NEWS

Need suggestions/good examples of uncommon phobias.

• 42 Replies

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <01-17-16/0044:03> »
I'd like to point out that on the negative quality side of the house, there's no real problem with going over the 25 points limit.  The downside is you'll have more than 25 points worth of negative qualities, but only gain 25 points of Karma.

You can take the quality, get the negative effects, but not gain more than the total karma.  Unless missions took away that option, in which case, carry on.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <01-17-16/0150:21> »
For the Uncommon Phobia quality on my last few character builds, I went with spiders. *says in Christian BaleBatman voice* My characters should share my phobia.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-17-16/0157:05> »
I'd like to point out that on the negative quality side of the house, there's no real problem with going over the 25 points limit.  The downside is you'll have more than 25 points worth of negative qualities, but only gain 25 points of Karma.

You can take the quality, get the negative effects, but not gain more than the total karma.  Unless missions took away that option, in which case, carry on.

It was argued very heatedly early on by some that it was 25 points of negative karma, period. Bull stated that you can go over 25 points of negative karma, but you couldn't gain more than 25 points of karma (as your post states). He also stated that you could take negative qualities that were forbbiden for use in Shadowrun Missions (such as one of the Code of Honor flavors), for roleplaying purposes, but again you couldn't get any karma for them. As far as I know that ruling is still in effect with Shadowrun Missions, unless there's been a recent change.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <01-17-16/0458:30> »

It was argued very heatedly early on by some that it was 25 points of negative karma, period. Bull stated that you can go over 25 points of negative karma, but you couldn't gain more than 25 points of karma (as your post states). He also stated that you could take negative qualities that were forbbiden for use in Shadowrun Missions (such as one of the Code of Honor flavors), for roleplaying purposes, but again you couldn't get any karma for them. As far as I know that ruling is still in effect with Shadowrun Missions, unless there's been a recent change.

I Agree.  I can't imagine any reasonable GM not letting you go over the negative quality limit, if you're not getting the bonus for it.
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Gatlack

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <01-17-16/0623:00> »
Now fear of being trapped I see as a good possibility. it also fits in with her fear of the Serbian "Blacksuits" (secret police) back when she was in Zagreb.  When they showed up at your door, you were never seen again.

Is there a clinical name for that?
Maybe, maybe not. Wouldn't matter if there wasn't. The important part of phobias is, that you speak with your DM about them, so he can get an idea when/if he can trigger them.

EDIT: I found Cleithrophobia on a quick google search.
« Last Edit: <01-17-16/0627:07> by Gatlack »

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-17-16/0629:51> »
Now fear of being trapped I see as a good possibility. it also fits in with her fear of the Serbian "Blacksuits" (secret police) back when she was in Zagreb.  When they showed up at your door, you were never seen again.

Maybe, maybe not. Wouldn't matter if there wasn't. The important part of phobias is, that you speak with your DM about them, so he can get an idea when/if he can trigger them.

Yeah, there's a clinical name for just about anything; the only question is can you pronounce it?  ;D

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <01-17-16/0635:26> »
...one of the things I notices is that for the Phobia quality there are very few examples.

For a character I'm running in the Chicago Missions I took Claustrophobia as Uncommon with a Mild effect.  At the table I was told that it would actually be a Common Phobia which would then break the 25 karma limit. The character already has 20 points in negative qualities, all that relate to her and her background:

Having it at uncommon would dictate how often it would come up. Common would be things like elevators, tight corridors, etc. Uncommon might constitute crawl spaces and other places you can't full stand, sit, or pass through without angling. So your character wouldn't want to crawl under a car, but would have no problem in a 10 X 10 room.

Just a thought.

ProfGast

• Omae

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <01-18-16/0008:08> »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <01-18-16/0024:53> »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #40 on: <01-18-16/0134:19> »

...thank you.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #41 on: <01-18-16/0137:12> »
Check this one out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia
...hmm, better not go to Blackburn-Lancashire

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #42 on: <01-18-16/0141:49> »
...one of the things I notices is that for the Phobia quality there are very few examples.

For a character I'm running in the Chicago Missions I took Claustrophobia as Uncommon with a Mild effect.  At the table I was told that it would actually be a Common Phobia which would then break the 25 karma limit. The character already has 20 points in negative qualities, all that relate to her and her background:

Having it at uncommon would dictate how often it would come up. Common would be things like elevators, tight corridors, etc. Uncommon might constitute crawl spaces and other places you can't full stand, sit, or pass through without angling. So your character wouldn't want to crawl under a car, but would have no problem in a 10 X 10 room.

Just a thought.
...again that was my thinking that there are different levels of severity.  I'll have to discuss this further with our Missions group.