 on: <02-16-18/1907:28> »
Manipulation spells, such as armor comes to mind. Any mental spell, allowing you to control multiple people simultaneously without the normal strain. Any illusion spell. Physical Mask, topped by improved invisibility and false impression with a dash of improved reflexes?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-16-18/2144:04> »
All the spells that work off successes, there's a couple that give dodge dice, armor, increased reflexes, detection spells, just whatever.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-16-18/2327:36> »
Hmm like I said I don't have access to my books right now but would those examples hold up with a restriction on the quality that it works on unmodified I.e no reagents spells because your sitting your attention too much to play around with the limits of the spells it's applied too or would that be too big a deviation from the rules?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <02-17-18/1104:06> »
@ShadowcatX, do you have a specific scenario in mind where Split Concentration would be troublesome?
Sustaining Combat Sense, Increase Reflexes, Mob Mind, and Improved Invisibility at the same time.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-17-18/1523:19> »
When you have to house rule rules for another house rule not to break the game, you're probably better off without the original house rule.

Focused Concentration is a fine quality by itself, it doesn't need house rules to make it better, and magicians certainly don't need house rules to make them better.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-17-18/1838:08> »
Not a house rule just positive qualities and it's restrictions in the quality. Still I think I've gotten the answer I wanted. Split concentration has a large potential for abuse and people will do that (I've played with that type) so better not to introduce it by the unconscious concentration can work since it won't work in combat scenarios only down time role-playing scenarios.