NEWS

SR6 Technomancer Questions/Discussion

• 5 Replies

kr3wZ

• Newb
« on: <08-14-19/1959:27> »
One of my players wants to be a Technomancer so I'm reading through their section and had a question.  I know they can go through Submersion to get the Skin Link Echo which let's them interact with a device by touching it.  But in the Technomancer section they reference the Technomancer disconnecting from the Matrix or being on different grids (unless they get the other Echo that lets them be on all grids). 

My understanding was that the Technomancer is basically IN the Matrix at all times and basically sees AR or VR 24/7.  Seems like that is the wrong interpretation.  Do they connect/disconnect from the Matrix the same way a Decker does?  Is it just a decision they make to go in and out of it? 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-19/2014:10> »
A few things to unpack.

1) The Grid mechanic wasn't continued into 6th edition, although a couple references to Grids did make it in. They're not a thing anymore, and the hotfix has scrubbed the references to them. For example, the Transcend Grid complex form has been deleted entirely.

2) Pretty much everyone's in AR whenever they're awake. Those holographic advertisements that pop up in your vision? That's AR.  The holographic overlay you put on your hair so everyone sees you with neon pink instead of your natural color? That's AR. If you have access to a hard copy of the No Future sourcebook, it comes in a spiffy sleeve that shows you what AR looks like, and what the drab dreary real world looks like without AR :D  Of the non-technomancer population, only luddites who don't carry a commlink of any sort wouldn't be in AR.

3) Technomancers don't NEED the skinlink to hack devices.  Everything's got a wireless signal, and by default Technomancers can hack the same stuff without touching it the same way Deckers do via cyberdecks.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-14-19/2027:14> »
For example, the Transcend Grid complex form has been deleted entirely.

Wow, I guess I need to look through the errata more thoroughly.  Didn't even notice that on my first pass.

If you have access to a hard copy of the No Future sourcebook, it comes in a spiffy sleeve that shows you what AR looks like, and what the drab dreary real world looks like without AR

Yeah I have that and the Encyclopedia.  I love that sleeve.

Technomancers don't NEED the skinlink to hack devices.  Everything's got a wireless signal, and by default Technomancers can hack the same stuff without touching it the same way Deckers do via cyberdecks.

So what's the point of getting Skin Link if they did? 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-14-19/2034:28> »
So what's the point of getting Skin Link if they did?

Skinlink: You can connect to a device as if using
a DNI simply by touching it. This Echo is
only selected once.

It's less for hacking and more for using weapons and other gear that you'd normally need a datajack (or an unhip 'trode net on your head) to make use of.  But see also the Data Tap on pg 269 and Host Architecture on pg 185.  Having a direct connection does have its uses in hacking (tho less so than in 5e, when you used to gain concrete mechanical advantages)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-14-19/2039:30> »
Thank you for the info.  I guess I also need to look into DNI (Direct Neural Interface I assume). 

« Last Edit: <08-14-19/2042:34> by kr3wZ »

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-14-19/2221:40> »
So if a Decker finds nested hosts and makes his way to the physical location of the inner hosts, he can jack in and avoid all the OS he'd accrue from hacking multiple hosts deep.  How would a Technomancer handle that, going directly to the source?  Or would being inside the location be enough?  I feel like I'm overthinking this stuff.
« Last Edit: <08-14-19/2229:10> by kr3wZ »