NEWS

Former DocWagon Health Mage- good idea or not?

• 6 Replies

Kinotu

• Newb
  • In a jam? Call the Doc.
« on: <05-13-18/1337:33> »
Hello. I am brand new to this forum and Shadowrun in general although I have read the Shadowrun books extensively. The basis of this post is that I have made an Ex-DocWagon Health Mage with Conjuring as a side focus on paper, but would like more experienced player input as to whether it would be doable in an actual session. The general breakdown is this:

Point Buy Generation (Prime Runner)
1) Human level E (0 points)
2) Magic level A (4 points)
3) Skills level A (4 points)
4) Attributes level C (2 points)
5) Money level E (0 points)

Main focus: Street Doc Hermetic Mage with buffing with Health spells as well as Healing Spell, Biotech skill group 5, Spirit of Man with Healing spell and a combat Spell, and Task Spirit with First Aid and Medicine Skills.

Metamagic: Spirit Expansion UMT to gain Task spirit as a summoning option.

Ritual Casting to set up circle of healing wards with Health spells at my “Home Clinic” into operating room and recovery ward.

Medicine, Biotechnology, and cyber technology skills to be able to attach, detach, and maintain other runners’ ware.

1 bound spirit of Man with Healing and Combat Spell, along with 1 Bound Task spirit with Medicine and First Aid skill that will be using remote service to run my home clinic while I am away or asleep as it will be 24/7. Anything involving ware will have to make an appointment with “the Doc”. Other 2 or so bound spirits will be body guards and extra fire power.

Spells: buff spells to make whoever is on the team even better at their job: Increase Strength for street samurai, Logic for Deckers, etc.

Primary Weapon: Parashield Dart pistol with Narcojet ammo.

PCs will be able to purchase services for the “Doc” much like you would with DocWagon but with more benefits at a much lower rate. Think about it, a team of 4 spirits with Healing and combat abilities at your location within seconds before DocWagon even got their guns loaded. I know that the main problem would be if there was a mana barrier, but at least this is an option if you need to go on Corp property and there is a brick and mortar building for you to get patched up at after a run if you don’t call it in. Based on my build, he could get you back to brand new in two days or less guaranteed which is handy if you have another run coming up.

I welcome all advise and constructive criticism. I know this build is not the best of the best, but I generally build my characters for support not just for the team but for the community.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-13-18/1410:59> »
Just quick thoughts..
You sound like you have a very focused concept so skills A won't be good for you (if you read these boards you will see it is not recommended for almost any char).
Just do:

A) Mage
B) Stats
C) Skills
D) Human (for the edge points.. they are very powerful)
E) Money

If this is an actual character write-up don't spend points on bound spirits at chargen. It's a waste of karma. Just buy reagents and bind them during play.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-06-18/2002:40> »

PCs will be able to purchase services for the “Doc” much like you would with DocWagon but with more benefits at a much lower rate.

So an npc?

Gorstavich

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-07-18/1640:19> »
PCs will be able to purchase services for the “Doc” much like you would with DocWagon but with more benefits at a much lower rate.

So an npc?

Or a player who knows in advance that they can't make every game session.  I've done that a few times, made a "subcontractor" (to fit in, story-wise) for a long-term group / team.
"ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!"

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <06-07-18/1827:10> »
Skill A is very rarely a good idea. Unless you have lot of experience in the system. I would certainly recommend what Overbyte suggested.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-07-18/2354:36> »

So an npc?

Or a player who knows in advance that they can't make every game session.  I've done that a few times, made a "subcontractor" (to fit in, story-wise) for a long-term group / team.

But at this point they are still part of the team. If your charging your teammates for healing I don't trust them to be teammates for very long.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <07-12-18/1351:03> »
As Bamce said, this sounds much more like an NPC than a playing character. Why should your runner mates pay you? Do you pay the Samurai when combat is needed? Do you pay the decker when something needs to be found on the matrix? Aren't you a team?

Medic is also bad as Main role in shadowrun (perfectly fine as side though), since healing practically can't be done during combat. PCs that are wounded tend to use a street doc if needed (or just heal at home).

If you are still going for medic, listen to Overbyte. Skills A are often a "trap". As a mage, you will of course be plenty helpful in all sorts of situations besides healing. Get a diverse set of spells, not just healing category.